Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were these on the 68 Prototype?

Did Studebaker make motor homes in 1968? BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

What years did Clarke make those 'motor homes' using left over Studebaker stuff?
      And did their tail lights look like this?
      (my pictures are at home so I can't look)

StudeDave '57
      StudeDave '57
      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
      SDC Member since 1985

past President
      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
      San Diego Chapter SDC
      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Another sucker for "STDB"
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Appears they are for a Fairlane/Torino fastback.

Craig

Comment

Close, but no cigar. It actually resembled a H/T rather than the F/B, but no Ford tail lamp lens has amber lenses encompassed within.

Comment

They're for a full size '68 Ford (Custom, Galaxie) part number C8AZ-13450-A or E. The "amber" at the bottom is just the result of camera flash on the reflector, not actually a different color lens. The '68 Studebaker connection probably comes from reading the code on the back-up lens "SAE STDBR 68", that would be enough to confuse someone not familiar.
              Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

Anyway I sold all my Studebake's years ago, they never cooked all the way thru, not as good as a George Foreman.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

In any event, I don't believe there was a 1968 prototype - but will surely here from those who know if wrong. We, as Stu Chapman will recall, were struggling to make 1966 vehicles, I believe 1967 prototypes were designed, still it all came to naught.
                  John Clements
                  Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by Skinnys Garage View Post
                    They're for a full size '68 Ford (Custom, Galaxie) part number C8AZ-13450-A or E. The "amber" at the bottom is just the result of camera flash on the reflector, not actually a different color lens. The '68 Studebaker connection probably comes from reading the code on the back-up lens "SAE STDBR 68", that would be enough to confuse someone not familiar.
                    I'm going to disagree, there's no such part number as C8AZ-13450-A and this pictured lens appears to be flat.

I owned a 1968 Galaxie XL H/T (63C) several years ago, this lens doesn't look anything like it.

If you email me (sylhall@aol.com), I'll send you a pic from the 1965/72 Ford Passenger Car Parts Catalog.

Haven't been able to post pics on this site, but have posted dozens on FTE (ford-trucks.com).

Comment

Originally posted by avantilover View Post
                      In any event, I don't believe there was a 1968 prototype - but will surely here from those who know if wrong. We, as Stu Chapman will recall, were struggling to make 1966 vehicles, I believe 1967 prototypes were designed, still it all came to naught.
                      1968-70 models existed only as numerous concept drawings: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=marcks

Craig

Comment

I think Bill is right in Post #10.

Take a second look at the OP; that lens is huge compared to a 1968 Ford Galaxie / LTD lens.

The subject lens is leaning against the back of what appears to be a tufted Lazy-Boy chair. We have a similar Lazy-Boy and the dimension of those two tufted portions totals at least 16." That's much taller than a 1968 Ford lens.

I'll bet the subject lens has a truck / RV / motor home application. BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                          I think Bill is right in Post #10.

Take a second look at the OP; that lens is huge compared to a 1968 Ford Galaxie / LTD lens.

The subject lens is leaning against the back of what appears to be a tufted Lazy-Boy chair. We have a similar Lazy-Boy and the dimension of those two tufted portions totals at least 16." That's much taller than a 1968 Ford lens.

I'll bet the subject lens has a truck / RV / motor home application. BP
                          Bob,

I suspect you are correct in that the lens is also flat faced as opposed to concaved in the red lensed areas, which it was on a full size Ford, and fastback Torino as I previously mentioned, though the Ford big-truck taillights I remember were more rectangular, not barrel shaped, with a much smaller rectangular backup light on the top end of it. (or bottom end of it, depending on which way the housing was mounted)

Craig
                          Last edited by 8E45E; 03-31-2014, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Is the lens resting on one of the new "Captain's chairs" developed for the Motorhome?

Comment

Originally posted by Chucks Stude View Post
                              Is the lens resting on one of the new "Captain's chairs" developed for the Motorhome?
                              An excellent possibility; good thinking. BP

Comment

Working...
                              X