X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Studebaker R1 Super Cruiser

Pardon me If this has been posted already

Nice documented and original JT engint

Last edited by SScopelli; 04-15-2014, 10:23 AM.

That's a cool car, Seb; 'haven't seen it before.

Green cloth interior would not be difficult to source all NOS if needed, especially if (and since) the original bucket seats are included. Chances are excellent that Will and Lori Sander would have all the upholstery NOS, they have so much green of everything.

Thumbs-up on the proper battery hold-down, too. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

It strikes me as unusual/strange that it is an R1 with automatic and a 3.07:1 differential ratio. I guess that was for high speed cruising and not stop light drag races.

EDIT: In looking at the eBay listing as well as the posts here, I see the way that it was ordered being explained. It also has had a rear axle ratio change since new.
      Last edited by studegary; 04-14-2014, 10:35 AM.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
        It strikes me as unusual/strange that it is an R1 with automatic and a 3.07:1 differential ratio. I guess that was for high speed cruising and not stop light drag races.
        James & Stephanie's '63 R1 Cruiser also has a 3.07:1 ratio rear axle. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...t=rose+cruiser

Craig

Comment

Just noticed..

Another Phoenix Car! Maybe a Tanner Car..

Comment

I noted that it takes an Engineering Deviation Permit for Sales and Production Depts. to build a car different than the Standard Engineering Approved "normal orderable" Configuration. With this Car as built, someone is likely to approach the Bonneville Speeds for R2 Larks of around 130 MPH even WITH an R1.

They have to consider more than Safety, but also Company responsibility for "too wild" setups that will cause reliability issues, complaints, bad PR etc., and OH Yeah...CRASHES!

They would have had to think long and hard before approving a "58 Scotsman 2 Door with a Golden Hawk Supercharged 289 with a T-85 Overdrive and 4.09 Gears, and thought about adding a Governor or a Go pedal stop at 1/2 throttle!
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              I noted that it takes an Engineering Deviation Permit for Sales and Production Depts. to build a car different than the Standard Engineering Approved "normal orderable" Configuration. With this Car as built, someone is likely to approach the Bonneville Speeds for R2 Larks of around 130 MPH even WITH an R1.....

The following may explain the deviation:

high-speed cruiser. There are two small holes above the rear bumper where the police antenna was mounted.

Comment

I had a 63 R1 Hawk that had the Carter glass bowl fuel filter from the Factory. I believe it had a return line back to the tank. Did they discontinue their use for the 64 models? cheers jimmijim PS I would like to have that car but I've got 1 too many.
                sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

No matter the gearing, what a sleeper that car would make.
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I don't understand all the hub bub about every car that has a 3.07....they were very common in the cars I have owned. Out of 45 Studes I have owned, maybe 1/2 of them automatics.... I would say 85% were 3.07!!! But , I don't go for Champions so V8s are more likely to "pull" a highway gear.
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Have too agree,My 65 Cruiser had Auto with 3:07 and was the best geared Stude I had for a High Way cruising Car.in fact if My 63 Champ Long Bed was strictly for transportation and not too haul or pull anything " I would like it too be a 3:07 " geared truck
                      Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                      I don't understand all the hub bub about every car that has a 3.07....they were very common in the cars I have owned. Out of 45 Studes I have owned, maybe 1/2 of them automatics.... I would say 85% were 3.07!!! But , I don't go for Champions so V8s are more likely to "pull" a highway gear.
                      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

My father-in law picked up a 64 Cruiser, R1, power shift, AM-FM, bucket seats, traction and sway bars. At the same place he also got a 63 GT R2, 4 speed package Hawk. Also got the 63 Cruiser Sky Top that has been mention before in another thread. He sold the 64 and the 63 GT to some kid in Granger In. about 1980. He parted them out. Bill Mc Dowell got the complere running gear for the 64 around 1990. I drove the Sky Top to Arizona in ,78.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                          That's a cool car, Seb; 'haven't seen it before.

Green cloth interior would not be difficult to source all NOS if needed, especially if (and since) the original bucket seats are included. Chances are excellent that Will and Lori Sander would have all the upholstery NOS, they have so much green of everything.

Thumbs-up on the proper battery hold-down, too. BP
                          Bob,

Its a 64, Battery hold down, and just your Color..

Last edited by SScopelli; 04-14-2014, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
                            Bob,

Its a 64, Battery hold down, and just your Color
                            Now don't give him any ideas!!! There's that Astra white Datytona at the other end of the 'power spectrum' he is chasing: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ighlight=radar

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                              I noted that it takes an Engineering Deviation Permit for Sales and Production Depts. to build a car different than the Standard Engineering Approved "normal orderable" Configuration.

They would have had to think long and hard before approving a "58 Scotsman 2 Door with a Golden Hawk Supercharged 289 with a T-85 Overdrive and 4.09 Gears,
                              No, they SHOULD have built these by the dozen.....and if I ever get lucky....I'll build one.

Comment

Working...
                              X