Vacuum Readings, R2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Vacuum Readings, R2

Just curious, what readings on a vacuum gauge at idle are people seeing on a stock R2? Since I am asking questions, do you see a real advantage of keeping the vacuum throttle kicker on a R2 4-speed car? I still have it on my car, but not really sure if it is needed.
    Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
    \'60 Lark Convertible

I can see how it definitely would be needed on an A/C Car and or Automatic, but a 4 Speed? I can't see the need, they MUST have had a reason. It would seem that the rougher idle caused by the Performance Cam can be controlled with the faster idle speed.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I've never used them on anything.
      I've never had a problem after removing them from any engine in my almost 50 years messing with cars. They just seem to be in the way.

But that's just me.

Mike

Comment

2r2
        I have kept the kickers for the simple reason of running out of road. Let me explain , I wind it up to feel the punch of the boost to kick in, hit the next gear punch it again and so on . Now I am doing 60 plus(and running out of road) let off and the throttle is closed, I have 25 inches of vacuum under the carb.( sucking engine oil into the compression chamber, not a bad thing) and 6lbs. of boost above the throttle plates ( putting the sealed carb gaskets to the test (also not a bad thing ) but the flapper valve seems to take the brunt of this .they don't last that long . I think the kicker is to soften the and ease the harsh effect of de-acceleration
        until the boost drops . This is what I think
        1959 HARDTOP R2 4speed
        1960 conv R2 auto
        SDC member since 1972
        http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff21/59r2/DSC01514-3.jpg

Comment

Working...
        X