Need help! 1955 Studebaker President Speedster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help! 1955 Studebaker President Speedster

I am coming into possession of a 1955 Studebaker Presidential Speedster. The car is in original shape (just exterior dust). Been sitting in a garage for over 8 years without any attention. I am new to studebaker world (chevy, fords, and Bus Conversions). What should I be concerned with as I try and get the car back running. I plan on cleaning the fuel lines and carb without question. All fluids will be drained and replaced. The battery was removed so a new one is due. Is this car a six or 12 volt? The original owner died about 5 years ago and so very little information is available. The car rolls without issues and no body rust or damage has been found. I plan on ordering the build sheet from the Museum by the middle of next week. I think the car has overdrive and that might be a good thing? The pictures look like the car came with all the options available. Where should I go for more information and perhaps replacement parts as I get her back on the road.

Thanks

Grant

Welcome.

The car is six volt, positive ground. The battery size is group one.

You should buy the official shop manual, plus the chassis parts manual and the body parts manual. The parts manuals are at least as important as the shop manual, and maybe more so. They have professional line drawings of every system and part on the car. All the manuals are available at the major Studebaker vendors. You will be able to find any part you need to make the car operational. Trim parts may be harder to find, but again, this forum is a good place to be.

The biggest Studebaker parts vendor west of the Mississippi is Studebakers West in Redwood City. There are also lots of folks who have used parts. One of the best known is Bob Peterson in Hayward.

Lots of advice here on the forum.

Since you are new to Studebakers, please don't do the newbie thing and decide to redesign every system on the car. The cars are very well built and designed. They have some peculiarities like any make does, but they are not weird, strange, or impossible to fix.

Take your time and research the car. The model you bought is very desirable.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Welcome to the Studebaker Drivers Club and to the SDC forum Grant, I am always glad to hear of New members on the West Coast where the best Cars come from.
      You did pick a good one, the '55 President Speedster is very popular, desirable and when restored to original condition, quite expensive.

The Speedster was the ONLY Post War Car Studebaker ever built that came fully equipped like a Cadillac!
      The only option was the Detroit Gear Div. of Borg Warner 3 Speed, 3 Band Studebaker Automatic Drive or the Borg Warner T-86 3 Speed Manual Overdrive Trans.

All of those goodies from the Fog Lights, Front Bumper Guards, Dual side view Mirrors, Wire Wheel Covers, Wide White Wall Tires, 4 Barrel Carb., Dual Exhausts, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Back-up Lights, Tinted Glass, Push Button Radio, Climitizer Heat & Defrost System, Leather Interior, Cigar Lighter, Clock, Turn Signals to the special Chrome Exhaust Tips were Standard on Speedster and Optional on applicable other models.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Are you sure it's a real speedster?

What are the serial number and body tag numbers?
        Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
        Kenmore, Washington
        hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
        '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
        '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
        '69 Pontiac Firebird
        (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Welcome, Grant!
          You will receive a great deal of help and support here.
          I would encourage you to join the SDC to receive the monthly magazine Turning Wheels, and make contact with other like-minded owners in your area.

I encourage all owners of cars that have sat for any length of time to read this very good article from the SDC home page Tech Tips.

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/TechThings2do.asp
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            Welcome to the Studebaker Drivers Club and to the SDC forum Grant, I am always glad to hear of New members on the West Coast where the best Cars come from.
            You did pick a good one, the '55 President Speedster is very popular, desirable and when restored to original condition, quite expensive.

The Speedster was the ONLY Post War Car Studebaker ever built that came fully equipped like a Cadillac!
            The only option was the Detroit Gear Div. of Borg Warner 3 Speed, 3 Band Studebaker Automatic Drive or the Borg Warner T-86 3 Speed Manual Overdrive Trans.

All of those goodies from the Fog Lights, Front Bumper Guards, Dual side view Mirrors, Wire Wheel Covers, Wide White Wall Tires, 4 Barrel Carb., Dual Exhausts, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Back-up Lights, Tinted Glass, Push Button Radio, Climitizer Heat & Defrost System, Leather Interior, Cigar Lighter, Clock, Turn Signals to the special Chrome Exhaust Tips were Standard on Speedster and Optional on applicable other models.
            Umm, how about power windows and power seat, not considering other options that could be dealer-installed like windshield washers, etc.?
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Hi Grant, I sent You a PM.
              Originally posted by gooldg View Post
              I am coming into possession of a 1955 Studebaker Presidential Speedster. The car is in original shape (just exterior dust). Been sitting in a garage for over 8 years without any attention. I am new to studebaker world (chevy, fords, and Bus Conversions). What should I be concerned with as I try and get the car back running. I plan on cleaning the fuel lines and carb without question. All fluids will be drained and replaced. The battery was removed so a new one is due. Is this car a six or 12 volt? The original owner died about 5 years ago and so very little information is available. The car rolls without issues and no body rust or damage has been found. I plan on ordering the build sheet from the Museum by the middle of next week. I think the car has overdrive and that might be a good thing? The pictures look like the car came with all the options available. Where should I go for more information and perhaps replacement parts as I get her back on the road.

Thanks

Grant
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Never arrived!

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                Hi Grant, I sent You a PM.
                Please send it again, it never arrived!

Comment

The serial number is 780756I and the body tag is 6H-K7 1329.

Comment

Congratulations Grant and welcome to Studebakerdom! We have a very active Studebaker Drivers Club Chapter centered around Sacramento. I am proud to the the Chapter President. We have at least three members in our chapter that have '55 Speedsters, along with a number of other knowledgeable members. We are a friendly and helpful bunch, I hope you will consider joining us. Our web page is www.hawktalks.com. We just had a meeting today I wish we could have gotten in touch sooner. Feel free to give me a call. (530)seven four three-4176

Pat

PS, I don't think anyone mentioned yet that there were only 2215 1955 Speedsters made, and that is the only year they were made. A very special car.
                    Last edited by Pat Dilling; 03-16-2014, 03:30 PM.
                    Pat Dilling
                    Olivehurst, CA
                    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Are 1955 Studebakers subject to the same hood opening
                      cautions as my 1957 Packard?
                      If so Be careful opening the hood Grant!
                      Pop the hood release, pick hood up to release safety catch.
                      Then pull hood toward you, then lift.
                      Would hate to see that hood bent!
                      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

All great info owing to friendly club members and forum website funded by the Studebaker Drivers Club. Please join us. Online application is located on the homepage links. welcome jimmijim
                        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Grant, I sent it again - let Me know if You get it.
                          Please send it again, it never arrived!
                          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Maybe Grant was looking for that PM to show up in his E-mail instead of his PM feature here. He is, after all, a noob.

Grant, as you may already know, there were only 2215 Speedsters built. There were also more President hardtops built - same body and driveline but without the leather interior and other trim differences.
                            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The serial number is 780756I and the body tag is 6H-K7 1329.
                              Yes, a 6H-K7 IS in fact a '55 President Speedster.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X