Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58 transtar glass ?

hey guys,
    I have a 58 Studebaker transtar that is too much of a project for me to deal with. when I purchased the vehicle it was in pieces, its now mostly together but I have what I believe is the glass for it in a box in the garage, "the windshield & rear glass" my issue is I'm selling the truck and have a buyer for it for parts, but he doesn't want the glass "to save $" I would like to sell the glass but I have never installed glass, and I don't want to damage it, but I want to be sure it is the right glass before I list it for sale on craigslist. so how can I determine if its the correct glass for the truck, without test fitting it " I really don't want to break it trying" it came with the truck but the guy that sold it to me had a lot of parts. its new never installed.

* also if you could tell me what a fair price is for the glass both a price for the windshield, and the rear glass I would appreciate it. thanks for your time.

Brand new windshields are available for $250-300. Not sure anyone is reproducing the rear glass. $100 maybe?
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Are these boxed, crated, or just loose?
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The first "Clue" about if it is '55 to '64 "C" Cab Glass would be is the W/S a rather narrow, bent in the middle not curved glass?

The Rear Glass would be narrower and unusually curved, (Bowed out) from top to bottom.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich, 54 - 64 has the one piece curved wind shield - some people think 55 was the first year for this,but that's wrong.55 - 64 has the wide rear window,and would have curve too it. 54 and earlier would have the more narrower rear window "but it would be flat glass"
          Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          The first "Clue" about if it is '55 to '64 "C" Cab Glass would be is the W/S a rather narrow, bent in the middle not curved glass?

The Rear Glass would be narrower and unusually curved, (Bowed out) from top to bottom.
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Yep knew that, it really was not an important part of this discussion. But you are right, on Vehicles I have never owned, very few '54 to '66's that I have not, I do tend to forget those obscure details of obscure Vehicles.

Does ANYBODY own a '54 Truck? Do you? It seems you could count them on 2 hands!

Just trying to help out the '58 Transtar owner, but it still is not good to put out incorrect info.
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I don't,but My father bought one in 1981. a 54 1 1/2 ton car hauler that was used for many years in a salvage yard.it had a ram and cable set up instead of a winch,usually took 2 - 3 hook ups to get the vehicle on,"but it worked". I completely restored the cab in and out,and Dad put a n.o.s. Transtar grille up front but kept the original hood.
              Yep knew that, it really was not an important part of this discussion. But you are right, on Vehicles I have never owned, very few '54 to '66's that I have not, I do tend to forget those obscure details of obscure Vehicles.

Just trying to help out the '58 Transtar owner, but it still is not good to put out incorrect info.
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I did for 30 years. Sold it to my neighbor.

Comment

Yes. A 3R6 pickup with OD. Have owned since 1973, and it is FINALLY is in the paint shop. Factory replacement Commander 6 with 6300 miles on it so far, rust-free cab, and NOS fenders, doors, grille, bumpers, emblems, seats, etc.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

glass

its a 58 c cab, the glass is front and rear, tempered and curved in the box new with stickers on it, thanks for the info and help so far guys, so $ 300 cash sounds like a fair price for both? I also have the rubber to install new in packaging as well. for both windows.
                    what would be the going rate for all of it?

Comment

Originally posted by newmextrader View Post
                      its a 58 c cab, the glass is front and rear, tempered and curved in the box new with stickers on it, thanks for the info and help so far guys, so $ 300 cash sounds like a fair price for both? I also have the rubber to install new in packaging as well. for both windows.what would be the going rate for all of it?
                      So, did you NOT read Post #4 telling you what you wanted to know to determine what this unknown glass actually fits?

Because this post says nothing about whether it is, or is not, as I described it.
                      Windshields are never "Tempered" Glass, they are Laminated, Safety Plate Glass.
                      The Front Glass is NOT "curved", but "Bent" in the center.

So that puts us back to square one. ????????
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Travis, check Your PM box. " upper right blue bar "
                        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

glass

So, did you NOT read Post #4 telling you what you wanted to know to determine what this unknown glass actually fits?Because this post says nothing about whether it is, or is not, as I described it. Windshields are never "Tempered" Glass, they are Laminated, Safety Plate Glass. The Front Glass is NOT "curved", but "Bent" in the center. So that puts us back to square one. ????????
                          yes the windshield is bent, the rear glass appears to have a slight curve to it I can see the laminating of the pieces. I *believe* on bottom of window "rear glass" it has an eching that said tempered glass, but I can check tomorrow to be sure, its got a slight tint to it. the box says "curved windshield safety glass. thank you for the great info, I do read the posts, but I am a novice in the Studebaker/ windshield world, and am guessing at the terminology, the windshield is a crazy shaped piece of glass that's for sure. thanks again

Comment

Working...
                          X