Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

232 timing gear cover/1957 259, will it fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 232 timing gear cover/1957 259, will it fit?

Will the timing gear cover from a 232 fit a 1957 259 engine?

If it won't I'll give you one if you pay shipping.

Comment

Where ya' going to put the fuel pump?

Comment

I won't be using a mechanical (as in cam driven) fuel pump. I have a 1957 259 I am going to use in my 52. I have a 1951 232 engine which I can use for parts.

Comment

I think it will work better this way than the reverse. I put a later timing cover on my '51 232. I merely blanked off the fuel pump opening. The problem with the later aluminum timing covers with the fuel pump profile, is that the original 232 water manifold will not fit with the later timing cover in place. Therefore, I had to change the water pump manifold. I went to the later timing cover with the improved modified chevron seal that I bought from Lionel Stone. I don't know if anyone converts the early timing covers to this type of seal, but it sure helped my car leak less oil.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Well yes it will fit. Here is a picture of the mock-up assembly:Click image for larger version

Name:	20140411_142758.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1688568
            Look closely the tin 232 timing cover is installed on the 259 block. At the time I asked the question I didn't have the 232 where I could take it apart to determine for myself if it would work.

Comment

Did you leave off the fuel pump eccentric? I mocked this up some time back and I thought I remembered it hitting?

Comment

That looks like it should work, the only issue I see is that Left Hand side choke would require a '51 Exhaust Manifold with the Left side Choke Heater unless you change the Intake and Carb. to a '55 to 57.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes, I removed the fuel pump eccentric from the cam so the 232 timing gear cover would fit and I have the 232 choke heater from the 232 so I'll build a reasonable facsimile for the 259 exhaust header. May look at the 232 oil pan as an option too.

Comment

Didn't the early 232's have a choke stove on the left manifold (seperate). Do you have one? I might on a old engine?

Comment

Flashback: This is what you are refering to: Click image for larger version

Name:	20140412_144020.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1688579, which is on the 232 exhaust manifold.

Comment

Yep, you are correct. Ya already got it.

Comment

Since you are installing a 259 in "stealth" mode...I have a question and perhaps a possible idea to further its appearance as a 232. My question is...how small are the electric fuel pumps? In all my years of tinkering with these old cars, I have zero experience with the inline after-market electric fuel pumps. However, I was wondering if they are small enough to fit inside a gutted mechanical pump. If so, it would be a cool trick to fit an electric pump inside the housing of one of the mechanical pumps and install it on the oil filler tube to look like an original pump. Aside from some creative plumbing for the fuel line, the electrical wiring would require some special routing to not draw attention to it. That would be a pretty good challenge for someone who enjoys tinkering the way I do.

Of course, if this does not work, you could still gut the mechanical pump, put an internal tube from the inlet to outlet so that gas would merely pass through it, and hide the electric pump in a safe place under the car along the chassis. At local cruise-ins, aside from seeing the V8 in my Land Cruiser (most non-Studebaker folks seem to think that all bullet nose Studebakers came with only flat-head six engines.) the fuel pump on the top of the engine mounted on the oil filler gets lots of comments.
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

JClary, it never occurred to me to hide the electric fuel pump in the mechanical pump, I leave that to someone else, I think. I plan to as you say gut the mechanical pump and just flow fuel through the sediment bowl and pump.

Comment

Working...
                            X