Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Went to look at a 39 Commander 2 door sdn. in nice shape.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went to look at a 39 Commander 2 door sdn. in nice shape.

I knew about this car and its history for a long time. It has had two owners in its life. It had 48,000 miles and always ben in very good hands. I tried to buy it but so far have not got it as yet. Is there many of these around? I could have brought it home but they have not agreed to sell it as yet. Its a six cylinder. Did Commander have overdrive back then. I have always had Fords and If I get it will be my first Studebaker.

The '39 Commander 2 door is very rare. If you can buy it, considering the condition you describe, by all means, buy it. I have fond memories of my dad's '39 Commander when I was a kid. If you don't buy it, you'll hate yourself later on. Just my opinion.
    Rog
    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

pics?????????????
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

In '39, all Commaders were using what we commonly call a "Commander Six" or "Big Six" Either way, they're one in the same. There's a real good chance it has overdrive.

BTW - welcome to the SDC forums.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The two door (non coupe) was called a Club Sedan. There were 4218 built in '39 of which 16 were side mounted. As compared to the 4-door cars they were very low production and there are not many survivors (see pic below). The bodies were the same as the '38s. Much more rare is the President Eight in this body. Only 598 of those were built in '39. Yes, the overdrive was available on all models in '39 and a very useful option. I wrote an article on this body style for the July/August 2009 Antique Studebaker Review. Also a major article on all of the 1938-40 Commander and Presidents for the June 2010 Collectible Automobile.

Click image for larger version

Name:	39 comm club sedan richter.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	1688294
          Richard Quinn
          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
            The two door (non coupe) was called a Club Sedan. There were 4218 built in '39 of which 16 were side mounted. As compared to the 4-door cars they were very low production and there are not many survivors (see pic below). The bodies were the same as the '38s. Much more rare is the President Eight in this body. Only 598 of those were built in '39. Yes, the overdrive was available on all models in '39 and a very useful option. I wrote an article on this body style for the July/August 2009 Antique Studebaker Review. Also a major article on all of the 1938-40 Commander and Presidents for the June 2010 Collectible Automobile.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33223[/ATTACH]
            Is the car in the picture Allegany grey? That's what I want to paint my CE I think.
            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Looks more like Sun Valley Tan Irid. You might want to contact Ed and ask him. Send pm for email.
              Richard Quinn
              Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

This 39 is black and does not have overdrive. Wish it did. I will know something in a week or two about getting it. It a strong Number 2 car and not a frame off but looks like one. I will get some pictures latter on.

Comment

Here is one for sale at a local swap meet just two weeks ago. Don't know if Commander or President.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0669.jpg
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1688304 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0670.jpg
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	1688305

The area code (difficult to read) is 559. That's central California. The "$75.00" price sign you see in first pic is for the FORD tailgate. Although there were parts inside the Stude, the interior was pretty much missing.
                  KURTRUK
                  (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                  X