Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peking to Paris Motor Challenge

Good Morning everyone.
    A good pal of mine has entered the Peking to Paris Motor Challenge 2016 and has requested suggestions for the most reliable and rugged cars PRE 1941 for his entry. What I'm asking is what are your collective thoughts as to what Studebaker or Packard do you think would be most suited to this type of rally event. (Google it -it looks real interesting). I am not as familiar with our older Studes as I'm sure some of you are. Lets see some of your suggestions.
    Thanks for your input.
    Bill

I would suggest a 1961-66 Lark (type). They were rallied in the Shell 4000 trans Canada rally back in the day and I would say that with V-8 power and ground clearance enough to clear most obstacles in many of the areas with roads that are less than modern. There is also enough interior room for spares and such that might be needed along the way. Stu Chapman is literally the expert on these rally cars as he was very much involved in the project. Maybe he can chime in.

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Believe he specifically stated pre-1941. Wonder if the 1941 is included?
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
        Believe he specifically stated pre-1941. Wonder if the 1941 is included?
        Wow! I skipped right over the pre-1941 part of this. I apologize. Let me suggest a 1936 or 1937 Dictator Coupe. Didn't George Reitenour run one of these in the Great Race at one time?
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser

Comment

You should review what the Peking to Paris rally is. Nothing like the rallys you refer to. I prepared the 1929 president victoria for the 2010 rally. http://www.pekingparis.co.za/index.p...d=49&Itemid=71 My opinion a 41 champ prepared properly would do good. I went to Paris for the finish and seen the winning cars and have a idea now of what would work.

Comment

Hi there,
            I'm Bill and it is my friend that I'm doing this research for. Finding that you have been there and have a great feel for the event is huge. Would you be agreeable to talk with my friend and give him some guidance? It would be greatly appreciated as being in Canada our resources are somewhat limited.
            Please forward any contact info you would be willing to share. He is a really good guy and I think it would be huge to have a Studebaker finishing such a grueling event.
            Thanks,
            Cheers, Bill

Comment

Picture #9 should be of interest.

Comment

Originally posted by studerex View Post
                You should review what the Peking to Paris rally is. Nothing like the rallys you refer to. I prepared the 1929 president victoria for the 2010 rally. http://www.pekingparis.co.za/index.p...d=49&Itemid=71 My opinion a 41 champ prepared properly would do good. I went to Paris for the finish and seen the winning cars and have a idea now of what would work.
                I am familiar with what the Peking to Paris is. I suggested the '36-'37 as its size would lend itself to the demands of such an event. The '41 Champion is also a great suggestion.
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                  Hi there,
                  I'm Bill and it is my friend that I'm doing this research for. Finding that you have been there and have a great feel for the event is huge. Would you be agreeable to talk with my friend and give him some guidance? It would be greatly appreciated as being in Canada our resources are somewhat limited.
                  Please forward any contact info you would be willing to share. He is a really good guy and I think it would be huge to have a Studebaker finishing such a grueling event.
                  Thanks,
                  Cheers, Bill
                  I would be glad to share my experience with someone running a Stude. We went in the rally with a big powerful president prepared to the rule guidelines. There is a rally car for sale in the UK that has run the peking paris . Do a search on Chevrolet Fangio Coupe. There were many entered and one won in 2013. Your friend should view one to get ideas. I can be contacted at studebakerclassics.com

Comment

That would be a really cool event to participate in.

I'm guessing it's not an everyman thing, though. It would probably cost $10K just in vehicle shipping costs alone, not to mention all the rest of it. I'd guess you'd need a budget of at least $25K for whatever you're hot seating.
                    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                    Kenmore, Washington
                    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                    '69 Pontiac Firebird
                    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

The following link includes a video from the 2013 rally that was added to the site in July 6 2014, which includes at about 10:23 a black Studebaker. Click image for larger version

Name:	20140709_205423.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	1691272
                      The video is good fun if you have the time to watch.

Comment

Working...
                      X