• Wow.... What a time machine...

64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

That is one nice looking Studebaker.
    I like the outside rearview mirror.
    Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

Comment

I saw it when I checked ebay this morning. Was going to post it, but you beat me to it. I hope this listing doesn't get pulled early. This car is in comparable condition to the '35 Dictator I bought off C/L last fall. Mine is a 2A--it has the planar front suspension as opposed to the 1A solid front axle. I don't like the radial tires on the ebay car. It has convinced me to go bias ply on mine--mine needs new tires. Current ones date back to at least the mid-1970s. Am curious to see whether I paid too much for mine--I'm sure I did, at least according to the price guides, so the question is how much did I overpay. So I hope this one sells (or a least that the bids reach what I paid for mine!). Here's a link to some photos of my car, if you're interested in checking it out. Hope to take some better photos of it this spring.

Comment

While I'm not a potential purchaser of this car, I do have questions for the experts here.

Are those taillight lenses on the fenders original? I recognize that the ones attached to the bumper brackets are not.
        Is the brake master cylinder attachment original? If so, when did Studebaker start putting them under the driver's floorboard?
        Is the wood graining on the dash and window surround painted onto steel, or was it still really wood?
        Underneath, the steering gear box appears to have the pitman arm shaft coming out slanted to the rear. How long did Studebaker use this arrangement? And no center pivot, so did it have proper Ackermann steering, or did it steer like a modern chevrolet?
        I can't see around the darn exhaust pipe, but does it have overdrive?
        With lacquer paint, can that crazing be "buffed out" or somehow renewed without a total repaint? Or is the crazing only on the surface, and not likely to fail and thus cause rust formation?

This is a beautiful design, looking unified, like one person designed the entire piece from one end to the other in one sitting. My preference is still for cars before 1928, but this has to be a high point for depression era design.

Comment

Beautiful, complete car. That will make someone very happy indeed.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Champ51 View Post
            Is the brake master cylinder attachment original? If so, when did Studebaker start putting them under the driver's floorboard?
            Is the wood graining on the dash and window surround painted onto steel, or was it still really wood?
            The master cylinder was under the floorboard until 1960. In 1961, the Larks were the first to get the master cylinder moved to the firewall, and then Champ trucks in 1963.

Inside, it was painted to appear like wood.

Craig

Comment

So what is that on the mirror?
              Thermometer?
              At first I thought it was some kind of speedometer.

Comment

Originally posted by Champ51 View Post
                While I'm not a potential purchaser of this car, I do have questions for the experts here.

Are those taillight lenses on the fenders original? I recognize that the ones attached to the bumper brackets are not.
                Underneath, the steering gear box appears to have the pitman arm shaft coming out slanted to the rear. How long did Studebaker use this arrangement? And no center pivot, so did it have proper Ackermann steering, or did it steer like a modern chevrolet?
                I can't see around the darn exhaust pipe, but does it have overdrive?
                With lacquer paint, can that crazing be "buffed out" or somehow renewed without a total repaint? Or is the crazing only on the surface, and not likely to fail and thus cause rust formation?

This is a beautiful design, looking unified, like one person designed the entire piece from one end to the other in one sitting. My preference is still for cars before 1928, but this has to be a high point for depression era design.
                The tail lights are incorrect. My car has only one tail light--the passenger side was an extra cost option on the lower end trim lines--but mine is correct. See my photobucket link in my earlier post.

Yes, as Craig posted, wood grain on dash and window surrounds is paint on steel.

I don't think this car is equipped with overdrive. I don't see an OD lever under the dash. Mine doesn't have OD either. Without OD, top comfortable cruising speed is between 45-50 mph.

Not sure about the paint question, but I doubt the crazing can be "buffed" out. My '50 has a partial old lacquer repaint. Some "crazing"--more like hairline cracks. Didn't buff out. Maybe someone here has a suggestion for a fix for this. I think the cracked paint would eventually fail and peel. I've seen that before. Depends on the quality of the repaint job that's on there.

Comment

Not being familiar with this era, is the thermometer on the mirror a Studebaker item? It's very cool!
                  Chip
                  '63 Cruiser
                  '57 Packard wagon
                  '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                  '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

As southbend said, the taillights are wrong. Standard equipment was a single left hand light.
                    1935 was the first year for hydraulic brakes. 1934 Studebakers used Bendix Steeldraulic cable brakes.
                    The angled part you are looking at is the bottom end of the sector shaft. The pitman arm is going forward to the drag link which in turn goes to the right wheel and then a reach rod goes from there to the left wheel. No centre pivot needed and it does have proper Ackerman steering.
                    1935 was the last year for the fabric roof insert.
                    No, it doesn't have overdrive.
                    Curiously, it does have two windshield wipers. Base level cars usually only had one.
                    Crazing can't be buffed out. A repaint is the best way to correct it, not something I would do on this car.

Terry

Comment

Studebakers of this era are lovely cars. Some of the best looking 4 doors ever. I like it.
                      "In the heart of Arkansas."
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

If it was all that it appears to be, I'd buy it for $7000 . . . of course, shipping from California to Indiana would probably cost $2000??? I would not repaint it, just do any minor upgrades as needed and leave as is. It'll probably draw higher bids than $7k anyway.

Comment

Crazing or more commonly called "lacquer checking" or "crows feet" cannot be buffed out. It would require stripping & refinishing. It was common years ago to have this malady when paint got too thick. However, on my 66 Daytona I personally repainted it, stripping it to bare metal & repainted with acrylic lacquer using only 3 quarts for the entire refinish & it still checked. My feeling is the quality of acrylic lacquer paint in the past 25-30 years has gotten so bad as manufacturers tried to meet emissions standards. I have used since catalyzed enamels as on my #1 Avanti (PPG) & to date it looks like it was just done, even after almost 20 years. Personally I wouldn't use anything else today.
                          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                          64 Zip Van
                          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by sochocki View Post
                            If it was all that it appears to be, I'd buy it for $7000 . . . of course, shipping from California to Indiana would probably cost $2000??? I would not repaint it, just do any minor upgrades as needed and leave as is. It'll probably draw higher bids than $7k anyway.
                            FYI, I recently got a quote from Peg Trucking for shipping a car from Utah to Georgia open transport. Was $1100.

Comment

Originally posted by dictator27 View Post
                              As southbend said, the taillights are wrong. Standard equipment was a single left hand light.
                              1935 was the first year for hydraulic brakes. 1934 Studebakers used Bendix Steeldraulic cable brakes.
                              The angled part you are looking at is the bottom end of the sector shaft. The pitman arm is going forward to the drag link which in turn goes to the right wheel and then a reach rod goes from there to the left wheel. No centre pivot needed and it does have proper Ackerman steering.
                              1935 was the last year for the fabric roof insert.
                              No, it doesn't have overdrive.
                              Curiously, it does have two windshield wipers. Base level cars usually only had one.
                              Crazing can't be buffed out. A repaint is the best way to correct it, not something I would do on this car.

Terry
                              My '35 has only one wiper. But it appears it came from the factory with the passenger side drilled for one and plugged with a rubber grommet. I assume this is how they came from the factory. If so, it would be easy for the dealer to install the passenger side wiper or the new owner to do so at some point.

Comment

Working...
                              X