Wispy ticking out of 52 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Wispy ticking out of 52 Champion

My Champion has developed a wispy ticking noise when under a load. At the higher end of each gear shift point and on hills it goes to ticking.Just got back from the muffler shop thinking this was an exhaust leak but can't find one. They used a hose listening around the manifold, checked pipes and muffler and all is good. I can not duplicate it by revving the motor while it sits stationary in the garage. It does it out on the road and is getting more noticeable. It doesn't sound like a valve tick that my tired V-8s in the past I've owned. The Champion runs at 40lbs of oil pressure. Starts easy, idles quiet. One of my mechanics said timing gear maybe. I'm all EARS. thanks
    1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Sure each spark plug is snug?
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

only under load, i'd check the timing could be too much advance

Comment

Could it be pinging, AKA pre-ignition? That happens at speed, with wide open throttle, in high gear or in overdrive. Sounds a bit like marbles rattling around in a coffee can.

You can check the timing and you can also put in a tank of premium gas to see if that affects it. If premium fuel affects it or lessens it, or eliminates it, you may have carbon build up in the cylinders, or too much timing advance.

make sure that both the mechanical advance and the vacuum advance are working.
        Last edited by RadioRoy; 04-17-2014, 03:44 PM.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

OK plugs are tight. Recently (3 mo. ago) I had a new intake/exhaust manifold installed along with a new carb from Dave Thibeault. All bolts seem tight, BUT I just took a can of carb cleaner and started spraying around the manifold and when I hit the manifold towards the back with carb cleaner the rpm really drops on the motor. Also I think it's a heat tube that runs from the carb down into the top of the manifold and there too when I hit it with cleaner that nearly kills the motor. This is not right ? Is this also the culprit for the ticking ? The Champion sounds like the wind up metal toy cars I had in the 50s.
          1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Comment

Another question, this is superficial. What color is the motor on a 52 169? I painted mine up in a dark army green I got from SI. The mechanic that installed the manifold said I did it in the wrong color and that it was called Alpine Green that looks more blue green on his 53. I just want to have it correct. TY

Comment

Originally posted by poweroptions View Post
              ... took a can of carb cleaner and started spraying around the manifold and when I hit the manifold towards the back with carb cleaner the rpm really drops on the motor. Also I think it's a heat tube that runs from the carb down into the top of the manifold and there too when I hit it with cleaner that nearly kills the motor.
              Sounding like a vacuum leak.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                Sounding like a vacuum leak.
                That would make it ticky?

Comment

All Studebaker engines from 47-54 are painted the same color - kind of an army green.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

First of all...congratulations on having a Champion that is quiet enough, going down the road, where you can hear a "wispy ticking noise." I have one like that, but have been in many that you couldn't.

Spraying that carb cleaner around, with the results you describe, indicates a possible vacuum leak. The choke stove shouldn't be a problem. Unless I am misinformed, it is only a convection heater with no path for exhaust gases. I would look very close at the vacuum advance fitting, make sure it is threaded in snug, carburetor to manifold gasket, the main manifold gasket, and the vacuum wiper fitting/hose.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Thanks Roy, I thought so but my mechanic got argumentative about and said I was wrong.
                      Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                      All Studebaker engines from 47-54 are painted the same color - kind of an army green.

Comment

[QUOTE=jclary;837899]First of all...congratulations on having a Champion that is quiet enough, going down the road, where you can hear a "wispy ticking noise." I have one like that, but have been in many that you couldn't.

Spraying that carb cleaner around, with the results you describe, indicates a possible vacuum leak. The choke stove shouldn't be a problem. Unless I am misinformed, it is only a convection heater with no path for exhaust gases. I would look very close at the vacuum advance fitting, make sure it is threaded in snug, carburetor to manifold gasket, the main manifold gasket, and the vacuum wiper fitting/hose.[/QUOT

Every time I drive it people are overwhelmed how quiet it idles. Just today at the gas station a crowd of 8-10 men and women gathered and stood awestruck looking at the engine running when I popped the hood for them and the little Champion sat there purring. This ticking developed when I had the new manifold put on along with the carb from Cave Thibeault. My tractor mechanic thought it should have furnace sealant (never heard of it?) applied to both sides of the gasket when the manifold was installed. It's weird I can't get it to tick when I rev it up in the garage at all, but I get out on the road and it immediately starts up like a wind up tin toy car.

Comment

Is it possible that you are hearing a heater or defroster fan? There might even be a leaf or something ticking against the blower wheel. The fact that it doesn't do it in the garage is interesting because the air coming into the Climatizer as you drive might spin the fan or cause debris to buzz.
                          "In the heart of Arkansas."
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by poweroptions View Post
                            Thanks Roy, I thought so but my mechanic got argumentative about and said I was wrong.
                            Might be a sign to look for a new mechanic.

Maybe that's not fair. When I argue with my customers, I know that I am the one who is right. Hmmm....

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                              Is it possible that you are hearing a heater or defroster fan? There might even be a leaf or something ticking against the blower wheel. The fact that it doesn't do it in the garage is interesting because the air coming into the Climatizer as you drive might spin the fan or cause debris to buzz.
                              I wish it was that but it is definitely coming from the engine bay. It reacts to the load on the engine. Light foot on the accelerator not so bad. Drive it normal it's there, put a load going uphill and it's really noticeable. I rev the hell out of it in the garage while I'm standing under the hood and no ticking at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X