Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trouble removing taper key from steering knuckle!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Trouble removing taper key from steering knuckle!

Just wondering what the trick is to removing the taper key from the steering knuckle on a 1/2 ton 59 pickup? I have followed the shop manual I think and feel I have put plenty of force (hammer and drift) to the key and that it should have moved by now. Is there something I am missing? Please advise? I added these pics and manual instructions to see if anyone can help? Thanks again. Still no movement of pin after two days of pounding on it and trying PB blaster. Have not used any heat yet. Where could I heat this up to get it to start moving?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by comtnbykr; 03-20-2014, 01:55 PM.

I hope you get good responses because I had the same problem trying to remove the pin from my 52 2R5. Eventually I gave up. I suspect the only way to get it to budge is to heat it with a torch. That is how I got the pin out of the lower door hinge.

Comment

No help yet but I have my hopes someone will come through for me. Thanks.

Comment

Heat axle around pin and squirt in your P B a couple times. allowing to cool a little between. Then drive out with brass. If king pin is stuck: Heat the axle, not the spindle, a couple of times, squirting a 50/50 mixture of acetone and auto trans fluid each time, into the top end and at gap between spindle and axle (top gap), allow to cool some both times. Then heat again and drive out pin with brass if available.

Comment

Thanks I will give her a try!

Comment

Dumb question: You are trying to drive the pin back out from front to rear, correct?

Originally posted by comtnbykr View Post
            Just wondering what the trick is to removing the taper key from the steering knuckle on a 1/2 ton 59 pickup? I have followed the shop manual I think and feel I have put plenty of force (hammer and drift) to the key and that it should have moved by now. Is there something I am missing? Please advise? I added these pics and manual instructions to see if anyone can help? Thanks again. Still no movement of pin after two days of pounding on it and trying PB blaster. Have not used any heat yet. Where could I heat this up to get it to start moving?
            Ron Dame
            '63 Champ

Comment

Not a dumb question at all. Yes I am trying to drive it from the front to the rear, but have been wondering if this was the correct direction. Wondering if by some chance the taper key could have been put in from the front and drove to the rear when installed prior to my getting the pickup? I have been following the manuals directions as far as from the front to the rear. Thanks Ron any other ideas much appreciated.

Comment

Usually, the hole around the "head" end of the taper pin will be staked. That means a small punch was used to break down the edge of the hole behind the pin to lock it in place. You should be able to see that.

Why not simply remove the entire axle, and take it to an automotive machine shop that does such work, like an old-line alignment shop that does truck work? They can use a hydraulic press to push out the lock pins, and the king pins, and they should have the necessary reamer to ream the new bushings after they are installed. You do have to ream new bushings. That is a step that cannot be avoided.
                Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Yeah I finally got the key removed, Thanks for the help. Lots of heat now onto removing the Kingpin. I should have got your message gordr about a week ago and then this would have been accomplished already. That's what I get for being a rookie on the job! thanks I will have to keep that in mind the next time I run into such a big hassle. Like I said next is the kingpin removal and then off to get it reamed and then the bushings installed hope to have that done this next week.

Comment

Working...
                  X