Under Floor Master Cylinder Replacement Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under Floor Master Cylinder Replacement Thoughts

I have a 1961 Hawk the following is my experience. I may be wrong. Brakes are NO JOKE!

The Shop Manual instructs that the brake pedal be separated from the actuator rod at the front end of the Master Cylinder and the "lines" disconnected from the back end of the Master Cylinder. I simply loosened the mounting bolts: Disconnected the "Y" and slid the Master Cylinder off the actuator rod. Thus when reassembling there was no need to deal with free pedal play, clevis pin reassembly or anything on the front end. As far as the back end, the brake lines stayed attached to the "Y" so assembly was easy. Why did the Shop Manual say that stuff I have no idea.

Because the Shop Manual assumes, usually correctly, anytime anything in the brake system is changed, it will be necessary to readjust the pedal free travel.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

The free pedal travel IS ADJUSTED WITH THE ACTUATOR ROD ON AND THE CLEVIS IN PLACE. A direct replacement of the Master Cylinder will not effect the free pedal travel if the actuator rod was never touched!

The removal of the actuator rod is not a necessary step to remove the Master Cylinder based on my experience. I am simply trying to pass along a shop tip type of "shortcut", which based on a response I got in the Tech. Section is not something that should be done.

PERHAPS I AM UNWORTY I HAVE CONTRIDICTED THE SHOP MANUAL!

On the other hand, Jack, you often offer great insight...just this time you are wrong...because this time you disagree with me!!!
      Last edited by jg61hawk; 04-20-2014, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Jim, how did your master cylinder act when it failed? Just curious. Did you get your replacement from SI?
        sigpic
        1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

Working...
        X