Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Went to the junk yard today, what's a Twin Traction axle out of a '60 lark wagon worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went to the junk yard today, what's a Twin Traction axle out of a '60 lark wagon worth?

I went exploring an older junk yard today and was able to find 3 stude's. A '60 Lark sedan with a Sweepstakes 289, a '60 lark wagon v8 with a TT rear axle, and a '63 wagon OHV6 with a sliding roof. Unfortunately all three of these cars are WAY beyond help but I was thinking of going back for the rear axle if it'd be worth it and would fit under my '53 Commander coupe?

I will take the TT rear axle

Comment

Is it a Dana 44??

Comment

Originally posted by Zenwren View Post
        Unfortunately all three of these cars are WAY beyond help but I was thinking of going back for the rear axle if it'd be worth it and would fit under my '53 Commander coupe?
        I am sure it will fit under your '53.
        But with this little information I can't tell you if it would be a good idea.

What drivetrain (engine/trans) is in the car?
        What ratio is the differential from the wagon?
        Ratios for manual transmissions aren't always compatible with automatics.
        232 engines aren't always compatible with ratios that came with later (more powerful) V8s.

Originally posted by E. Davis View Post
        Is it a Dana 44??
        I ought to be. My understanding is that all V8 wagons got 44s.
        The diff under my '57 Parkview came from a V8 powered Lark wagon.
        It is a 44/TT unit with 3:31 gears.

StudeDave '57
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I am a newbie to Studebaker pricing so I could be way off, but I have been wheeling and dealing in 61-72 Chevy parts for half my life so I will base it on that.
          I would say for me it depends on if the lark wagon TT rearend has the gear ratio I wanted for my '53?
          How do the rearends look...are they nice, cleabn? or have the cars been missinag rims and atires and the the drums been buried in the mud for the last 20 years?
          Does your car currently. have a 27 or 44 in it now?
          Like I said my Stude knowledge is gathered fron about the last 6 months of reading forums but have been active on all the gm forums. swapmeets.hands on. ets. id guess a stude dana 27 tt rear in ready to go condition other than cleanind and painting, changing fluids, brake shoes...id guesstimate 150-200 and a dana 44 200-250.00
          Ok guys if im off a 100.00 or so in either direction PLEASE be nice! I have owned my first studebaker for less than 6 months!

Comment

I couldn't really get under the car as it's frozen down, I'm really only going by the "TT" emblem. It was a v8 3sp o.d. car.

Comment

Originally posted by Zenwren View Post
              It was a v8 3sp o.d. car.
              Your car or the wagon...?

StudeDave '57
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

The wagon. My car is has an auto but was originally a 3 speed o.d. I'm not sure what my rear is. I haven't checked or had the pleasure of driving it yet.

Comment

Do either one of the wagons have the elusive third row seat?
                  sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                  Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                  "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

After all these years, you'd wanna crawl under that wagon and see just what it does have. 27s and 44s will swap easily - driveshaft length being the primary "other part" to pull it off. So many of these cars have had driveline (as well as many other) parts swapped in the interest of just keeping them going. Sedans and wagons got no real respect or appreciation while in service to the general public. So there wasn't a whole lot of holding them to what parts books specified.
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
                      Do either one of the wagons have the elusive third row seat?
                      Of all the things I was trying to remember to check for, that is not one that i rememered. I'll be sure to check next time I'm there.

Comment

Originally posted by S10V8.98223 View Post
                        Id guess a stude dana 27 tt rear in ready to go condition other than cleanind and painting, changing fluids, brake shoes...id guesstimate 150-200 and a dana 44 200-250.00
                        Ok guys if im off a 100.00 or so in either direction PLEASE be nice! I have owned my first studebaker for less than 6 months!
                        If think you're in the ball park on the TT Dana 44, but you are a little high on the TT Dana 27. I tired selling a 3.73 Twin Traction Dana 27 a few years ago for $150 and had almost no interest. I offered at a Studebaker Swap meet last fall for less and still no interest.

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                        After all these years, you'd wanna crawl under that wagon and see just what it does have. 27s and 44s will swap easily - driveshaft length being the primary "other part" to pull it off. So many of these cars have had driveline (as well as many other) parts swapped in the interest of just keeping them going. Sedans and wagons got no real respect or appreciation while in service to the general public. So there wasn't a whole lot of holding them to what parts books specified.

Comment

Not worth much IF it is a "27" TT, like under the '60 V/8 Lark wagon out behind my sheds, and NOT a "44."

Comment

In changing a rear from a 27 to a 44 in addition to the driveshaft length the "U" bolts & leaf spring plates are different. U bolts are wider on a 44 for the wider axle tube.
                            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                            64 Zip Van
                            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Even if you don't get the whole axle, I will pay you for the identification tag bolted under two of the cover bolts. It's about 2.5" long and reads "This is a Studebaker Twin-Traction Axle, fill with appropriate lubricant only..." etc. If it's there, please grab it and let me know what you want for it - mine was lost by my shop and I really want another.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X