Cool RPM/Gearing/Tire Size/Speed Calculator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool RPM/Gearing/Tire Size/Speed Calculator

I bought the Teleflex 82288P tach as a "close enough to stock" replacement in my 59 Hawk.

I recently got my tach up and running, and I found that I run 1800-1850 at 40 mph. My car has a different rear end than it had out of the factory, so I was curious what my rear end ratio might be to give me that RPM.

I haven't found the tag on my diff, so I thought I might be able to calculate the rear end ratio.

Since I knew my tire OD was 27.1" and I seemed to remember that my FOM ratio in 3rd gear is 1.0:1 (correct me if I'm wrong), I figured that there had to be a formula that would tell me the unknown quantity x that was my rear end ratio.

A Google search led me to this cool site:http://www.angelfire.com/fl/procrastination/rear.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	MPH Calculator from RPM and Gearing.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	1742770

This would seem to be a great tool because it instantly answers not only "What effect would xxx rear end make?", but also things like "What effect would xxx overdrive transmission make?" and "What effect would tires of xxxxx OD make?"

What rpm is your car turning at 60 mph? Also, what size tires are you running?

Comment

That would be a P205X75R15.

RANDYS Worldwide is the leading supplier in the United States for differential gears, axles, installation kits, small parts, tools, lockers, limited slips, drivelines, and more.

You would have to have a 3.73 to 1 Axle Ratio in your Automatic to run 1800 RPM at 40, and 2849 RPM at 60 MPH.
      Was this a Drag Race Car? a Trailer toter or a stump puller?
      Last edited by StudeRich; 03-11-2014, 03:49 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Chucks Stude View Post
        What rpm is your car turning at 60 mph? Also, what size tires are you running?

I have P205/75R15 tires which have an O.D. of 27.1"

Speed limit in my neighborhood is only 40, so I won't know the RPM at 60 mph for sure till I take a longer trip

Since I'm in top gear at 40 mph, I would assume it would be 1.5 times my RPM at 40 - am I wrong in that assumption?

Comment

Yes you are wrong, see post # 3.
          StudeRich
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich, I will bow to your superior knowledge in general!

But if I'm wrong to say "Since I'm in top gear at 40 mph, I would assume it would be 1.5 times my RPM at 40" then I must be missing something on this ...

- isn't 1.5 times my 1800 RPM at 40 the same 2849 RPM at 60 MPHthat you listed?

Comment

1.5 times 1800 = 2700. At least that's what my math skills, and my calculator tell me.

What am I missing here?
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                1.5 times 1800 = 2700. At least that's what my math skills, and my calculator tell me.

What am I missing here?
                I was doing 1.5 times 1850 or so and rounding in my head, so Rich's number seemed close. Now that I hit the calculator, I see that 2775 is the correct answer.

So Rich, are you telling us that the RPM change from 40 to 60 mph is not linear?

Comment

Hmmm, with my hand-held Autolite ratio computer, it shows about a 4:30 gear. Can that be right ? It shows gear ratios, tire diameter, speed in mph, and rpm, so I just rolled it to your numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by j.byrd View Post
                    Hmmm, with my hand-held Autolite ratio computer, it shows about a 4:30 gear. Can that be right ? It shows gear ratios, tire diameter, speed in mph, and rpm, so I just rolled it to your numbers.
                    4.3 seems high. The website I listed (http://www.angelfire.com/fl/procrastination/rear.html) says that I have like a 3.55 or 3.7.

My engine and tranny and rear end came from a 1964 Cruiser. I assume that those ratios were options for a 1964 Cruiser?

But then I guess my speedo could be wrong - which would throw all the calculations off. I'll check that with a GPS.

And while I doubt it, I guess that my tach could be out of calibration. It shows my idle speed at 5-600 RPM, which I think is correct, so the tach seems right
                    Last edited by pbrown; 03-11-2014, 07:24 PM.

Comment

j.Byrd and pbrown, please refer back again to Post #3.
                      Your correct Tire Size, Speed, Trans. Type and Axle Ratio are all there, per the Linked Calculator.

OK, my number is 1899 for 40 MPH vs 2849 for 60, so that little bit could be what is making you think it is not linear maybe? Whatever.
                      It is what the Calc says it is, I think.

One thing you have to do in addition to CORRECT Trans. Type is use actual Studebaker Axle Ratios: 3.07, 3.31, 3.54, 3.73, 4.09, 4.27 or 4.54
                      Last edited by StudeRich; 03-11-2014, 08:55 PM.
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You can use tire diameter in your calculations if your tires are made of steel (or wood). The rolling diameter of a 27.1" rubber tire is not 27.1". That is why manufacturers provide revs per mile ratings for their tires based on proper new tread depth and specified inflation pressures. The sidewall flex of radials is much greater than that of bias ply tires. Redo your calculations with the revs/mile for your tire and a GPS reading of your speed for speedometer correction.

Comment

Originally posted by WCP View Post
                          You can use tire diameter in your calculations if your tires are made of steel (or wood). The rolling diameter of a 27.1" rubber tire is not 27.1". That is why manufacturers provide revs per mile ratings for their tires based on proper new tread depth and specified inflation pressures. The sidewall flex of radials is much greater than that of bias ply tires. Redo your calculations with the revs/mile for your tire and a GPS reading of your speed for speedometer correction.
                          That is an excellent point! It didn't occur to me that rolling diameter would be different from OD.

You've got me thinking tho'...

Since I'm working backwards to get to choice between a predefined set of values (the available diff ratios) hopefully the difference would not skew things enough to move to the next available ratio.

But then again, my visual readings of my analog tach are so coarse that its error are probably enough to bury the difference between OD and actual rolling diameter.

The unknown in all this is the speedometer error. I'll look into that ASAP.

Revolutions Per Mile

Comment

Curious...

Question #1
                            Is this 27.1" diameter loaded or unloaded (running pressure?) ?
                            If it is unloaded, your figures are off.

Question #2
                            Where did the top of the tire measurement location come from ? Tire crown, the corner of the tread ?

Just wondering...

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                              If it is unloaded, your figures are off.
                              Agreed!

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                              Where did the top of the tire measurement location come from ?
                              Published manufacturer figures. Unfortunately, they don't publish the revs per mile

Comment

Working...
                              X