Nancy Curtis accident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nancy Curtis accident

We have just learned that Nancy Curtis, wife of SDC Past President Tom Curtis, suffered a near fatal head injury in a fall last Thursday. It is a miracle she is still with us and making progress. Your prayers and thoughts are greatly appreciated by the Curtis family. Nancy has a long recovery battle ahead of her. Tom's contact information can be found on the last page of Turning Wheels.

Stu Chapman

Our prayers go out to the Curtis family.

studedick from the lowerOzarks

Comment

Very sorry to hear of Nancy's mishap. Wishing her the best for a good recovery.
      Pat Dilling
      Olivehurst, CA
      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Amen, sending prayers her way.
        sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
        Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
        "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

All the best from us here in Australia and New Zealand as well as the moderation crew.
          John Clements
          Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Yes - holding the Curtis family up in prayer.
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Wow sorry to hear this thinking of you.
              Mabel 1949 Champion
              Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
              Gus 1958 Transtar
              The Prez 1955 President State
              Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
              Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
              Fresno,Ca

Comment

Wow, hope she gets well soon.
                Chris Dresbach

Comment

Best wishes on behalf of the Nutmeg Chapter.
                  Chip
                  '63 Cruiser
                  '57 Packard wagon
                  '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                  '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Very sorry to hear that one of our most dedicated SDC Families is having to go through all that pain and stress, our Prayers go out to them from Washington.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Nancy Curtis Update....An Unexplained Miracle

Since my original post on this thread, I have learned that Nancy Curtis' son had kept a detailed diary accounting of his mother's accident, recording what has turned out to be an unexplained miracle. The following paragraphs summarize Nancy's progress since last Thursday's accident as recorded by her son.

Last Thursday evening, Nancy fell down a long flight of stairs at her home, suffering a very severe head injury. Tom was not home at the time and when he returned he found Nancy unconscious where she had been for an undetermined length of time. Tom called 911 and Nancy was rushed to hospital. On the way, she lost all vital signs and was put on breathing support. After arriving at Elkhart General she was put on a ventilator and a scan performed to assess the head injury. After several doctors, including a well-seasoned neurologist, read the scan they determined the injury would be fatal. The very best they could hope for if she did survive would be a vegetative existence.

The family was faced with the decision to pull the ventilator, knowing Nancy would not want to live such a life. Close family was called to the hospital last Friday morning to say their goodbyes before the ventilator was pulled. The preceding hours were truly surreal with moments in time you only see in the movies. There seemed to be a calm about that morning that felt like the Lord was moving them through the paces to keep them from pain. As they were preparing for the inevitable, they noticed small movements in Nancy's face and body. But they were told this was caused by involuntary muscle movement and not brain-related. But then Nancy's 11 year old granddaughter Julie, who is very close to Nancy, went to kiss her and Nancy came up off the bed about four inches. The little girl ran out of the room saying Nana is getting better. The nurse explained this movement was normal. Five minutes later another kiss was given and her movement increased. The nurse then did a re-evaluation by tickling Nancy's historically ticklish feet. To everyone's amazement Nancy responded. Now the doctors became involved and said that this changes everything. A new scan was performed with better results but still not positive.

Medically, there was no explanation for her ability to process her motor responses so the doctors decided they would treat her based on her motor responses and not what they observed on the scans. The ventilator was pulled and she began breathing on her own instantaneously. Within an hour she could respond to "can you hear us" and "can you see us". She was able to nod her head and open an eye. That was last Friday afternoon.

Last Saturday she could say a few words and her responses were correct. She was able to recall things and knew her birthdate. Suddenly they realized they were experiencing a true miracle, unexplainable to the doctors. Sunday was a big day with longer conversations and more awake time. Her stats was changed from critical to rehabilitative. There are many hurdles ahead but everything is positive and progressive. The next couple of weeks will be difficult as she is able to recall more and generally think. But right now all indications are she is the same person she was and all questions asked to this point are on the money. Everyone prays this continues.

Everyone's outpouring of prayer and Nancy's devotion to God and Prayer is what has got the family through this ordeal. To observe truly spontaneous healing like this has been just like a Bible story playing out in front of the family. Nancy has a long road ahead of her in the healing process and needs all the support possible, Science and medicine have played a small role in why she is still here and there is no question in the family's mind this was divine intervention giving Nancy a second chance on life.

Late today I learned that Nancy was awake this morning, complaining about a headache. Apparently she was able to take a few steps. As was said earlier in this post....THIS IS TRULY AN UNEXPLAINED MIRACLE! God has obviously blessed you Nancy. Get well. For all you SDC members out there, do pray for her. I'm sure Tom would be pleased to know that.

Stu Chapman

Comment

A truly great inspirational report Stu. Prayers continue from here.
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

My wife and I prayed for Nancy, we don't personally know her.
                          But, as a member of our Studebaker family, we connect with her.
                          We believe in the miracle of prayer as in the fact I'm here and able to
                          write this and work on my Packard.
                          Last fall I was in hospital on support and coded three times. Thanks to the prayers of
                          family and friends and great hospital staff, I am here.
                          We will continue to pray for Nancy and wish her a full and
                          speedy recovery.
                          Last edited by 57pack; 04-26-2014, 04:19 PM.
                          sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                          Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                          "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

This is such great news. I believe I met Nancy last SB swap. I am happy for her and everyone close to her. cheers jimmijim
                            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Prayers going up from Oklahoma!
                              sigpic
                              Dave Lester

Comment

Working...
                              X