Water in Fuel??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Water in Fuel??

I was returning from a show with my 61 Lark. I put some gas in it. 50 miles later it spit, sputtered. and stalled.. This car has been running like a watch before that. I guessed the gas I bought had water in it. Anyway I had the car put on a trailer to get it home.
    I added water remover (heet), changed the plugs, fuel filter, took the carb apart and cleaned it, and checked any ignition stuff.
    Now the Lark will reluctantly start with starter fluid, and run awhile, then quits. It will run smooth than rough, maybe smooth again and quit. I slightly changed the point gap. (I hope I did not messes up the timing).
    Anyway I would appreciate any suggestions you all can give me. Thanks.

PS What do you suggest for spark plugs? (ie my Lark is a 6 six cylinder). I have used Champion 857 (rh16y) and Autolite 226 (If memory serves me) The Champion works ok, but is getting hard to find, and Autolite does not last).
    Last edited by drnittler; 04-23-2014, 02:33 AM.
    David G. Nittler

Sounds like you may still have water in some of the tiny passages in the carburetor. One old trick to suck water out of the passages is to use engine vacuum. Here's how to do it: Start the engine and bring it up to about 2500-3000RPM and with the throttle still open, clamp you hand over the airhorn of the carburetor. Try not to let the engine stall, but that's not a deal killer. The high vacuum should suck anything out of the passages in the carburetor. Let the car return to idle and see if it is any better. If not, try it once more. If it doesn't work on the second try, it probably isn't going to work. Good luck.

Comment

OBTW, nearly all gasoline sold now will have water in it eventually. The ethanol in gasoline is hygroscopic so it draws water vapor out of the air, even from the air above the fuel in the gas tank.

Comment

Water MAY not be your problem.
        You may have some bad gasoline. I suggest removing it all and starting with fresh gasoline.
        This reminds me of one South Bend SDC International (about 2000-2002) where a bunch of us purchased gasoline at the same station and we all had problems. For me, the car would barely run and the fuel gauge tank unit was destroyed.
        The station/company did say that they had a known fuel problem, but I never heard exactly what it was. I believe that station was a Marathon station (if my memory serves me).
        My car did not run correctly until after a couple of tankfulls of fresh gasoline after that bad fuel.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I had issues with fuel in the early '90s so I put a water separator in the fuel system. You can find them at boat shops and marine supply. If I recall, I think I bought it from JC Whitney. Neal

Comment

I like to disconnect the fuel line at the carb and position it securely pointing into a clean pyrex cup. Then crank the engine to judge if fuel delivery volume is good. After capturing several ounces I let the cup sit a bit and have a look. It should be crystal clear (but sometimes tinted yellow) top to bottom with no particles. I like to pour in a splash of isopropyl dry gas. It will swirl for several seconds. If the gas gets clearer, or a liquid separates out and settles to the bottom , I have a water problem. Sometimes mega doses of dry gas fixes it so the gas can be used right now, although sometimes best used in lawnmowers or added 10% or so to daily drivers. Prolonged sitting with doctored gas is looking for more serious trouble. Systems with Vented gas caps seem way more vulnerable to absorbing moisture.

Comment

Thanks one and all. I'll keep you all posted.
              David G. Nittler

Comment

Update: I think I got it, I removed a lot of fuel and added lots of heet to what was left. The running is smoothing out. Updates to follow. Thanks for the help.
                David G. Nittler

Comment

Do you use the Lucas Oil Safeguard product? Designed to treat ethanol based fuels.

Comment

and don't forget....... we're not driving our cars enough !

Comment

I had to put 3 cans of heat in mine after a long winter, now keep truck in basement where the temp doesn't change and it is a lot better .
                      Randy Wilkin
                      1946 M5 Streetrod
                      Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

BUY only Non-Ethanol fuels for Studebakers or anything that sits for more than a month before running it.......
                        I only use Non-Ethanol for Weed whackers, Studebakers, and Aircraft....

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
                          BUY only Non-Ethanol fuels for Studebakers or anything that sits for more than a month before running it.......
                          I only use Non-Ethanol for Weed whackers, Studebakers, and Aircraft....
                          That sounds good, BUT there is NO way to get automotive fuel without ethanol anywhere around here (it's the law) or in many other areas of the country.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Farmer's Co-op sells it here..... Check with your Farmer's Co-op, and I think there's some websites that list ethanol free stations.....

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
                              Farmer's Co-op sells it here..... Check with your Farmer's Co-op, and I think there's some websites that list ethanol free stations.....
                              1) I never heard of Farmer's Co-op.
                              2 I am familiar with websites listing ethanol free stations. You will not find any listed for this area and many other areas.
                              3) As I stated, it is illegal to sell ethanol free gasoline in this area and many other areas. A minimum of 10% ethanol is required.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X