• Show
Clear All

• Nitro powered Studebaker

Click image for larger version

Name:	nitro car.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	1742768

Wonder if this story has a happy ending?
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Darn. You fooled me.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Well, one hopes that it was never actually Nitro powered. :-)
      Pat Dilling
      Olivehurst, CA
      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

He could definitely turn one small chuck hole into one large chuck hole in an instant. Bet he got no tailgaters either.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Someone needed a job worse than i would.
          101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]33102[/ATTACH]

Wonder if this story has a happy ending?
            I don't know if this man, this or this company was involved, but I remember when I was a kid (mid 1940s), a truck carrying nitroglycerin disappeared leaving a large hole in US 169 a few miles south of Chanute, Kansas.
            This url is to the report of a large nitro explosion in that era- http://collinhinds.blogspot.com/2012...ark-tulsa.html
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Very interesting! Thanks for the follow-up. As noted my article is from a 1913 issue of the Studebaker News. The big explosion mentioned in the article was in 1904 so the driver of the Studebaker in the photo would certainly have been familiar with the big blast mentioned in the article that created the lake (and I am sure it added to his apprehension). I have no idea whether the Mr Sanderson lived to a ripe old age and died a peaceful death or checked out in a more spectacular fashion. Would be interesting to know.
              Richard Quinn
              Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Working...
              X