Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Brakes

Hello,
    i have an uncle in florida witha 63 Avanti he called me with a brake question. He said he has no adjusters on the rear brakes of his Avanti. Not even a manual adjuster. Can someone shed some light did some come with no adjusters?
    I have been into the brakes on 8 different studebakers all close to the same year and all had adjusters.But non where Avantis
    thanks

Erin Hays
    "From Stuck and Rusty to Slick steel and sex appeal"
    RZRECTD
    1961 Hawk
    1962 Lark
    1963 Wagonaire

There are two adjusters, one for each shoe. Look for a stud you turn with a 5/16 wrench once you loosen the 9/16 lock nut.They are on the center line of the backing plate about 2/3rds of the way out.

JDP/Maryland
    64 R2 GT cost to date $55046.57
    64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
    63 Lark 2 door
    58 Packard HT
    56 Golden Hawk
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

What JDP said.

They are adjusting bolts, that have an elliptical flat surface area on the inside of the backing plate that turns against the shoe casting. It's a little like adjusting the valves, in that once you get the smaller one turned to the correct tension, you have to hold it there while tigghtening the other one to lock it in place.

========================
      63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
      Martinez, CA

Comment

thank you guys. i thought it would be odd for it not to have any type of adjuster. it sounds similar to some forklifts i work on.
        i will pass it on. he is hoping to have it ready for the Daytona car show Turkey Run.

Erin Hays
        "From Stuck and Rusty to Slick steel and sex appeal"
        RZRECTD
        1961 Hawk
        1962 Lark
        1963 Wagonaire

Comment

quote:i will pass it on. he is hoping to have it ready for the Daytona car show Turkey Run.
          Maybe I'll see it there then! There's a possibility of me making that one...

Matthew Burnette
          '59 Scotsman
          '63 Daytona
          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 1961HAWK

thank you guys. i thought it would be odd for it not to have any type of adjuster. it sounds similar to some forklifts i work on.
            i will pass it on. he is hoping to have it ready for the Daytona car show Turkey Run.
            It's probably just me, but it seems like everytime I adjust those kind I end up getting them too tight and end up having to back them off a little after I try to drive. A little bit of a turn on the eccentric makes quite a bit of difference and just attempting to tighten the lock nut while holding the eccentric can change you adjustment if you're not careful.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
            '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
            '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
            Museum R-4 engine
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I am sure there was a "J" Tool for those Truck and Avanti Lockheed Type Brakes. It would be like a Auto. Trans band Adjusting tool, with two handles so it would be easy to keep the adjusting screw in place while torqueing the locknut down! []

StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

They "rent" those for free at Autozone ........ JUST JOKING!

Tom

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich
                I am sure there was a "J" Tool for those Truck and Avanti Lockheed Type Brakes.
                '63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I have a old shockabsorber tool that holds the top of shock
                  from turning.It fits my Avanti rear brake adjuster perfect.
                  Snap-on has a 3/8 drive socket that will fit.I am going
                  to order.

Lenny
                  Atlanta Ga.

Comment

Eastwood has the shock absorber tools, too. I found one of them is a perfect fit.
                    Mike

Comment

Working...
                    X