aluminum transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: aluminum transmission

Yesterday I had a guy try to sell me a 4 speed transmission he said came from a Hawk. It is an aluminum case transmission, he said there were only 12 of them ever used in Studebaker manufacture. What can any one tell me about this?

Did it have a Studebaker input shaft? That's the easiest way to start the investigation.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

I am pretty sure the only aluminum autos every used by Studebaker were the late 1963-66 6 cylinder ones.

I would be very skeptical of what he is telling you without some further details.

Chris.

Comment

Hey stude dude -

Please reread the original post.

Mike

Comment

Hah, sorry, when I see the word transmission, I immediately think in terms of automatics....its the terminology I'm used to in this part of the world.

I am sure there are plenty of aluminum case T-10's out there that could have been factory fitted to Studes.

Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by stude dude View Post
            I am sure there are plenty of aluminum case T-10's out there that could have been factory fitted to Studes. Chris.
            FWIW, in the early days, aluminum case T10s were only fitted to racing Corvettes. Not impossible a few found their way into the '61-62 Hawk, but I've never seen one.

On the other hand, someone got all excited by an aluminum tailshaft housing and thought that was rare and valuable.

It would even be possible to install Stude gears into a Corvette aluminum case. However, those are more valuable to date-code-correct-nut-job Corvette restorers, so why devalue one by using it as Stude stuff?

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Ted,

Did you buy the trans? Can you get more info, casting numbers, input shaft photos or dims? Kind of curious about this one. PM me if you have time.

JK

Comment

Working...
              X