ID:	1742877Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0521.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1742878Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0520.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1742879I am using '62 GT outer front fenders on my '54, and needed to plug the trim holes I won't be using. I couldn't reach the back side to hold my copper spoon, and no helpers available today. Being impatient and not wanting to wait for help I came up with a way to do it alone. I took a magnetic welding ground clamp and stuck it on the back side. It worked great, 'til I got to the front of the fender. The curve is tighter there, and the magnet didn't make enough contact to hold. I ground flats and beveled the sides, allowing it to fit up in the curve better, and it worked well. I removed the washers and outer nut from the clamp, and backed the inner nut out to allow the contact to reach in the curved spots.Hope this helps somebody
    Attached Files
    Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

QUICK! Patent that device or it will show up at Harbor Freight next month for $9.99 ($7.50 with a 25% off coupon).
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
      QUICK! Patent that device or it will show up at Harbor Freight next month for $9.99 ($7.50 with a 25% off coupon).
      Not quick enough http://www.harborfreight.com/magneti...ock-30754.html and on sale for $5.99 too.

BTW a durn good idea.

Bob

Comment

Great idea and very timely for me. Thanks!
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

I put a 62 GT fender on my Silverhawk. I cut some small pieces of sheet metal, stuck them to the underside with JB Weld,then filled in the holes with a mig welder.
          Neil Thornton

Comment

I have been successful by duct taping a rock under the hole. Just a random rock I grabbed from the driveway. Primitive yes, but I had nothing to lose so I tried it. As long as the holes were not very big it looked great. It was with the arc welder not the wire.

Comment

1954 Nice job! that a way to fix the "unfixable" . A very professinal job..Another way is cutting a patch piece of steel to fit the hole, and use a spot welder to weld the body pull pin to the center of patch , cut it same diameter as hole,so you can hold the spot welded pin and patch with pliers over filling the hole. Tack weld this patch, alternating with cooling time around patch. I have an old magnetic welder ground that I will try your technique to .Thanks for sharing,good like with your project.. Mike..

Comment

This is something I aint looking forward to on Josephine... -55 Regal sedans have quite some holes under the trim + the flat "aeroplane" on the hood & the "wing" on the trunk.
                But reading this now I remember in the 60's young guys used to just put chrome antenna-holes-fillers on the sides of their "customized" Amazon, beetle or Impala & now I thought "wait a minute..."
                & the came the 2:nd thought... & if you're a fan of shiny stuff, do NOT read this:
                To just weld the holes & paint over them, leaving it obvious that you just did THAT!
                I'm still not sertain...

Comment

hawk58man, Mike, I use the copper backup for holes under 1/2 inch, anything bigger than that I use your method and cut small patches to fit the hole.
                  Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Working...
                  X