PDA

View Full Version : Highway 31 to South Bend

unclemiltie
04-29-2014, 08:12 AM
I came up to South Bend yesterday. I came my favorite way, i70 to 465 to 31. There was a lot of construction on 31 and the interchange at 465/31 was actually closed and I had to go 5 miles up the road. It was really slow going.

The nice part is the only completed section is the one bypassing Kokomo and man that was nice nice.

This is meant as a heads up to those coming to the Swap later this week. I am going to go home a different way.

I came up early to help Don at the Avanti House.

JoeHall
04-29-2014, 10:46 AM
Appreciate the heads up. We plan to leave around 4PM Thursday from Fort Knox, KY area, about 35 miles south of Louisville. I usually take the beltway around Indi and pick up 31 North all gthe way to SB. Sounds like we'll be getting off a different exit then backtrack to 31. I will try to let the GPS do its thing to get me back on 31, if getting off at a different exit.

The 56J is chompin at the bit to get on the road :)

TX Rebel
04-29-2014, 01:13 PM
As much as I detest the idea of going near Chicongo, I may have to take that route rather than 31, which is not a good route anytime. I will just have to make a point of getting there very late at night, and carefully monitoring I-80 traffic.

Appreciate the heads up. We plan to leave around 4PM Thursday from Fort Knox, KY area, about 35 miles south of Louisville. I usually take the beltway around Indi and pick up 31 North all gthe way to SB. Sounds like we'll be getting off a different exit then backtrack to 31. I will try to let the GPS do its thing to get me back on 31, if getting off at a different exit.

The 56J is chompin at the bit to get on the road :)

2R5
04-29-2014, 01:43 PM
I just came up 31 about 3 weeks ago and there was construction just north of Indy but the rest wasn't bad at all.

BobPalma
04-29-2014, 02:55 PM
OK, you guys who are used to taking I-465 around to the top of Indianapolis from any direction and getting off at U.S. 31 to go north to South Bend: Milt is right; U.S. 31 is closed a couple blocks north of I-465.

My wife and I travel in that area all the time: Several times a week going from our home west of Indianapolis to our church and our daughter and son-in-law's house to babysit.

Here's the trick to avoid most of the construction on 31:

1. Take I-465 around to U.S. 31 north, as usual.

2. Get off on U.S. 31 but do not go north. Rather, go SOUTH, like you are going down into Indianapolis.

3. Go south one short block to the first traffic light, which is 96th Street. There is a McDonald's on the corner.

4. Go WEST on 96th Street one block.

5. You'll come to a roundabout, which is Spring Mill Road going north and south.

6. Go north on Spring Mill Road and stay on it for several miles. It runs parallel to U.S. 31, but is a block west of 31. There are many roundabouts, but keep going north on Spring Mill Road.

7. You'll finally get to a large intersection with a Stop Light, which is IND 32 going east and west. Turn Right (go east) on 32 a couple blocks and you'll be back to U.S. 31 North. (NOTE: That is not the first stop light you come to on Spring Mill Road. You will have gone through stop lights at 146th street and 161st street.)

8. Turn back left (NORTH) on 31 and you're back on your way to South Bend, as usual.

The above will NOT bypass all the construction, but is direct and will get you past most of it. As I said, my wife and I use that route several times a week. :cool: BP

JoeHall
04-29-2014, 03:49 PM
Thanks Bob,
Even I can follow those instructions. (I am never lost, but sometimes disoriented) :)

ivorydan
04-29-2014, 04:17 PM
Bob's route will certainly get you there. You can also take I465 to the State Road 431, Keystone Parkway exit no. 33, approximately 2 1/2 miles east of US 31. Go north. It'll loop back into 31 in about 5 miles. After 96th st. you don't stop till you get back to 31. Dan

BobPalma
04-29-2014, 07:09 PM
As Dan said in Post #7, if you are approaching U.S. 31 from the EAST, get off before U.S. 31, at Keystone Parkway. Then go north on KP to loop back into U.S.31.

My instructions in Post #5 apply only if you are approaching U.S. 31 from the west side of Indianapolis. ;) BP

04-29-2014, 07:14 PM
If you are approaching US31 on I-465 East from the west, you can take the US421 North (Michigan Road) exit to IN32 East (turn right at the four-way stop). That will take you to Westfield, IN where you can rejoin US31 North.

JoeHall
04-29-2014, 11:27 PM
No matter the route taken, looks like we will need our long-johns once we arrive. The forecast highs are 53 degrees Friday and 58. Saturday.

unclemiltie
04-30-2014, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the alternate routes.

52 Ragtop
04-30-2014, 11:35 PM
Another alternate route form the west is: 465 exit Michigan road north, (IN 412) follow TO st rd 32, there's a flashing light at 32, turn right and follow to US 31. There IS construction all the way north until ST RD 38, about 4-5 miles from 31/32.
Which ever way you come, the SPEED LIMIT IS 40MPH in the construction zone, Westfield PD patrols it like flies on poop! They WILL write you up for doing 45 in the CZ.

They are big on the tailgating too!!

US 31 is down to one lane between 32 and 38, I haven't done the bypass all the way around Kokomo, but I know it will take off at least 20-30 minutes of the trip!

Everybody drive safely, especially in the construction zones!

Jim

JoeHall
05-01-2014, 09:27 AM
Thanks for all the tips. Looks like the Keystone exit is best for me. Hope to leave by 4 PM, so should be getting off I-465 around 7-8 PM, when traffic has died down a bit. Have a motel reserved in Kokomo tonight, and plan on an early start tomorrow morning on up to SB.

Both my 11 and 13 year old sons are coming. They have grown to enjoy SB Studebaker functions. Gonna skip school tomorrow for a "field trip" :)