PDA

View Full Version : Avanti hood and roof insert chrome or gold?

IMJ
04-30-2014, 03:22 PM
According to the SI catalog an Avanti hood insert prior to serial #4879 would have a gold ‘S’. I would assume that the roof inserts would be the same. But I assumed incorrectly more times than I can remember! The SI catalog also shows a gold ‘S’ roof insert available for the “early ‘63” Avanti. Being that my Avanti is #4242 I wouldn’t consider it to be an early ‘63 since around #4892 was the transition to model year ’64.

SI catalog – prior #4879 hood insert = Gold ‘S’ [which is virtually all ’63 models(4892)]
SI catalog – early ’63 Avanti roof insert = Gold ‘S’

Can someone tell me which ‘S’ should be on this car and should the hood and the roof insert be the same color? Thanks.
regards,
Jay

StudeRich
04-30-2014, 04:04 PM
I think most people are using matching Silver Emblems both places for square headlight, Dual cowl vent, Obvious '64's, but you decide, just make them Match.

The funny thing about this is the Avanti Parts Catalog printed Dec. '63 in Group 2160-103 shows the Roof Pillar Emblems with only one Part Number: 1351167, so to come up with that 1351167W for Gold, Ed would have to have later info, but no Serial Number is available for the change. Wouldn't it make sense for them to Match the Hood Emblem change at 4879 though?

As some of you know, the Metal Trim Parts, Nameplates, Emblems etc. that were PLATED, were identified as V for Chrome and W for Gold and VP for Painted and Chrome. But I have never seen it applied to Plastic, it could have been. :confused:

If someone still has the Parts Price List from late '63 or '64, the way to find out, is to look it up and see if 1351167W & V even exist, or were they "made up" to make them match!

studegary
04-30-2014, 04:31 PM
Your Avanti (4242) was built three months prior to 4879 and the first square headlight Avanti (4892). Your Avanti was also built well before the end of what is considered to be 1964 model production or the transition Avantis.
I would go with both in gold for your Avanti.

IMJ
05-01-2014, 10:32 AM
The funny thing about this is the Avanti Parts Catalog printed Dec. '63 in Group 2160-103 shows the Roof Pillar Emblems with only one Part Number: 1351167, so to come up with that 1351167W for Gold, Ed would have to have later info, but no Serial Number is available for the change. Wouldn't it make sense for them to Match the Hood Emblem change at 4879 though?

That theory seems to make sense. I spoke with a friend that has an early '63 Avanti. I think it was in 1 of the first 200 built. Granted he didn't have it from new but he is pretty sure it had the original insignias on the roof and the hood. His had a gold hood insignia and chrome roof insignias. I too think it would look best to have all the insignias match and maybe that was Ed's thought as well but not Studebaker's, initially.
regards,
Jay

JDP
05-01-2014, 02:21 PM
That theory seems to make sense. I spoke with a friend that has an early '63 Avanti. I think it was in 1 of the first 200 built. Granted he didn't have it from new but he is pretty sure it had the original insignias on the roof and the hood. His had a gold hood insignia and chrome roof insignias. I too think it would look best to have all the insignias match and maybe that was Ed's thought as well but not Studebaker's, initially.
regards,
Jay

When I did the dies for both emblems back in the 80's I did all the roof in chrome, but the hood in both as per the factory, anything else is not "stock", even if you think it looks better to match with all gold.

stude dude
05-01-2014, 02:34 PM
I believe there has been some information in Turning Wheels or elsewhere that gave the serial numbers for the emblem changes on the hood and roof, and that they were not changed from gold to silver at the same time.

Chris.

IMJ
05-01-2014, 09:33 PM
When I did the dies for both emblems back in the 80's I did all the roof in chrome, but the hood in both as per the factory, anything else is not "stock", even if you think it looks better to match with all gold.

If I understand this correctly, does that mean that none of the Avantis had gold insignias on the roof? And even the Avantis up to a certain serial number that would have left the factory with a gold insignia on the hood would have still had the chrome insignias on the roof? Thanks for clearing up the mystery!
regards,
Jay

JDP
05-01-2014, 09:44 PM
If I understand this correctly, does that mean that none of the Avantis had gold insignias on the roof? And even the Avantis up to a certain serial number that would have left the factory with a gold insignia on the hood would have still had the chrome insignias on the roof? Thanks for clearing up the mystery!
regards,
Jay

You are correct.

JBOYLE
05-02-2014, 02:09 AM
For what it's worth...
My Avanti is considerably earlier than your car. It has, and has always had, silver roof emblems. It does have a gold hood emblem.
My car (2788) was produced in late January, 63...and is not considered an "early" Avanti.

stude dude
05-02-2014, 03:53 AM
You are correct.

So how do you explain a pair of N.O.S. side roof emblems with gold 'S' and several used ones?

63r2
05-02-2014, 10:04 AM
So how do you explain a pair of N.O.S. side roof emblems with gold 'S' and several used ones?
Maybe they were used on Gold cars ?
pb

stude dude
05-03-2014, 01:51 AM
Maybe they were used on Gold cars ?
pb

People don't read the parts book. Its that simple. All of the correct answers are out there somewhere.

Chris.

StudeRich
05-03-2014, 02:37 AM
People don't read the parts book. Its that simple. All of the correct answers are out there somewhere.Chris.

All you need to know is in post #2 and verified by post #5 & 8. The rest can not be proven, so take your best guess as to what happened with these Emblems.

stude dude
05-03-2014, 07:26 AM
All you need to know is in post #2 and verified by post #5 & 8. The rest can not be proven, so take your best guess as to what happened with these Emblems.

Sorry but I dont agree, and I am not convinced by any of those posts. I am sure a lot of Avanti owners who have bought original cars, or found N.O.S. emblems would also agree. Ed Reynolds or maybe Andy Beckman could probably add some information on this if the original engineering drawrings are still available.