Port Matching Avanti Intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Port Matching Avanti Intake

I been out of commision for about three weeks. Injured my leg and when I went to the orthopedic, after the first week, I also contracted the shingles. Still got about six weeks of being careful. So enough whinning. I have been piddling in the shop the last week or so. Started to do a little port matching on the R1 intake. To my surprise the ports are really inconsistent. Especially number eight port. Is this normal? I know factory cast intakes are not real uniform, but this is a real difference? Anybody noticed this?

Making all the outlet ports match the gasket is a worthwhile exercise, but it won't make many more horsepower. Then the intake ports in the head have to also be gasket matched, but that won't make many more horsepower. There's a lot more to it and many twists, turns and restrictions to be dealt with between the carburetor and the cylinder.

When Tom Covington was flowing the manifold and ported head together, he had a heckuva time trying to get all the cylinders to flow the same. The Studebaker intake manifold flow is ultimately limited by the low profile required to keep it under the C/K/Avanti hood. The high rise intakes Jeff Rice builds will make much more horsepower, but then one would be living with that hood scoop breaking up the styling many of us love most of all about Studes. Horsepower requires tradeoffs.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Pretty much what Jack said.

I've never seen a manifold vs. the heads too far off. Be carefull about the signs you are looking at. It's really not a big deal, I'd actually spend more time putting a large radius on the underside of the carburetor pad. Where the plenum and the port "roof" come together. It's normally a sharp, machined angle. Noticed driveability can be the gain for some work spent there. THe high side of the ports (both to the front AND the rear) is fairly easy, while the low side will be a pain. Do the best you can, that'll be more worth your time thAn the manifold to head port matching.

Note, in "matching" the ports, the manifold ports should be slightly "smaller" (.020" or so) thAn the head ports. This will help with the movement of the manifold alignment during assembly. It'll help make sure the "step" isn't going the wrong way.

Mike

Comment

I ain't trying to make horsepower. Just got a lot of layout dye to use up. LOL Ain't gonna cut my hood. I guess the old saying about "There is no substitute for cubic inches" must go double for Studes. Headers don't make horsepower. Port work don't make horsepower. What in the world makes horsepower? Just kiddin'. I just noticed a big difference in the #8 intake port?

Comment

Working...
        X