Looking for advice on a fix er upper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for advice on a fix er upper

I bought a1960 lark 8 with an automatic, shes rough, bad starter, bad gen, bad paint, bad interior, but she has most of her trim, all the seats and from what i can tell all the parts to make her go, with some spares.

I'm not looking to go show quality, more like daily driver.

so i need some help on does and don'ts from guys that love the brand. like, i was thinking oh an alternator swap instead or having one of my generators rebuilt. a guy on ebay sells one bracket and all.

Studebaker west told me i should find newer seats or have mine reinforced as i am a big dude and my year has different springs that don't hold up as well.

as i stated i'm not looking for show quality i need comfy fun to drive and the great stude look.

any tips? where to start?

this is herClick image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140425_001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	1688735

Comment

Welcome to the Forum and Studebakerdom! What are you doing tomorrow? There is a gathering of many Studebaker folks from 4 different Northern California clubs in Stockton at Grupe Park. http://tinyurl.com/Grupe-Park The meeting is in the parking lot at the end of Sea Gull Lane. Festivities start about 1 pm.

You will have a chance to chat with lots of folks about your project, plus have a fun picnic. There will be grills there to cook something for yourself and everyone is asked to bring something to share. Bring a friend, significant other or kids along too if you like.
      Pat Dilling
      Olivehurst, CA
      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

i am hoping to make it out there. trying to get a friend to drive, as my soon to be daily driver is sitting on jack stands
        i think it'll push him over the edge, almost have him wanting to buy a project car

Comment

I have a 61 lark 4 door in my lot right now and the lot is in Hayward...Bob 510-266-2522
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

i wish i had the budget to buy one in decent shape, but for now in put the little money i have into making her drivable.

Comment

Congrats!
              I'm a softy for 59-60 Lark's especially 4-doors & in my opinion you're on the RIGHT track!!!
              GOOD LUCK from Europe!

Comment

Even if they were serviceable when you got the car, don't try to save money by not going through the brakes. Not that the original system if it still has the single master cylinder under the floor is unsafe, it just means maintenance is more important. Check all the hard lines and it's not a bad idea to replace the hoses, especially if you have no idea of their age. They can look good but be hard as a rock on these 50 year old cars. If the fluid looks rusty or there is any sign of a leak at the wheel cylinders, or you have to keep topping off the fluid, it's just best to go through the whole system.

Good luck and have fun with your Lark.

Comment

Originally posted by ClownCar View Post
                  i wish i had the budget to buy one in decent shape, but for now in put the little money i have into making her drivable.
                  Your Lark doesn't look that bad. And it appears to have tinted glass all round which is a nice factory option. The parts that are missing or needing to be replaced are not that expensive.

Chris.

Comment

First,Make it run,Then make it stop! everything else is just details.
                    Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
                      First,Make it run,Then make it stop! everything else is just details.
                      also make it steer when you want it too and in the right direction

Comment

I've never seen a floor jack serve as a parking brake until now....looks to be quite effective and may also serve as an anti-theft device.
                        So....how many clowns can fit into a Lark?

Pay Bob Peterson a visit (C and B Studebaker), he may have used parts available for you car. Good luck!
                        sigpic
                        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

the jack was not holding it up i do have jack stands under her, and yes i was under my car outside, in the rain

thank for the advice on the brakes, that is on the list for sure.

and.... today i learned the ring gear was not put on in the proper place, the starter throws out to far by 1/4 inch. i haven't the cash or shop space/tools to fix that at the moment so i think i'll cut some 1/4 inch plate with starter nose and bolt holes. kind of a mega shim. maybe a plate just like the dust cover/starter mount plate, what do you think?

Comment

When I did the whole line in Josephine (engine, gearbox & rear axel) I first replaced all 5 brake-cylinders + the lines as it's automatic & knowing myself if the thing would be able to drive I would try it out first a bit... could've been "exiting"...

Comment

On an auto, isn't the starter ring gear part of the flex plate?
                              78 Avanti RQB 2792
                              64 Avanti R1 R5408
                              63 Avanti R1 R4551
                              63 Avanti R1 R2281
                              62 GT Hawk V15949
                              56 GH 6032504
                              56 GH 6032588
                              55 Speedster 7160047
                              55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Working...
                              X