Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dog Dish Hubcaps on the Gran Turismo Series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Dog Dish Hubcaps on the Gran Turismo Series?

I was just wondering if the 1962-1964 Gran Turismo Hawk's ever came from the factory with Dog Dish/Poverty Hubcaps? I recently had a chance to see a pretty nice collection of Studebaker Hawks, and One rare 1962 Gran Turismo that the owner say's His father got from South Bend, That came factory Stock with the smaller dog dish type caps. Any comments are appreciated.

~effiedude.
    Patrick Sammon

I've never personally seen a GT Hawk with caps, but I don't doubt that if a person wanted to order one they could get them. Most GTs at shows in the past have been decked out with the fancier options regardless of how they were delivered.
    My parts book only shows the 62 GT, but at that time only the Canada cars show a small cap. The parts book excludes it for US cars.
    Last edited by 52-fan; 04-20-2014, 10:10 AM. Reason: Added info.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

1963 Hawks had "Wheel Discs" as "standard equipment" according to PD 63-14. I do not have documentation for 1962 and 1964 in front of me, but I believe that they were the same.
      This does not say that they could not be deleted when the car was ordered (I would want to see the build sheet) or, more likely, they were exchanged by the dealer before original sale.
      Last edited by studegary; 04-20-2014, 05:43 PM. Reason: spelling
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I had bought a 1967 Chevelle with the spoked spinner wheel covers.
        They made so much noise going down the road, I removed them.
        Had a set of dog dish 1956 Chevy 210 caps laying around so I put them on.
        They were still on when I traded it in on my 1971 Buick Gran Sport.
        sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
        Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
        "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

I have a one owner 1962 GT Hawk and I think I have the hub caps you refer to. Really a dog dish / poverty hub cap?

You now must relate the story as to your description.

The outer small cap snaps into the inner spoke hub cap. It has a recess and a stamped raised circle with 3 stamped spokes.

I am going toward A/R 5 spoke torque thrust II rims. The current rims (damaged lug tapper on 1 of 5 rims), inner and outer hub caps will soon be available. Inner hub caps have spot welds failing in some locations.

I guess I could feed my 9 pound Maltese and use a second hub cap for water. Maybe I will keep the best looking pair.

Jim
          Studebaker1962

Comment

Studebaker's 1962 Publication 62-22 indicates full wheel covers were standard equipment on the 1962 Hawk.

1964 Sales Letter #178, dated September 21, 1963 and delineating the 1964 models and option prices, indicates full wheel covers were standard on the 1964 Hawk. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker1962 View Post
              I have a one owner 1962 GT Hawk and I think I have the hub caps you refer to. Really a dog dish / poverty hub cap?

You now must relate the story as to your description.

The outer small cap snaps into the inner spoke hub cap. It has a recess and a stamped raised circle with 3 stamped spokes.

I am going toward A/R 5 spoke torque thrust II rims. The current rims (damaged lug tapper on 1 of 5 rims), inner and outer hub caps will soon be available. Inner hub caps have spot welds failing in some locations.

I guess I could feed my 9 pound Maltese and use a second hub cap for water. Maybe I will keep the best looking pair.

Jim
              From your description Jim, I think you may have the '53 to about 1960 WIRE Wheel Covers with the bolted on outers and snap-on Hub Cap Centers. Quite Pricey Today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Grey _ White Speedster2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	1688688
              Last edited by StudeRich; 04-21-2014, 04:56 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                From your description Jim, I think you may have the '53 to about 1960 WIRE Wheel Covers with the bolted on outers and snap-on Hub Cap Centers. Quite Pricey Today.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34211[/ATTACH]
                1953 model year to mid-model year 1956 (when they were replaced by the imitation spoke stainless wheelcovers)
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I was the 3rd owner of a 63 Hawk (Hamilton production). I have some pictures of the car when new...

No wheel covers on the PO (I'm not sure if they would be, however)

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

The clue on Dick's former Car is that the Dealer would have to have installed these a LOT later than Feb. 13, '63 when the Car was built, since those '64 Hub Caps would not be available until about Sept. '63 when the '64's were released.

OR, if someone has evidence that Canada had that style Hub Cap in '63, that closely resembles a South Bend '64, maybe that is the answer.
                    Last edited by StudeRich; 04-22-2014, 12:08 PM.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      The clue on Dick's former Car is that the Dealer would have to have installed these a LOT later than Feb. 13, '63 when the Car was built, since those '64 Hub Caps would not be available until about Sept. '63 when the '64's were released.

I agree.
                      Since wheelcovers were standard equipment on 1963 Hawks, they would not be listed on the build sheet.
                      If hub caps were ordered, they would be on the build sheet as a deviation from standard equipment.
                      I have had the wheelcovers on a new car that I ordered changed by the dealer prior to my taking delivery (about that time frame - 1966 model).
                      Also, the pictures show a strange antenna in a strange location.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                      X