1962 Lark Radiators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 Lark Radiators

Bought a nice old 62 Lark from my friend Neil Thornton last year. It needs some attention and I noticed a radiator leak that became pretty significant. I am having it totally reworked at a local radiator shop as the core was rotten. For those of you that have done this...what is a fair price for removing, reworking and re installing?

I know what I am paying...just trying to make myself feel better.

Two young gals have seen the car and want to leave their wedding in it...so I gotta make it presentable and road worthy...at least to get them a block away from the church. Good motivator to get some work done on it anyway.
    Thanks for your thoughts and expertise as I am a newbie.

Herb Modesitt
    62 Lark 4 Door

BTW...the two young gals are marrying guys and have separate weddings...the way it reads gives impression they were marrying each other.
    Not in the back of my Studie.

Comment

I had the one in my 62 daytona redone a few years ago. Upgraded from a two core to three core and it ran around $180

Comment

Fair price? Subjective for what you're willing to pay..

You don't want to know what I paid for my rebuild, but it was a special build.

However, a re-core can cost between $300 to $500.

Hopefully, the shop expressed the difference in cost and benefits between keeping a dual core OEM and a dual core high efficiency re-core.

In Phoenix it can get to 115F! Going to a 3 core high efficiency multi-pass radiator on a car with AC was worth the cost opposed to being stuck on the freeway getting flipped off for over heating.

Comment

Hello Herb. Good to see you on the forum. Sorry to hear about the radiator. I was hopeing you were enjoying driving the Lark. But to some of us,working on them is enjoyable also. We got Josh's Lark put back together enough for him to drive and I can't get it stopped long enough to do any more to it.

I hope the new radiator works out good for you. Neil
          Neil Thornton

Comment

Good to hear from you Neil and hope you and Edie are doing well. Been so cold through the winter, just kept the Lark in the garage. After the radiator I am having a headliner put in and maybe a few other odds and ends on the interior. Looking forward to driving her some thru the spring summer and fall.
            What model was Josh's Lark?
            Herb

Comment

Thanks for your expertise.
              $500 is the price I am paying but the radiator will outlast me and the car so I am glad to move on to other areas of focus on the car.
              Getting flipped off in 115 degree heat sounds like no fun....I agree.

Comment

Sounds like you have landed the best deal I have heard of. Congrats!

Comment

For the record: a Chevy 350 conversion radiator for a 1972-86 Jeep CJ is almost 100% plug 'n' play in a 1959-66 Lark type with either a Stude or Chevy V8 . Identical dimensions but the mtg holes are different.
                  --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

nice radiator for sale on swap page if going to SB

Comment

Originally posted by Java lark View Post
                      Good to hear from you Neil and hope you and Edie are doing well. Been so cold through the winter, just kept the Lark in the garage. After the radiator I am having a headliner put in and maybe a few other odds and ends on the interior. Looking forward to driving her some thru the spring summer and fall.
                      What model was Josh's Lark?
                      Herb
                      All are doing well here Herb,Thanks for asking. I still miss that little Lark. It was my jump in, and scoot around town car. Also the family "back up" car when somthing else broke down.

When my grandson was driving it daily, the bottom radiator hose outlet became UNSOLDERED! never seen that before or since, He found a used rad.in my stash of parts. That's the one in the car when you got it.

Josh's Lark is a black 60 2dr ht. It was sitting at the end of the line with the front sheel metal and engine removed when you and Tammy were here.

Check out Josh Pair on facebook. His car is his cover photo.
                      Last edited by rockinhawk; 04-05-2014, 04:01 AM.
                      Neil Thornton

Comment

Working...
                      X