PDA

View Full Version : Any one live near Selma Indiana?

jd-stude
04-27-2014, 05:06 PM
I bought a Studebaker from an E-Bay auction. The seller gave me his address and phone number and requested that I contact him before picking up the car. I haven't been able to contact him to arrange pickup of the car. The cell phone number goes to voice mail and is full. E-mail through E-bay goes unanswered and I searched out a land line for the address that was given me and I leave unanswered messages there. I contacted E-bay and they don't think that there is a problem as it is a local pickup item. I should just go and pick it up. I'm an 8 hour drive away and don't want to travel that far without being able to get the car. If anyone has suggestions on how to work this out or can go by and see if there is anyone living there would be helpful. The sellers name is Jack W Beeson and the address is 714 S Winmere Ave, Selma Ind. 47383. No hurry as it has been a over a month since I made the purchase.

Ken Robinson

rknight89
04-27-2014, 05:34 PM
I looked on Google Maps at the address you listed above. Google kept taking me to an address of 714 County Rd. 567E. Perhaps Winmere Ave. turns into CR567E as it becomes more rural. If you look at the satellite view of that address, there are several cars out behind the garage but it's hard to determine what they are.

BobPalma
04-27-2014, 05:51 PM
KEN: PM sent. :cool: BP

mike cenit
04-27-2014, 07:34 PM
Ken, My company is finishing up a demolition job at the Dana Plant in Marion, IN, which is not to far, I'll be there this week and I can swing by there for you, what year and model is it?, I'll PM you when I go there, maybe Tuesday or Wednesday.

jd-stude
04-27-2014, 07:59 PM
Mike,

The car is a 1927 Dictator. The ad has it pictured under a roof but the sides are open. The seller never was a big communicator but now I get nothing. He could be away on a job, fallen ill or ?? I have a quote from PEG trucking to get the car but I don't want to send a trucker on a wild goose chase. They need someone to be there and have it out of the building to pick it up. Any thing you could do will be appreciated, but don't get into any trouble.

Thanks
Ken

mike cenit
04-27-2014, 08:05 PM
I'll swing by there and see if I can see it, and take some pictures of it, and let you know. From Google Earth it looks like there's a bunch of stuff around there.

studefan
04-27-2014, 08:33 PM
Is this the car? Looks solid.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1927-STUDEBAKER-4DOOR-/291083476423?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43c5ed5dc7&vxp=mtr&nma=true&si=1KvuB0KVV9n3QUqwXGZpLzfStNg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

StudeRich
04-27-2014, 08:46 PM
I notice he did list it in Gaston, IN?? Maybe nearby with a different numbering system?

You know eBay could help if they pursued the problem as non Communication of a seller to a Buyer on a sold Car.

mike cenit
04-27-2014, 09:05 PM
Selma and Gaston are both in Delaware County, most likely next to each other

jd-stude
04-27-2014, 09:10 PM
Yes that's the car. I have Studebakers from the 60's and thought that it would be nice to save some vintage stuff. I'm a sucker for a car that needs me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1927-STUDEBA...p2047675.l2557

Ken

Scubedu
04-27-2014, 09:17 PM
Gaston is the same County but a ways NE of Selma. Good Luck, no issues when I got mine thru ebay.

jimmijim8
04-28-2014, 12:57 AM
For 2700.00 looks too good to be true. Hope you can get to it. It's worth more than that. cheers jimmijim

mike cenit
04-28-2014, 09:36 AM
Ken: I went by there this morning, it's a home, and storage type building, with cars parked on the side (right facing side of the building), a lot of land in the back. The back has a bunch of old

trucks and cars, a good bit of property, I did not see your 27, so it's most likely in the storage building, the home looks like it's live in.

I didn't want to bang on the door, my guess is getting you your 27 might not be a top priority, sorry I could be more help.

M

JoeHall
04-28-2014, 09:36 AM
Seller's ebay history: member since 01/01/2003; 100% positive feedback rating; 169 transactions; 166 as a buyer; only 3 as a seller, all sales were October thru December 2013.

jd-stude
04-28-2014, 03:53 PM
Thank you Mike for taking a look and everyone else that offered help/advise. Doesn't look like getting the car or any money back is going to happen. E-bay admits that I can't contact the seller but claim that there is no buyer protection for local pick-up items. Without contacting the seller I can't pick it up or get the title. I have one more chance and if I don't get some information soon I'll make it a free gift to anyone who can get it. When I decide I'll post my contact information so that anyone can verify the gift offer is legit.

Ken

mike cenit
04-28-2014, 07:57 PM
Ken; It may not be that grim, I'd drive over there one Saturday, knock on the door and tell him your here for car, if you get it you can store it at the old Dana Axle site at Marion until you can arrange to take it home, just let me know your schedule, OR IF YOU WANT I CAN SEND OVER A CAT 345B AND KNOCK THE BUILDING DOWN AND TAKE YOUR CAR OUT....EITHER WAY.

BobPalma
04-28-2014, 08:57 PM
Geeze, Ken; if the situation is as grim as you describe in Post #11, I would think the next step would be to contact the Delaware County IN Prosecuting Attorney's Office. :mad: Seriously. BP

unclemiltie
04-28-2014, 11:06 PM
If you paid with Paypal or a credit card, I would talk to them

wolfie
04-29-2014, 02:29 PM
Thank you Mike for taking a look and everyone else that offered help/advise. Doesn't look like getting the car or any money back is going to happen. E-bay admits that I can't contact the seller but claim that there is no buyer protection for local pick-up items. Without contacting the seller I can't pick it up or get the title. I have one more chance and if I don't get some information soon I'll make it a free gift to anyone who can get it. When I decide I'll post my contact information so that anyone can verify the gift offer is legit.

Ken
If that car is there and this is a legit sale I can recover that car. I prefer and try first to do things peacefully but if necessary I do keep lawyers and thugs on the payroll for such occasions. 97+ percent recovery rate when I did repos professionally. Steve

jd-stude
04-29-2014, 08:56 PM
I consider it a legit sale but if the owner has had second thoughts I'd take my money and be happy to get on with my life. I've made over 25 phone calls and never had one answered but left messages and they were never returned. I've not had any replies to E-mail through in the last month. I've had some nice Studebaker people in the area visit the location and the car is there but in a open sided building. I don't know what legal work I'd need to just have a tow truck go and get it but that is a possibility. I'm still fighting with E-bay/Paypal over their Buyer protection plan. They say that Local pickup listings are not covered but the listing states that its covered by the plan and I can't find anything in the fine print that excludes local pick ups from coverage. The low value of the car limits the amount of time and money that I can spend to get. The owner has a title and if that isn't included with the car I would still have nothing even if it were sitting in my back yard. The bulldozer, thugs and lawyer ideas are starting to appeal to me though.

Ken

mike cenit
04-29-2014, 09:08 PM
Ken, the cat's not a bulldozer but a shear, with that said, the one side is not open but has a opening, there is a lot of stuff around the place, trucks, farm stuff, the 27 isn't a easy out, the stuff in the area will have to be moved and cleared to get it out, for wolfie it's not just a snach and grab, the homeowner would know whats happening, in fact there a pretty big deck next to the building leading from the house. Again i think it's best to show up, knock on the door and say i'm here for my car and if you'd have answered your phome you'd know i was coming, what's he going to say when you show up, no you can't have it.

wolfie
04-30-2014, 12:29 PM
Ken, the cat's not a bulldozer but a shear, with that said, the one side is not open but has a opening, there is a lot of stuff around the place, trucks, farm stuff, the 27 isn't a easy out, the stuff in the area will have to be moved and cleared to get it out, for wolfie it's not just a snach and grab, the homeowner would know whats happening, in fact there a pretty big deck next to the building leading from the house. Again i think it's best to show up, knock on the door and say i'm here for my car and if you'd have answered your phome you'd know i was coming, what's he going to say when you show up, no you can't have it.

I would have to research the local and state ordinances to see if a snatch and grab could even be done legally without a title. I more expected a civil process to be involved in this case. I havent had to go through the whole process in In but have been through it in enough states to be confident. It may be in your interest to file a civil action. The appearance of a law enforcement officer at the door can often settle these matters in itself. Has anyone knocked on the door and spoken to this gentleman? Steve

mike cenit
04-30-2014, 01:29 PM
Wolfie, I don't think Ken has been to Selma, I agree, as I said, Ken should go there, knock on the door, and talk to the man, if he has all his paperwork he most likely, if the man won't release the car go to the local police or Sheriff and ask them to come to the house and help him get the car, I find Indiana County Sheriffs to be pretty fair people., The only thing the seller can say is he didn't sell it or get paid, which is simple to prove, or he changed his mind, in that case he'd have to refund Ken, in the real world I'd rather be Ken than the seller.

wolfie
04-30-2014, 02:07 PM
Wolfie, I don't think Ken has been to Selma, I agree, as I said, Ken should go there, knock on the door, and talk to the man, if he has all his paperwork he most likely, if the man won't release the car go to the local police or Sheriff and ask them to come to the house and help him get the car, I find Indiana County Sheriffs to be pretty fair people., The only thing the seller can say is he didn't sell it or get paid, which is simple to prove, or he changed his mind, in that case he'd have to refund Ken, in the real world I'd rather be Ken than the seller.

Agreed, I think the next step at the least is for Ken or someone on his behalf to knock on that door and try to settle one on one with the seller. The process and regs seemed to be different even community to community to recover cars that were straight up non pay repos. Here locally, before a law enforcement officer could even enter the property to prevent another altercation as I recovered MY truck from a civilian a year or so back I had to file a civil claim, have a hearing and get a judges order. This situation is a civil matter, just have to follow whatever process the local government wants. Failing that break out the CAT and ring up the thugs. They're done and you control the car before you need the lawyers. And certainly better to be Ken than the seller. Steve

mike cenit
04-30-2014, 03:29 PM
I hope it's just a case of the seller being lazy or just not getting it done, to me it looks like the biggest job is to clear the junk to make a path to get it out

wolfie
04-30-2014, 05:35 PM
I hope it's just a case of the seller being lazy or just not getting it done, to me it looks like the biggest job is to clear the junk to make a path to get it out

I am kinda thinking the same thing. It may be as simple as the seller is unable to get the car out by himself. Steve

mike cenit
04-30-2014, 06:32 PM
I can tell you he's probably not a "city slicker" in Selma, Indiana

jd-stude
05-02-2014, 04:25 PM
Better news. No the seller hasn't contacted me but I finally talked to a real person with a sense of fairness at E-bay. This is the reply I received:

I also was able to find further information after I disconnected the call with you. I called you back at the number on file and left a message as I wanted to let you know that we have another resolution. I am working to get a hold of you seller by phone and email. If they do not respond by Monday 5/5/14 then I will be getting you taken care of and processing a refund. I want to apologize that I was not able to give you this message by phone earlier but do appreciate your time. I will be following up with you Monday 5/5/14 by phone or email regarding if the seller has responded and if they haven't then we will process you a refund. If you have further questions you can respond directly to this email. I will be out of the office over the weekend but will respond on Monday. Thank you

Should know soon what I have to do. If the seller replies I'll need a local connection to help me. I'll want to away from the seller ASAP and stored in another area until the trucking co can pick it up. I'll need a local tilt bed owner contact and a corner to put it for a few days until PEG trucking can get it.

Ken

jclary
05-02-2014, 05:32 PM
Great news Ken. Keep us informed as to how it gets resolved. If you happen to get the car, make it into a functioning ride...this will only add to its storied legacy.

jd-stude
05-05-2014, 06:29 PM
It's all over, or at least I think it is. Ebay has agreed to refund my money as the seller did not contact them over the weekend as they requested. I' not sure how they are going to pay me. I don't know if they send a check or credit my Paypal account but I should get it one way or another. I would like to thank everyone who helped and offered advise as it strengthen my case. If anyone is interested I can give them the address and phone number of a guy that might have a 1927 Studebaker for sale:-)

Ken