PDA

View Full Version : 4 door lark to 2 door

rodnutrandy
04-15-2014, 08:07 AM
Just wondering , can you change the rear quarters on a 4 door Lark to 2 door and end up with a 2 door sedan or is wheel base different ? Reason I ask , I would like a 2 door and most Larks seem to need rear fenders anyhow .

Blue 15G
04-15-2014, 08:31 AM
What year Lark? If it's not a Cruiser I believe that the wheelbases were the same between most 2 doors and 4 doors. But, the front doors are longer on the two door than the four door. So if you tried to put on the 2 door quarter panels onto a 4 door sedan, wouldn't there be a big gap between the front of the quarter panel and the rear of the door? And if you tried to put the doors on from the 2 door you'd have to relocate the door post. Not to mention the changes needed for the rear side windows, hardware, etc. I suppose a talented body man could do anything if he worked hard enough at it, but I think this would be a very complicated change to try to accomplish.

sweetolbob
04-15-2014, 09:21 AM
If Troy can do it with a Packard I don't see where it can't be done with a lark.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280940&highlight=packard

BTW, he also painted my 83 Avanti.

52-fan
04-15-2014, 10:21 AM
Wow! A lot of work in that Packard. A talented and patient bodyman can do wonders, but converting a 4 door to a 2 door is not for the faint of heart and won't be done quickly.

sweetolbob
04-15-2014, 10:28 AM
Wow! A lot of work in that Packard. A talented and patient bodyman can do wonders, but converting a 4 door to a 2 door is not for the faint of heart and won't be done quickly.

The most interesting part is Troy is a part time builder (Hobbyist) and derives his full time income in the building trades. He's done two like this and several other rods of note.

Bob

bill matwijec
04-15-2014, 10:42 AM
I have a 4 door lark what would it look like if you just shaved the back doors . I think shaved is the right term .

Warren Webb
04-15-2014, 11:09 AM
Larks shared the same wheelbase until 62 when all the 4 doors carried the longer wheelbase. The exception would be the 61 Cruiser which had the longer wheelbase compared to the regular 4 door sedan.

StudeRich
04-15-2014, 12:52 PM
You would have to do the same thing Studebaker did with the '53-'55 2 Door SEDAN.

They used a Metal "T" Strip between the 4 Door Fender and the rear door "panel" with a 2 Door window that they made new. Then they used a longer 2 Dr. Sedan Front DOOR and moved the "B" Pillar back to fit.
All using a 4 door BODY. You could make it prettier by welding the rear quarter seam.

Really though, 2 Door '59-'60 Larks show up all the time on eBay & Craigslist for only double or less money than a 4 door. A way cheaper and easier way to go.

wittsend
04-15-2014, 01:05 PM
It would probably be far easier (and maybe cheaper) to just buy a 2 door car. That said, since the 1st generation Ford Taurus, Nissan Maxima ("4 door sports car") and the BMW offerings the 4 doors have become far more acceptable with a performance image. 4 doors doesn't always translate well to 50's, 60's, 70's cars (my opinion the 4 door 57 Chevy being one of the worse) but other cars carry it better. With the cost of a 2 door, generally being more than a 4 door, and all older cars becoming less in numbers, I see the 4 door becoming more acceptable in the future.

289stude
04-15-2014, 02:30 PM
If I were gonna do all that it would be on a 63 or 64 wagonaire Daytona with R2 and 4 speed how cool would that be!!!

52-fan
04-15-2014, 07:25 PM
It would probably be far easier (and maybe cheaper) to just buy a 2 door car. That said, since the 1st generation Ford Taurus, Nissan Maxima ("4 door sports car") and the BMW offerings the 4 doors have become far more acceptable with a performance image. 4 doors doesn't always translate well to 50's, 60's, 70's cars (my opinion the 4 door 57 Chevy being one of the worse) but other cars carry it better. With the cost of a 2 door, generally being more than a 4 door, and all older cars becoming less in numbers, I see the 4 door becoming more acceptable in the future.

Just like what happened with the old Fords. At one time the hot rodders mostly used sedans for parts for their roadsters and coupes.

63t-cab
04-15-2014, 08:49 PM
VERY :!!:.

If I were gonna do all that it would be on a 63 or 64 wagonaire Daytona with R2 and 4 speed how cool would that be!!!

sals54
04-15-2014, 10:51 PM
I've always thought the 2 door "Lark" style cars were a bit too stubby. If I had my druthers, it would be to convert a 1964 4 door Daytona into a 2 door, using the longer 2 door doors. I'm sure it would be a daunting task, and would be outside my talent level. But nevertheless, I think these are great thought provoking exercises.
BTW, I love the idea of a 2 door Wagonaire as well. But again, using the longer doors.
Here's my "cut n paste" version of the Cruiser wheelbase with 2 doors… if you squint your eyes, you can't see the lines. Or for some of you, just don't put on your glasses. he he
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm197/sals54/4a654841-13a0-4a09-9a05-ffa296f7481f_zps845b5b02.jpg (http://s296.photobucket.com/user/sals54/media/4a654841-13a0-4a09-9a05-ffa296f7481f_zps845b5b02.jpg.html)

sals54
04-16-2014, 01:12 PM
What??? No takers??? Or am I alone in my principles??

StudeRich
04-16-2014, 02:30 PM
I guess it is of course a matter of OPINION. I think that you did a really Great job with the Photoshop tool, it is well done for the result you were looking for.

However some of us like myself may think that the 2 Doors look fine as is, and I don't see the improvement in stretching the back seat. Don't get me wrong, it does look "OK" just not great.
Maybe you need to be 18 again to see the benefit of that! :D

I can relate this to the Avanti Stretch Coupe, it looked much better before they messed with it. :(

studegary
04-16-2014, 03:53 PM
I can relate this to the Avanti Stretch Coupe, it looked much better before they messed with it. :(

This falls into the category of different strokes for different folks. I think that the LSC Avantis have a more balanced appearance than the originals. It adds some bulk to the rear half to help balance the large front half. I have always felt that the best shot of an Avanti is a rear three-quarters view.

jclary
04-16-2014, 04:18 PM
Well...I'm an incurable tinkerer myself, and have spent a lot of time wrenching on old iron, improvising, and altering. Everything form old mule drawn farm equipment, boats, wheel barrows, and vehicles. I have a four door Lark. It already has split reclining front seats (a great item if you wanted a two door)I would love to have a two door Lark. However, before I start cutting and welding on my four door...I believe it would be much easier, and cheaper to find a two door, fix it up, and enjoy it.

sals54
04-16-2014, 05:14 PM
Rich, I dig what you're saying about the Avanti, but the 2 door 64s were a bit on the short side when compared with the contemporary designs of the 60s. I just think it would look better in its overall sleekness and the shorter wheelbase does not allow that.
But like you said, its all a matter of opinion. Right?

1962larksedan
04-17-2014, 10:27 PM

The 1959-60 big GM cars actually look better as 4 doors, especially hardtops/flattops IMHO since their 'butts' are so big that they overshadow the visual balance of the 2 door closed models.

Jessie J.
04-17-2014, 11:05 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, .....as is homely. GM's 'flattop' barges are definitely 'an acquired taste'.

GThawkwind
04-18-2014, 01:58 AM
Here buy this one, http://desmoines.craigslist.org/ptd/4421552553.html
I'm so sick of seeing it in my local craigslist

rodnutrandy
04-18-2014, 01:06 PM
Thanks for all the comments ! I think you are correct , better start with a 2 door !