Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bought a non running 57 Hawk - now I need a good place to work on it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a non running 57 Hawk - now I need a good place to work on it.

As I said in another thread, I recently bought a non running 57 Hawk

And so, now I need a good place to work on it.

I have a 3 car garage at my home that can use once I move on to the small stuff, but I'll need some other place to get the big stuff sorted out.

I 'm also considering buying a rust bucker 57 Hawk for some parts so I'd need a temp place to disassemble that one. (My HOA doesn't approve of rust buckets in the driveway)

What do you all do? I assume the storage rental type place would not be a good choice?

MOVE!

Most Storage Units have it in the contract that there are to be no using their Power or working in the units.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Here are a few pics of my new acquisition:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140307_085453.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	1688325Click image for larger version

Name:	20140307_085642.jpg
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	1688326Click image for larger version

Name:	20140307_085545.jpg
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	1688327Click image for larger version

Name:	20140307_085559.jpg
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	1688328Click image for larger version

Name:	20140307_085757.jpg
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	1688329Click image for larger version

Name:	20140307_085752.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	1688330

The only things real obvious are the floorboard/firewall, the glass and the front right fender. Hopefully I can get donor car for those.

Comment

I had a good ol boy with a garage and a lot of bravado do the disassembly. Goin back together got tense as he had a slightly different vision than I. By that time, though, I was ready to send it to a high$ body shop. It may move around on you, but once back in your driveway, you'll be proud of it and so will the HOA. Good luck.
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          MOVE!

Most Storage Units have it in the contract that there are to be no using their Power or working in the units.
          Unfortunately I just moved from the country where I had the space and the right to do what I wanted on my own land to a place that has no open space and HOA rules.

I sold my truck at about the same time. Thinking back, maybe I should have found a smaller scale hobby to take up than classic cars...

Comment

You might looks look around your area for industrial areas that have multiple smaller shops, usually in metal buildings. These usually have good power, decent floors and some may even have security. In this economy you may be able to strike a 3 or 6 month deal with a landlord. Another choice would be to find someone who would rent you space in their shop. In the past I have gone in with a couple buddies I could trust and we rented a place together.
            Pat Dilling
            Olivehurst, CA
            Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

i like Pat's idea above.

another option may be to check with a neighbor (maybe an elderly widow?) that doesn't use part of their garage, and "rent" a space to park a vehicle - not to work on, but to free up space in your garage for repairs.

i disguised a "work in progress" in my driveway for about a month by placing a car cover over it. that might work for your parts car for awhile. i parked mine after dark and quietly...

i suppose that would work depending if your HOA "members" have nothing better to do than find silly, minor violations. i once had a unexpected 2 day stay in the hospital, and got a notice from my HOA that i was in "violation" since my trash can was left next to the street over the 24 hour "allowed maximum time" it could remain there!
              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Pat - that's exactly what I did.

I had two threads going, a "how do I move it?" one and a "Where do I work on it?"

Looks like I may have solved both. I scouted around and found a local shop that races and dismantles Camaro/Firebirds for parts.

They may have extra garage space, and (even if not) offered to go pick my car up for me on their race trailer for $150. Such a deal!

And since they dismantle cars possessing GM V8 engines, I may be able to work an engine and transmission purchase/install into the overall deal as well! (remember that my new Hawk is lacking motor/tranny)

Wish me luck!

Comment

When I lived in So Cal, I worked with a guy who had several old cars and lived in a home that was watched over by the HOA "police". After a few battles he rented a small airplane hanger at the local airport. He has a place to work on them, and storage as well with no more battles.
                  George King
                  Grants Pass, Oregon
                  64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

Originally posted by pbrown View Post
                    Looks like I may have solved both. I scouted around and found a local shop that races and dismantles Camaro/Firebirds for parts.

Wish me luck!
                    Heck YEAH! I'll wish you luck! Some time back, there was a local news report (complete with helicopter video) of such a shop. In addition to Camaros and such, they were dismantling and selling parts from all kinds of high dollar cars. Only problem was, they were picking them up on their trailer and hauling them off the beaten path to their "Chop-Shop!"

I think the Feds were involved busting this bunch.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I had two threads going, a "how do I move it?" one and a "Where do I work on it?"

They may have extra garage space, and (even if not) offered to go pick my car up for me on their race trailer for $150. Such a deal!

And since they dismantle cars possessing GM V8 engines, I may be able to work an engine and transrownpurchase/install into the overall deal as well! (remember that my new Hawk is lacking motor/tranny)

Wish me luck!
                      Mr.Brown,

You could bring the rust bucket to my place and strip it for parts and leave the hulk here.

Bo
                      Bo

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Markham View Post
                        Mr.Brown,

You could bring the rust bucket to my place and strip it for parts and leave the hulk here.

Bo
                        Thanks for the offer , but the "rust bucket" has disappeared from its position on the lawn with the for sale sign.

I have a call into the owner to see what he did with it, so we'll see...

Comment

And since they dismantle cars possessing GM V8 engines, I may be able to work an engine and transmission purchase/install into the overall deal as well! (remember that my new Hawk is lacking motor/tranny)

Wish me luck!
                          Sounds like you fell into a great solution. Keep us posted on your progress.
                          Pat Dilling
                          Olivehurst, CA
                          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Working...
                          X