Studebaker 289 valve lash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Studebaker 289 valve lash

More questions guys! How many threads do you normally see after adjusting the valves (what is too many). I had the cam reground and was told it would not affect the pushrod length that much. The lifters are new not reground and the head gaskets I have are a shim style that is much thinner than what I took off so I was not worried about it. I am seeing 3 to 5 threads probably mostly 4.

Here are the latest pictures. http://s189.photobucket.com/user/mik...?sort=3&page=1

sals54

Comment

To answer the question...you didn't ask.

Yes, all of your changes will affect the geometry. Normally negitivly from the "as designed" geometry.
      In the other hand, for a normal road going engine, it's not enough to either worry about or enough to harm anything in the engine.

Actually if you think about it, in removing material from the cam, and having a thinner head gasket, you've actually gone the other way a little. Still no harm.

And like Sal says, as long as the adjusting is moderatly tight, your fine there too. Having threads above the rocker is fine. Those threads do nothing in that position..! As long as you have room for further adjusting (nut to rocker arm space), you'll be fine.
      If you run into not being able to adjust the valves because the nut is too close to the rocker, shim the rocker stands up about .010" or .015".

Mike

Comment

Studebaker even allows .048" variation in the length of the pushrods.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

My old 232 was always noisy.. What was the valve settings.. Were they noisy because of the gears??

Comment

Thanks for the reply's. The valves are adjusted and there is significant resistance in the threads still. I was just wondering if I was on the ragged edged of running out of sufficient threads. I have not taken a studebaker rocker arm adjusting screw all the way out before. I am used to Ford FE engines where the optimum would be two to three threads and was not sure what you guys usually see. I am setting them by my manual .026 cold both intake and exhaust this is a new build never heard this run before so I am not sure about noises.

Comment

Mike, You're gonna love the sound of the Stude V8. I've often showed up at local car shows and with the large diameter pipes and flowmaster mufflers, and been asked if I was running a big block chevy in my car.
              sals54

Comment

I have a good Ford friend that just built a studebaker and almost put a 289 Ford in it. Then he he remembered all the dorks that put small block chevys in old Fords to save a couple hundred bucks so he stayed true to studebakers. He and I agree that these are stout engines with unique differences and should be kept in place. I am not bagging on chevys but they need to stay in their place(unless you have a late model studebaker). This has been a awesome learning experience and I hope to build another studebaker engine in the future.

Comment

Working...
                X