Ethical hobbyists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethical hobbyists

I really became active in buying parts a few years ago when I acquired a Model T Ford. With some concern I would send money to an individual of whom I had no knowledge other than that he advertised some item I needed. After literally scores of such purchases I developed a great degree of faith in the honesty and integrity of old car guys since not once was an item misrepresented or did it fail to be delivered in a timely manner. Often it had apparently been shipped before my payment could have been received. One Mr. Becker sent an alternator instructing me to pay him if I were satisfied or send it back! Now I've sent money to a fellow up in Washington in payment for a Speedster roof band and after 60 days I haven't received the band and I get no response to my e mail. I think I am as much disappointed in having my balloon deflated about the good people in the hobby as I am angry about losing the money and Hey, who knows, he may yet come through. I am grateful to the many who have been honest and helpful and want to encourage any of you selling parts to do your best to keep your word in all that you do. My cars are my escape from the aggravation and frustration of dealing with the public in a retail environment and, for all of us, it should be a positive experience. More smiles per mile!!

Would you drop a name so the rest of us could avoid this person?

Comment

The seller may still come through. I have had many good transactions with Studebaker vendors and some like you mentioned where parts were shipped before payment. Many people who are selling these parts are doing it on the side and life gets in the way. I guess you have contacted him again? He may have lost your contact information or the package could have been lost and needs to be traced. I hope you get your part as advertised.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by decappastubbie View Post
        Would you drop a name so the rest of us could avoid this person?
        I hope not until the circumstances are known and confirmed. Our hobby is full of aging folks who are often dealing with health problems. In addition, for many of us, it is a "hobby." Some of us are much better at it than others. I know of a couple of instances where some hobbyist allowed their lives to derail and let a lot of folks down. That is truly sad. However, I also know of some who, through no fault of their own, became ill and had no knowledgeable support to follow up on pending business.

I hope that plum55 can get some confirmed information and then inform us. That would be the right thing to do. If anyone on the forum knows (or thinks he knows) the "person up in Washington"...then how 'bout private messaging plum55 and see if you can help resolve this. That would be the ethical thing to do.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I think you are correct in that most folks we deal with, at least in the Studebaker world, are good honest people. That said in any group there is always the proverbial rotten egg. It is always a great disappointment when those rotten eggs show up in our own lives. Hang in there and keep enjoying those classics.
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Post deleted by sender
            Last edited by kmul221; 03-15-2014, 07:37 AM.

Comment

You should have no real problem as most of the people in Washington are part of the forum and should come through, but keep in mind the part you ordered might be part of the problem and he or she might not have quoted the right price on shipping and I myself would never sell a roof band and try to ship it really more problem than I would want to deal with as a vender, I have a few and have only sold if I was delivering or some one was picking it up, I was in Louisiana in Jan. and could have brought one with me but that is hind sight. PM me if you want some help with this person I might know him....Bob
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Glad you have had so much success up to now, I share the same experience. I think it is a good idea when dealing across the miles to have as many means of communication as possible. I suggest making a point to have phone numbers and physical addresses in addition to email address. Sometimes computers break, email accounts change or get messed up or somehow the person loses access. Good luck getting your part.
                Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA
                Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

John, if it was advertised in Turning Wheels and you are an SDC member, you may be able to get some recourse through the club...or at least satisfaction that he will be denied advertising privileges until the matter is resolved.

Check it out in any issue. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Another possibility arises when the seller has the desired part ...but it is still attached to a vehicle. Then many things can, and often do go wrong. Inclement weather, time available, physical inability, or the part becomes irreparably damaged due to unanticipated difficulties in removal, can cause long delays, or an inability to complete the transaction satisfactorily. Have encountered this several times over decades in the old car hobby.
                    I have a load of Studebaker parts and parts cars, but am very careful as to what I offer for sale to would-be out of state purchasers.
                    Last edited by Jessie J.; 03-13-2014, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the offers of help etc. My last contact was a month ago and he indicated having difficulty with packaging. I offered more money to cover additional expense and about a week ago asked for the band or a refund------nothing yet. I'm not interested in naming this person. Hopefully there is a good reason for his not coming through. I guess I posted as a means of venting my frustration and disappointment. I appreciate the feedback and concern!

Comment

I sent a guy here on the forum a radio delete plate and only wanted the postage. Never heard or seen him post after that.

Comment

Communication solves most problems. Ask for and verify a working telephone number before sending any money.

OT, but an example of weird stuff which can go wrong shipping parts. Yesterday, I got a telephone call from a Packard V8 guy asking when he could expect to receive his oil pump conversion kit. Checking my records, I confirmed I had shipped it Priority Mail more than three weeks ago. Turns out, he is a snowbird and down the body of the letter, asked me to ship it to his son's home next door. Making out the USPS label, I just copied the address off his check and sent it to his home address which has forwarded mail but not packages. His kit has been bouncing around between Albany, NY and Springfield, MA post offices three times now. I gave him the tracking number and maybe he can snag the package.

Bottom line, he had my phone number so we could straighten out his problem without him getting disappointed or disillusioned. In fact, for any special requests, make them in writing and verbally on the phone. We senior parts guys are short-term memory challenged.

jack vines
                          PackardV8

Comment

Most disappointing purchase I ever had was for a NOS rear-quarter stainless trim strip. Was shipped wrapped in a strip of cardboard. ...which the Postal Service folded over twice.
                            Seller was a bit peeved when notified, and seemed to think I was attempting to rip him off, but did replace it with an identical NOS part. (still have the folded and mutilated one)
                            Now whenever I order such a fragile part I am careful to advise the seller to reinforce the package with a strip of wood or if possible, ship it in a PCV pipe. I'm more than happy to cover the additional cost rather than see such hard to come by parts needlessly destroyed.

Comment

Working...
                            X