Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio delete plate for Avanti?

Hello all,
    Does anyone know if there was ever a radio delete plate for an Avanti dash? If not, I would appreciate any ideas as to what to use to cover the radio hole. I was thinking of making some sort of cover using a repro. Avanti script like used on the front nose of the car, but the script is to large to fit the opening (size matters,ya know). I don't want to do something that is irreversible though. Thanks for your thoughts.

regards,
    Jay

Originally posted by IMJ View Post
    Hello all,
    Does anyone know if there was ever a radio delete plate for an Avanti dash? If not, I would appreciate any ideas as to what to use to cover the radio hole. I was thinking of making some sort of cover using a repro. Avanti script like used on the front nose of the car, but the script is to large to fit the opening (size matters,ya know). I don't want to do something that is irreversible though. Thanks for your thoughts.

regards,
    Jay
    Yes. There was such a delete plate though I can't imagine that there were many. I just happen to have a used one that I took off a '63 Avanti so I could install a radio for the man who was buying the car from me. It's not perfect, but is useable. You can have it for the postage if you are interested. Send me a PM for details.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I've never seen a delete plate but I believe they do exist. You might try Myer's Studebaker or Nostalgic for a firm answer on that.

If nothing else, take a standard plate and use it as a template to cut a blank plate of of resin or similar material for use. If you have a used plate, maybe fill the holes in with fiberglass and smooth it out.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Sounds like a good job for a 3-D printer.
        I'd imagine you could use a plastic unit.
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I've seen factory photos of a '64 Avanti instrument panel with a woodgrained blockoff plate. I'd assume the '63's would be different.
          Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          (formerly Greenville, PA)
          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
          All are in Australia now

Comment

For those of you who have never seen a '63 Avanti radio delete plate, this is the one I'm sending to Jay. It is Avanti Fawn on Aluminum. This one will need a little work, but at least he will have a pattern.
            Attached Files
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

It is no wonder that those are very few and far between, as I do believe all Avantis came standard with the AM Push Button Radio unless ordered otherwise.

So I guess this is one of the few cases (Avanti & Speedster) where it is not a Radio Hole Cover, but truly a Radio DELETE plate like on a GM Car.

I think Jay may have to settle for a small "Avanti" Decal from an AMT scale model or something similar like a Custom made Decal to "dress" it up!
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

I think Jay may have to settle for a small "Avanti" Decal from an AMT scale model or something similar like a Custom made Decal to "dress" it up!
                I would bet a decal/wrap/sign shop could make a nice decal based on the Avanti logo for just a few dollars.
                63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4463.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	1688612 The Avanti-X has no radio....in the dash....

Comment

Just Dashes did the dash for the Avanti X. I asked them to make the dash look like there never was a radio or speaker there and that is
                    just what they did. I believe that the cost was $1800 for the dash and an extra $200 for the glove box door. It took a month or so to do
                    the job but it turned out just the way I wanted. There is no sound system in the car as I prefer to listen to the rumbling ZZ383!!
                    Terry Stinehelfer
                    Bucyrus, OH

Comment

Working...
                    X