Thinking about a new division of my business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about a new division of my business

I have been thinking of adding a "classic driver" division to my used car business. I currently sell modern every day cars and trucks. In New York State it is always a big ordeal to get cars through state inspection because of the computerized components. I also do a little finding, inspecting, and buying higher and collector cars for customers.

What I am thinking of is something no one anywhere around here does: stocking a selection of non-show, driver quality classic cars and trucks that people might want to use as daily transportation, probably early 60s through late 70s; In particular, pick up trucks. The salt on our roads in winter is rough, but I could give them an absolute state of the art rustproofing and hope for the best. As a companion to it, the repair shop I am in the process of building will specialize exclusively in classic cars. While there are many regular repair shops in the area, the vast majority of them have no idea how to work on old cars.

My thought was maybe a guy would be willing to pay $8-$10,000 for, say, a 73 Ford F250 that is clean and solid inside and out with serious rustproofing and a shop that can properly maintain an older vehicle nearby. A lot of guys around here on a truck for occasional utility and as a backup vehicle. It gets old paying $40,000 for a vehicle for that use. At least, for some guys it would be. The big question would end up being, how many?

At least as a concept, it's interesting. I intend to do the classics only repair anyway, maybe I'll test the waters with a couple older vehicles.

Does anyone know of a business anywhere that is doing this specifically?
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Bob,kinda a neat idea. Don't hold Me too this,but I think for the most part You'd be dealing with "ANTIQUE" cars/trucks.as You already said,I would test this with something pretty down too Earth first"not sure just what Vehicle that should be"? ya I'm not aware of any shops that do just that,neat idea though I guess You'll find out if $8,000 - 10,000 is gonna bring the crowds,or maybe even less $$ where possible
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Orbey's auto repair and used cars Middleburg, FL. Been in business 30 years that I know of, As a person he's a first class JERK but he has good people working for him

Comment

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
          I have been thinking of adding a "classic driver" division to my used car business. I currently sell modern every day cars and trucks. In New York State it is always a big ordeal to get cars through state inspection because of the computerized components. I also do a little finding, inspecting, and buying higher and collector cars for customers.

What I am thinking of is something no one anywhere around here does: stocking a selection of non-show, driver quality classic cars and trucks that people might want to use as daily transportation, probably early 60s through late 70s; In particular, pick up trucks.

My thought was maybe a guy would be willing to pay $8-$10,000 for, say, a 73 Ford F250 that is clean and solid inside and out with serious rustproofing and a shop that can properly maintain an older vehicle nearby.
          IMO, this is waay more than one of these trucks is worth. In fact, it's way more than any 'average' 1961/79 F100/250 is worth. I recently passed on a decent 1974 F250 Super Cab, 360/C6 with dealer A/C. Seller (a pal of mine) wanted 2500 bucks, he sold it to a gardener for 1800 bucks.

Yesterday, a newbie member of FTE (Ford Truck Enthusiasts - ford-trucks.com) typed a thread inre to a 1974 F100 Ranger 6 1/2' Styleside he's considering buying (off craigslist) for 2400 bucks.

Truck is located in GA, member in FL. Pics of the truck have been posted, VIN has been decoded (by me: NumberDummy is my FTE user name). It looks nice on the outside, but the newbie has been advised that this is too much money to pay...due to swapped parts, unknown mechanicals/rust, and the fact that the seller has lied (so what else is new!?) inre to some features.

Suggest you join FTE then ask what these trucks are worth. Ask about the problems that crop up, where the rust is usually located, where parts can be found.

1961/80: The 5th digit of the VIN is the assembly plant code. 1963/80: The DSO code stamped on the 3rd line of the Warranty Plate (located on the left door face below the latch), decodes to the city/state the truck was ordered from.

Original FoMoCo records are available for all 1967/79's (from martiauto.com for a fee). Nothing is available prior to 1967, as FoMoCo THREW AWAY all the records decades ago!

btw: 1961/79 trucks have the aerodynamics of a brick. Regardless of what engine they have, expect to get no more than 8-12 MPG city. People might get 17 MPG hiway, if they drive like Uncle Fudd: 55 MPH

How much does a gallon of 87 octane go for in CT? Here in LA LA Land, it's over 4 bucks a gallon.
          Last edited by WinM1895; 03-14-2014, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post

What I am thinking of is something no one anywhere around here does: stocking a selection of non-show, driver quality classic cars and trucks that people might want to use as daily transportation, probably early 60s through late 70s; In particular, pick up trucks. The salt on our roads in winter is rough, but I could give them an absolute state of the art rustproofing and hope for the best. As a companion to it, the repair shop I am in the process of building will specialize exclusively in classic cars. While there are many regular repair shops in the area, the vast majority of them have no idea how to work on old cars.

My thought was maybe a guy would be willing to pay $8-$10,000 for, say, a 73 Ford F250 that is clean and solid inside and out with serious rustproofing and a shop that can properly maintain an older vehicle nearby. A lot of guys around here on a truck for occasional utility and as a backup vehicle. It gets old paying $40,000 for a vehicle for that use. At least, for some guys it would be. The big question would end up being, how many?

At least as a concept, it's interesting. I intend to do the classics only repair anyway, maybe I'll test the waters with a couple older vehicles.

Does anyone know of a business anywhere that is doing this specifically?
            Bob, there's a dealer in Montreal Quebec, John Scotti Motors, who specifically sells vintage cars separately from his group of new car stores. He advertises regularly in Old Autos, a Canadian hobby newspaper. You could try Googling his operation. I do know he has had a few very good Studebakers on sale recently but at prices higher than I would consider realistic.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by WinM1895 View Post

btw: 1961/79 trucks have the aerodynamics of a brick. Regardless of what engine they have, expect to get no more than 8-12 MPG city. People might get 17 MPG hiway, if they drive like Uncle Fudd: 55 MPH
              The trucks made today have the aerodynamics of a brick. Have you seen the 2014 Silverado/Sierra? It makes the 1969-75 International Harvester pickup trucks look sleek! Fortunately, today's trucks have more fuel efficient engines plus additional gear ratios and therefor get about twice the fuel mileage. As for the Ford's from the 1970s, stay far away from their 360 engine (although by now, many have probably been converted into a 390)!
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                The trucks made today have the aerodynamics of a brick. Have you seen the 2014 Silverado/Sierra? It makes the 1969-75 International Harvester pickup trucks look sleek! Fortunately, today's trucks have more fuel efficient engines plus additional gear ratios and therefor get about twice the fuel mileage. As for the Ford's from the 1970s, stay far away from their 360 engine (although by now, many have probably been converted into a 390)!

360 390 are the same block/heads only difference is stroke, 390 has a longer one, Johnny

Comment

Great idea, I think you would be able to flip a lot more in the 3000-5000 range. They would still be pretty nice if they were rust free southern cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
                    Bob, there's a dealer in Montreal Quebec, John Scotti Motors, who specifically sells vintage cars separately from his group of new car stores. He advertises regularly in Old Autos, a Canadian hobby newspaper. You could try Googling his operation. I do know he has had a few very good Studebakers on sale recently but at prices higher than I would consider realistic.

Stu Chapman
                    I was present when Scotti Motors bought a car for just over $30,000 (Toronto Classic Auctions, R & M) a few years ago and had it advertised for just over $70,000 in Old Autos. It did not sell for a couple of years. This car was a "turn key" vehicle. I guess if you want to make big bucks be prepared to wait.
                    sigpic
                    55 President Deluxe
                    64 Commander
                    66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Well...Perhaps someone has already made the comment I'm fix'n to make, but I'm too lazy to go back and read the entire thread to check. That said...I've know several used car dealers who started into the "vintage" car business by keeping an eye out for great deals in older cars. As far back as the late '50's and through the '60's I knew a guy with a small car lot that seemed to keep at least one or two twenty or thirty year-old "Cream-Puffs" on his lot. I believe many of them came from estate sales. I never recall any of them being "restored," but great low mile original cars. He apparently developed a reputation, both as a buyer, and seller. I don't know what kind of network he had for acquiring the cars, but for years, you could always count on two or three great examples to be for sale on his small lot.

My point is to keep doing what your know and put the word out that you are looking to bid/buy low mile good condition older vehicles. Develop your sources, build some goodwill, and adjust your business emphasis as profit and personal satisfaction permit.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by 58PackardWagon View Post
                        Great idea, I think you would be able to flip a lot more in the 3000-5000 range. They would still be pretty nice if they were rust free southern cars.
                        1973-79 Ford F series are a dime a dozen here in Arizona along with the same era Chevy pickups. And there are quite a few 1967-72 Chevy and Ford pickups left here as well.
                        --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Thanks for the comments, guys. Stu, I did look at Scotti. Holy cow, there are 400 cars in their collector division. Way beyond anything I was thinking. And they're high-end cars besides. I handle cars like that for customers, but I think that there just might be a market locally for stuff that can be daily driven without worry, while dodging the ridiculous NYS computerized inspection and emissions nonsense. And doing so in a simple vehicle that can be fixed without an $8K Solus. We can also fix and maintain them and others' classics- nobody knows how or wants to work on old cars around here.Bill W., your point is well taken about the trucks. Certainly I need to do more research, and I will before I commit money to it.Maybe this is a viable idea, maybe it's pie-in-the-sky, born in my love of old cars. Time will tell, but as of now I think it can be something special. We will see!
                          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                          Romans 15:13
                          Deuteronomy 31:6
                          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Sounds like a good way to diversify at no high risk.

Comment

Hi Bob,

This is a classic driver dealer in Lynnwood, WA about eight miles from my house. They've been there at least as long as I've been here ( 18 years) so they must find it a profitable business model.

Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                              Kenmore, Washington
                              hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                              '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                              '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                              '69 Pontiac Firebird
                              (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Working...
                              X