No announcement yet.

power window regulators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: power window regulators?

Has anyone tried the universal flat glass power window regulators in a 56 wagon? (or anything sedan with similar doors)

Both my window regulators are bent up and useless, both the glasses were broken and loose in the bottom of the doors, and the channels that attach the glass to the regulators are even bent beyond recognition. When I bought the car I was told there were no door windows in it. I just figured all this out.
    I think the glass they tried to put in the car was poorly cut. Really rough edges, and not quite the right shape and size. Coupled with junk window felt runs that are way to tight for the glass move freely, caused the damage.

I have found all the window channels and felts at studebaker International, and glass at sanders, but the regulators are the final piece of the puzzle. I really dont want to spend $400 per door for regulators, so I just thought I would see what others think. Any help is appreciated.

Those regulators should be the same for a number of years and models. I have not checked the parts books, but I suspect that front door regulators from 53 to 58 sedans, or at least late 55 to 58, will work.

In other words, they may be easier/cheaper to obtain than you think.

If you want to put power windows in place, and prefer them over the wind up type, then that is a different matter.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Power windows are an easier install units are available from a number of vendors. Being familiar with your body style there'd be no complications.
      Kim

Comment

I have a NOS power window passenger side regulator, 310122, if you're interested.

It's well below $400.

Send me a PM if interested.
        Dan Peterson
        Montpelier, VT
        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Check these guys out. http://www.nu-relics.com/ A quality product at a fair price.
          Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
            Check these guys out. http://www.nu-relics.com/ A quality product at a fair price.
            I think I will go with these. BUT, I am unclear what is included with there kit as far as the glass to regulator connections. I may be in need of some additional parts from what I gather.

aside from the regulators that were rolled up into a ball inside the doors, my glass mounting channels are trashed. Anyone know where to get these?
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0348.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	1690894
            Also, besides these, what else do you need to use nurelic regulators? I have sent them an email, and made a call, but they have yet to respond.

Comment

You'll need to acquire another pair of channels. That's all.
              Here's the kit'

Originally posted by AC0J View Post
              I think I will go with these. BUT, I am unclear what is included with there kit as far as the glass to regulator connections. I may be in need of some additional parts from what I gather.

aside from the regulators that were rolled up into a ball inside the doors, my glass mounting channels are trashed. Anyone know where to get these?
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]35423[/ATTACH]
              Also, besides these, what else do you need to use nurelic regulators? I have sent them an email, and made a call, but they have yet to respond.
              Jerry Forrester
              Forrester's Chrome
              Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Thank you! do you know where to find the channels? I have only found a 56 4-door commander in the old junk yard around here, but I am pretty shure they are not the same. My bent channels look longer than the glass in the 4 door.

Comment

update,
                  After about 6 hours in the garage, I got the nurelic regulators and glass in. the regulators do not fit that great in my 56 wagon. The motor hits inside the door, before the mounting plate touches the inside of the door. You can get the bolts in, but it seems to be on a bit of a bind. This causes the regulator gear to come around and hit the lower mount plate on the vent window channel. It works OK, at best. I cannot mount the lower half of the front track, or it stops the window 2 inches before it is shut. a Couple of times it has pulled the door glass rightr out of the mounting channel. I put some adhesive in there to see if it will hold. also the window is not level to the top of the door when down. It seems like there is some modification needed to make these work?
                  I feel like I would have been better off with the universal flat glass units...

here is the kit;

Name:	reg1.jpg
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	1691616

Here is a picture of the regulator hitting in side the door, taken down from the vent window location.

Name:	reg.jpg
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	1691617

which makes the regulator angle away from the front two mounting holes like this;

Name:	reg4.jpg
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1691618
                  The back two bolts are ok, the front two holes, the included bolts barely reach the mounting plate because of the angle created by the motor hitting in the second picture. It is this way on both doors. I think they are working but I am not happy with them, and not sure if they will be trouble free.
                  I will try again tomorrow, BUT i still cannot bolt the lower front track on the vent window because the regulator scrapes on the inside of the door right at where the bracket is. it pushes the front track out of its way as the window nears fully closed. I think it is because the regulator in not fitting in the door correctly.

Comment

If the motor hits on the inside of the door can you cut a opening for it on the door inside panel? As long as it isn't to big it shouldn't weaken the door enough to worry about.

Comment

What's the latest opinion on these power windows?Has anyone installed them with no major problems,or is door surgery required?Also what switch is used?I'm interested in possibly using in 54 k body which has the square regulator shafts.

Comment

Working...
                      X