No announcement yet.

Do all of the front bumpers shake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Do all of the front bumpers shake?

I backed my 59 Silver Hawk out of the shop this morning to let it warm up before I went to put fuel in it for the first time
    since the frame off restoration. I noticed the front bumper shakes a little left to right when the engine is at idle. I looked underneath all is tight
    but the movement is in the bumper mounting brackets. It originates at the front of the frame out to
    where the bracket bars curve around the inside of the bumper. Do they all shake like this? I wonder how
    much it moves around from road vibration. I thought I would ask here to see if anyone has noticed this.

I'm a newbie, but my 56 wagon does that too. I have not looked too far into it, but My bumper does shake side to side. I noticed it when I hit my shin on it waking past the car, it wagged for a few seconds afterwards!

Comment

The bumpers shook on every Hawk I have ever owned. Most notable at idle, but hard to see them when traveling down the road

Comment

Joe I noticed on my 64 the brackets where welded there from the factory. I'am sure that was the plan was to try to stiffen up the brackets so they wouldn't shake. Some of the welds had broke loose.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
          Joe I noticed on my 64 the brackets where welded there from the factory. I'am sure that was the plan was to try to stiffen up the brackets so they wouldn't shake. Some of the welds had broke loose.
          Do you think welding the brackets instead of bolting them would solve this? Or would mine crack also?

Comment

My 59 Lark, 259 eng.
            My 60 Lark, 259 eng.
            My 54 Conestoga, I-6 eng.
            My 54 Conestoga (2), I-6 eng.
            My 54 sedan, I-6 eng.

None of the above shake....when tuned correctly.

Comment

The brackets are not welded to the car they are bolted. But there are two brackets a inner and outer and they are welded together where they are bolted to the frame and right at the end where they Y out to the bumper.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                My 59 Lark, 259 eng.
                My 60 Lark, 259 eng.
                My 54 Conestoga, I-6 eng.
                My 54 Conestoga (2), I-6 eng.
                My 54 sedan, I-6 eng.

None of the above shake....when tuned correctly.
                Not a very good comparison Mike, not one of these is a C or K Body, different Engine mounting, wheelbase, Bumpers are "closer" to the Frame with shorter Brackets than a C or K and way closer to the Engine. -Apples and Oranges.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It ended up being the tune. An error on my part. I had wired the positive wire for the pickup on my Pertronix unit after the ballast resistor instead of in front of it.
                  It sounds the same but the bumper shake is no more.
                  Thanks Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X