Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Troubles with n.o.s. Avanti door latch,"I think"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troubles with n.o.s. Avanti door latch,"I think"?

I have n.o.s. door latches,n.o.s. door strikers,and n.o.s. door handles - with original lock cylinders installed.all is working good,except on the driver side I can not LOCK the door with the key.I tried swapping handles and lock cylinders from side too side,still can not LOCK the driver side with key .I can assist the key with the inside door lock,and it will go - other wise too much resistance for the key,kinda like it hits something hard and stops the motion,I have too believe it's an issue with the latch but what . appreciate any help.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

I did all the same parts swap on one of my '63s some time ago and all works fine. I suggest you might wish to remove and inspect the left latch very closely.

Comment

The latch has to fully engage the striker as there is a tang that gets pushed in when it's fully closed. Otherwise it won't lock if it is not fully depressed. Check if it is as stiff to lock with the lock knob when closed. Also when you lock it , it has to turn the lock knob on the door panel. If it has lots of tension against it's base, it will add to the difficulties. Lastly there is an tension spring on the lock rod in the latch and it can get positioned wrong causing binding. It looks like the end of a saftey pin.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Hey Brad ... Your post above reminds me. Recently my driver's door quick locking. Key turns ok but will not lock so here's another item we can look at if we have time.
        sigpic
        John
        63R-2386
        Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Working...
        X