Modern Day Studebaker Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern Day Studebaker Restoration

I notice a lot of really nice Studebakers on EBAY that are very nicely restored until it comes to the interior which is usually nicely done just not original and does not meet the definition of "restored". I can't help but wonder why the majority of owners go this way. My guess is availability of correct seat covers and dashes is the main reason. I wonder if there will ever come a day when we will have affordable, correct interior options for our cars like other antique makes have available.

Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

My experience with restoring Studebakers is.....After you break the bank....And your retirement....the final caveat is the interior of your beautiful Studebaker.
      What to do??
      ...Go cheap, and hope nobody notices....Find finances from your relatives...friends... or God forbid da bank.
      But do whatever it takes to complete the project.....You will never regret it....The Judges will reward you.

Comment

Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I remember the first Zone Meet I went to in Arizona about 35 years ago. I was surprised that virtually all the cars had nice fabric interiors instead of original type vinyl. I asked someone why that was, and the reply was 'you don't put vinyl in a car if you want to drive it down here'.
          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

While our interior isn't 100% stock, we tried to make it look close to original even though the exterior was radically cutomized back in the 50's. There is something very special about seeing an original or close to original interior.
            Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
            jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Contact info for Rene'?

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
                Contact info for Rene'?
                Page 61 (full page) in current Turning Wheels.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Or here: http://www.alpha-omegaclothingco.com...tudebaker.html
                  sigpic

Comment

I've literally spent hours trying to find after-market seat covers to fit later larks that are not custom or reproduction. Even something like the indian (horse?) blanket variety you see on a lot of cars. I can find NOTHING. Not a single vendor that I can find makes anything to fit our bench seats. If you have an older truck, no problem, but for a car, there is nothing. JC Whitney is a joke. I can't see anything there either. Can someone set me strait (I hope)??
                    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Well...after years of selling to manufacturers, from golf balls, bakeries, cars, trucks, to tank engines...I can assure you that "original" is rarely "best." Even on what we consider "high-end" products, the pressure is to produce the product to meet "MINIMUM" standards at the "LOWEST COST."

My view of "original" value has evolved over the years. My take has changed from strict original to "as good or better" than original. Paint is a good example. Why would you want to coat your car with fragile lacquer, or gooey enamel, when much more durable options are available? Same applies to sound deadening, insulation, wiring, brakes, lubrication...you name it.

I am no longer in the camp of "assembly line exactness or else!" After all...it's in our name, "DRIVERS" club and not the SPC (Studebaker Picklers Club).
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Very well said John! I just spoke to Rene' and have a firm idea of what I'm going to do in my 57 Commander.

Comment

"I notice a lot of really nice Studebakers on EBAY that are very nicely restored until it comes to the interior which is usually nicely done just not original and does not meet the definition of "restored". I can't help but wonder why the majority of owners go this way."

I can understand how some car guys want to own something that is as close as possible to its original manufacture, with the exception of the brakes on some older cars which are just not safe in modern driving conditions. I think it is great that some people restore these cars so that others can see how cars were "back in the day". But I don't think it is right to criticize people who have a different objective in restoring and upgrading older cars. I doubt that anyone has done more radical mechanical modernization to a Studebaker than I am doing, but my intention is that it should look like a 48 Champion when I am done. I will delete the bumper uprights and a couple of pieces of chrome because I think the lines of the body look less cluttered without them, and I will use modern wheels and tires. Most of the people who see it at the local car meet or the grocery store will have never seen a 48 Studebaker and will certainly not know if it is "original".
                          I am keeping the interior mostly stock except for some instruments and hanging pedals. I bought a car with a recently restored interior which is in nice condition, with the mouse fur seats, door panels and headliner. But if the seats needed to be redone, I would not hesitate for one second - I would go to the local pick-and-pull and get some nice modern seats from a Mercedes, BMW, Lexus or whatever would fit, for about $250, and use them. I am building this to drive, not to win a trophy at the local concours and sit in the garage. The original bench seats are adequate for any cornering forces that could be generated by the original suspension, wheels and tires, but I expect mine to handle like a modern sports car. The time may come when I get tired of sliding around and want some modern bolstered bucket seats. Time will tell.
                          Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
                          See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

This post has nothing to do with customizing your vehicle 48skyiner. It has to do with the lack of availability of correct interior material at a reasonable price for those that want to restore their car to original. Customizing is the easy way because like Scott pointed out for Larks especially there are literally no correct options for getting a correct interior. I have noticed at Barrett Jackson and Mecum the resto rods are usually done with correct reproduction seat covers on other makes because they are available. I do believe we have a need for a decent interior product for our cars. That is my point. I am fully aware of Rene and his outstanding work but his product is aimed at the high end cars and not the mainstream. Otherwise I see a day coming when the cars at our meets are 95% custom with very few correct examples.

Originally posted by 48skyliner View Post
                            "I notice a lot of really nice Studebakers on EBAY that are very nicely restored until it comes to the interior which is usually nicely done just not original and does not meet the definition of "restored". I can't help but wonder why the majority of owners go this way."

I can understand how some car guys want to own something that is as close as possible to its original manufacture, with the exception of the brakes on some older cars which are just not safe in modern driving conditions. I think it is great that some people restore these cars so that others can see how cars were "back in the day". But I don't think it is right to criticize people who have a different objective in restoring and upgrading older cars. I doubt that anyone has done more radical mechanical modernization to a Studebaker than I am doing, but my intention is that it should look like a 48 Champion when I am done. I will delete the bumper uprights and a couple of pieces of chrome because I think the lines of the body look less cluttered without them, and I will use modern wheels and tires. Most of the people who see it at the local car meet or the grocery store will have never seen a 48 Studebaker and will certainly not know if it is "original".
                            I am keeping the interior mostly stock except for some instruments and hanging pedals. I bought a car with a recently restored interior which is in nice condition, with the mouse fur seats, door panels and headliner. But if the seats needed to be redone, I would not hesitate for one second - I would go to the local pick-and-pull and get some nice modern seats from a Mercedes, BMW, Lexus or whatever would fit, for about $250, and use them. I am building this to drive, not to win a trophy at the local concours and sit in the garage. The original bench seats are adequate for any cornering forces that could be generated by the original suspension, wheels and tires, but I expect mine to handle like a modern sports car. The time may come when I get tired of sliding around and want some modern bolstered bucket seats. Time will tell.
                            Last edited by StudeMichael; 04-08-2014, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Here is an example on EBAY right now. Nice car but look at the interior.

Comment

Working...
                              X