NADA Values

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NADA Values

I am wondering what the thought is on NADA values for classic/collector cars; and Studebakers in particular? Is this a pretty good guide for pricing a car for sale? I realize there are variables, but am looking for a starting point if wanting to sell (or buy).

Originally posted by Washtubman View Post
    I am wondering what the thought is on NADA values for classic/collector cars; and Studebakers in particular? Is this a pretty good guide for pricing a car for sale? I realize there are variables, but am looking for a starting point if wanting to sell (or buy).
    NADA guides are worthless as teats on a mule!

The prices are averaged out from vehicle asking prices found in newspaper ads, Hemmings, ebay and etc.

The prices are not based on what the vehicles actually sold for!
    Last edited by WinM1895; 03-13-2014, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Watch the classifieds it TW if you want to gauge Stude prices. Knowledgeable sellers making offers to knowledgeable buyers.
      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

I think EBay is one of the best measures of typical vehicle worth. Look at actual sale price, and make sure you are doing an apples to apples comparison. For classic cars, some of the auctions can reflect value, but again make sure of what you are comparing. Very unique, desirable or exceptional cars should not be considered average prices. For typical "nice, driver cars" I think the Wednesday and Thursday of a Mecum auction represent average values. I have seen what I consider bargains or "well bought" sales on those days.
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

JDP used to be a Studebaker value consultant for NADA.

As I recall, he did use actual sale prices to establish values.

John, what say?
          sigpic
          Dave Lester

Comment

This is from NADA frequently asked questions page:

I have noticed some significant price differences between Kelley Blue book and NADAguides. The NADAguides values seem to be consistently lower. Why are they different?

We cannot speak on behalf of other guide valuation companies; however, our editors review over one million sales transactions per month to help support our valuation numbers. These transactions come from many sources and depict actual sales both retail and wholesale. Because of how our values are created and the volume of data we review, NADAguides Values are used across all segments including consumers, dealers, lenders, government tax authorities and insurance companies. All values are only a guide and prices will always be above or below the guide values for vehicles. The overall condition, mileage, history and local supply and demand contribute to the asking price of each vehicle.

Comment

so they compile monthly and modify values ??? So someone sells a nice Wagonaire on eBay for $XXX, and someone sells a very similar one through TW's for $YYYY. How does NADA or anyone else factor these simple 2 sales significantly........Do they chase TW's to see which cars listed sell ??? With truthful answers ?? Most difficult to say the least. About a year ago a very nice 50's Stude pickup went for $53K at auction.....Has any sold for near that in the last year ? Is the value of those trucks now $50K ? Simply too much info to clearly state value.....

Comment

Originally posted by Studedude View Post
                JDP used to be a Studebaker value consultant for NADA.

As I recall, he did use actual sale prices to establish values.

John, what say?
                I still am, but only one of many. I can have some influence on value when I see a obvious error like seeing a more popular year at a lower value than a less popular one, but the market is volatile. i.e. my Sid R2 GT is still off the chart for a sale price of 35K and it changed hands again, but that does not mean GT's are worth 50K in general. IMHO, the current NADA 24K value for a "nice" 64 R2 GT is close, but trailer queens will go higher. I've been trying to get NADA to increase the 20% bonus for R2's, but no luck so far.
                JDP Maryland

Comment

Does NADA publish old car values on line or do you need to subscribe?

Comment

Try VMR

Originally posted by nels View Post
                    Does NADA publish old car values on line or do you need to subscribe?
                    I think VMR collector car pricing is more real world.

Here ya go:

Collector Car Market Review - The first choice for collector car, sports car, and muscle car pricing.

Comment

I've always used this one:

RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

While doing the adjuster thing, I have found that late model cars over the last 20 years are far more accurate using NADA. These are also what most insurance companies use. As for vintage cars, I've always used Old Cars Value Guide.
                        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

IMO, the Old Cars Weekly value guide has historically had many prewar cars undervalued, mainly the orphan makes. Otherwise, I like it.

Comment

Working...
                          X