Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converting a ‘64 160mph speedo to a ‘63?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting a ‘64 160mph speedo to a ‘63?

Jay, I have a 64 Marshal and if you can't use it, I'd like to buy it from you

Comment

I've got an extra used '63 Lark style 160 speedo. (see pictures below)
      Click image for larger version

Name:	speedo lark 160 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1688796Click image for larger version

Name:	speedo lark 160 2.jpg
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	1688797Click image for larger version

Name:	speedo lark 160 3.jpg
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	1688798

At some point in it's life the needle fell off, and put light scratches in the face of the gauge from rattling around in the case - it is certainly a used item. If interested, PM me with a wild insane offer I can't refuse!
      Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
      \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Jay, I believe Stude Intnl. has reproduction faceplates for the 160 mph speedos. I got one for my brothers 63 a few years back, and had a local speedo shop replace it. It worked out perfectly. Hope this helps, B.V.

Comment

bill, was that SI face plate for the Avanti or Lark?

Comment

Originally posted by bill van alstyne View Post
            Jay, I believe Stude Intnl. has reproduction faceplates for the 160 mph speedos. I got one for my brothers 63 a few years back, and had a local speedo shop replace it. It worked out perfectly. Hope this helps, B.V.
            I just had a look at SI online catalog, only saw them for Avanti's.
            1964 GT Hawk
            PSMCDR 2014
            Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
            PSMCDR 2013
            Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

If you can find a face or have one made any good speedometer shop could recalibrate a 120 mph speedometer to work. Then you could sell the 64 speedo.

Comment

Originally posted by 61Lark View Post
                If you can find a face or have one made any good speedometer shop could recalibrate a 120 mph speedometer to work. Then you could sell the 64 speedo.
                True.. here is a 61, 160mph speedo

Comment

I imagine the fuel gauge got a workout too.

Originally posted by 2R2 View Post
                  At some point in it's life the needle fell off, and put light scratches in the face of the gauge from rattling around in the case - it is certainly a used item.

I wonder how many times it took to peg the needle before it said 'enough is enough!'

regards,
                  Jay

Comment

Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me View Post
                    I just had a look at SI online catalog, only saw them for Avanti's.
                    If you look carefully these are wrong even for the Avanti. The 160 isn't printed in the right direction, I think these are ok for later Avanti II but don't match the original 63 SW graphics. That being said, does anyone have a correct Avanti 160 Speedo-working or not, just need the face. Somewhere in the history of 63R1517 a 140 from an R1 was used to replace the original 160. Most likely to hide the true miles on the car, most people wouldn't know it was incorrect to have a 140 in an R2.

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
                      If you look carefully these are wrong even for the Avanti. The 160 isn't printed in the right direction, I think these are ok for later Avanti II but don't match the original 63 SW graphics. That being said, does anyone have a correct Avanti 160 Speedo-working or not, just need the face. Somewhere in the history of 63R1517 a 140 from an R1 was used to replace the original 160. Most likely to hide the true miles on the car, most people wouldn't know it was incorrect to have a 140 in an R2.
                      I wouldn't go off of the image of the 160 mph face that S.I. has on their website as a representation of the actual part.

Your car might still have the original 140 mph speedometer, even though it is an R2.

Comment

IMJ, I sent you a PM.

Comment

You are among the very few Jay, most are trying to make the MUCH rarer Silver/Green '64 Speedo from a '63!
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                          X