Identifying 289 V8 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Identifying 289 V8 ?

Hi Everybody got this engine with a 63 lark Standard trying to figure out what year engine, what car it came out of, what horespower rating it had.Im new to studebakers owned few but never restored one so I going to have a ton of questions hopefuly I wont were out my welcome.This will be my first engine rebuild I wanting to turbocharge it thinking about 2 Im building 63 2dr lark standard its a stripper model so I will be doing alot of modifying to it.I have my own shop and always working on customers cars this ones mine plus Im building it to show people my skills.Here are pictures of Rango yes I named it and engine number.Thanks in advance for ya'lls help.Shawn

Shawn, your other thread shows the engine number as being P95570. That is a standard, 1963 model year 289 engine.

It did not come in an Avanti or a truck; it was originally shipped in a 1963 Lark or Hawk. Considerable research would be required to determine the Serial Number of the Vehicle in which it was originally installed, and from that the model of the vehicle, although it can be done. It can't be done by just looking at the engine number, however.

It has a 2bbl carburetor, so it was rated at 210 HP. That's really all that can be deciphered from the stamped engine number.
    BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Shawn.

Here is the Link from the "Home Page", then: "Resources", then: "Tech. Tips Specs and Data", and then:
      "UPDATED! Studebaker V/8 Engine Identification".

If you scan down to the bottom you will see where to look for your Engine Serial Number.

Shawn, you can use the "Edit" button at the bottom of your posts to fix errors, typos left out Pics etc. even delete a unwanted Post.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 04-29-2014, 06:51 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Identify 289 V8

Sorry picture didnt come thru hope it works this time
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Bob just excited about my car and learning.I will do better at spelling I just get in a hurry.Shawn

Comment

Shawn-- I can see from the picture that you have the 2 barrel manifold that is easily modified to become a 4 barrel manifold. I believe Bob Helm studebaker (in Texas, I think) does this on exchange basis, possibly others do, too. Just FYI.
            1950 Commander Land Cruiser
            1951 Champion Business Coupe
            1951 Commander Starlight
            1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
            1953 Champion Starlight
            1953 Commander Starliner
            1953 2R5
            1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
            1957 Silver Hawk
            1957 3E5 Pick-Up
            1959 Silver Hawk
            1961 Hawk