Studebaker always comes out on top.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker always comes out on top.

Well today was the big day in fact it was supposed to happen last Thursday and then Friday but it did happen today with some good team work between Nibbs 53 ( Patrick Mallin) myself and the truck driver, you see the drivers calls me and said he was here ready to bick up the 53 Studebaker that is going to Pa. That would be the nice original 53 commander starliner that Matt bought a month ago. We were to meet him at the Auction yard in Hayward , Ca. and make the transfer there since his rig is a large 10 car hauled and it take lots of room just to move it around. We got the about 11:00 AM and for some reason he figured it ran and had brakes, surprise! surprise! surprise! it does not run and has no working brakes and he needed to put it way up on top in front so he could just have it out of his way as he picked up others as he drives across the country and most of you know these big rigs do not have a winch to help move thing up the ramps. But as Pat and I have moved many cars around for many years I said lets just pull my truck and trailer along side and run my winch cable up and around the center support and then down the center of his trailer and hook the 53 on and my 9,000 lb. winch can do all the work, so that what we did and in an hour we had the 53 up on top and all the way forward, here are a few shots of the team at work.

Pat takes one last look and said ya it up there and done ready to go east.

Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Awesome job boys! Bob check your PM's.
    Jim
    I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
      Well today was the big day in fact it was supposed to happen last Thursday and then Friday but it did happen today with some good team work between Nibbs 53 ( Patrick Mallin) myself and the truck driver, you see the drivers calls me and said he was here ready to bick up the 53 Studebaker that is going to Pa. That would be the nice original 53 commander starliner that Matt bought a month ago. We were to meet him at the Auction yard in Hayward , Ca. and make the transfer there since his rig is a large 10 car hauled and it take lots of room just to move it around. We got the about 11:00 AM and for some reason he figured it ran and had brakes, surprise! surprise! surprise! it does not run and has no working brakes and he needed to put it way up on top in front so he could just have it out of his way as he picked up others as he drives across the country and most of you know these big rigs do not have a winch to help move thing up the ramps. But as Pat and I have moved many cars around for many years I said lets just pull my truck and trailer along side and run my winch cable up and around the center support and then down the center of his trailer and hook the 53 on and my 9,000 lb. winch can do all the work, so that what we did and in an hour we had the 53 up on top and all the way forward, here are a few shots of the team at work.

Pat takes one last look and said ya it up there and done ready to go east.
      It will be fun getting it off at destination.
      Kind of reminds me of loading one of Torrey Kirby's cars to go from WV to Louisiana. The '63 GT was not only not running and had no brakes (not even a parking brake), but was barely moveable (had been sitting for 30 years). The truck showed up with three new Nissan Altimas on top and a $100,000 Mercedes with 5 miles on the odometer and a Lexus SUV on the bottom. Driver wanted the Hawk in front on the bottom. Winch? What winch? After the driver unloaded the Mercedes and the Lexus I pulled my truck up tight along the side of the trailer and we hitched several tow straps together and I began pulling. One helper was behind the Hawk (being loaded rear end first) with a block to stop it if a strap broke (which it did). When we got it on the hump it started rolling and hit the front bulkhead of the trailer denting the bumper and breaking the tail light lenses. Trucker didn't say anything, just loaded the Mercedes and Lexus behind the Hawk and started out. The truck had to take a very circuitous route to get back to the highway because there were too many low-hanging tree branches on the short route.
      The truck made it to Louisiana in two days and the Hawk unload was uneventful. The buyer had the car running and drove it around ion his yard within a week of delivery.
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
      X