Opting out - NOW WITH PHOTOS!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opting out - NOW WITH PHOTOS!!!

I've not sent in my dues this year - intentionally. I'm out. It's not fun anymore - it hasn't been "fun" for at least a few years, in truth. Nothing to do with SDC or any of the polished egos that persevere here. It's just that after 40 years (about 8 of which SDC has steadfastly refused to acknowledge - in spite of my name in the rosters of those years), there's not much thrill and intrigue left to this pursuit. No sour grapes (in spite of the aforementioned deliberate oversight), no nuthin'. I just wanna do different things with whatever time fate affords me. I've had a great time, I've done things - Studebaker - that afforded me great satisfaction which would've left the average Joe scratching their heads over. I've never had any sort of a "bucket list", and still don't.
    When I first got into cars, I had prior fascination with model airplanes - I even have a patent for a toy airplane that I developed in the 70s - never made any money from it, but it was satisfying nonetheless to develop something that combined my artistic talents with my fascination of things that fly. I've always found it satisfying to take a bunch of sticks and tissue and fashion it into something that would take wing - tho I haven't pursued that aim since the late 80s, and now it's beckoning me again.
    There are other factors too. Among them is the fact that my wife's gonna retire in June and I want to spend more time focusing on things that I can do to assist her interests (gardening primarily - and we do it BIG time here). Another factor is the cost of gasoline. When it was two bucks a gallon, that was fine. 'cause honestly - I wasn't gonna own a bunch of Sunday show 'n shine curios. If I couldn't DRIVE them as they were meant to be - I didn't want them. I've said that for longer than I can remember. Remember: "We'd rather fix than switch!"? I took that motto to HEART - however crazy that sounds now. Regular is hovering at $3.50 here now. Sadly, our incomes have not matched that price growth in the past 20 years. Somewhere since '02, it's ceased to be fun when I had to think about what a day's casual cruising might cost. We're not one of the one percent. And I can buy a LOT of model airplane satisfaction for the price of a tank of regular.
    For now, I hope to keep Pete (our 3E Transtar) and one other Stude car (I'm aiming for the '58 Provincial), but so much other stuff is gonna go. Don't get excited about my C-K stuff 'cause there ain't none. Not anything, that is, but this and that for those body styles. What I suspect is there's gonna be a couple ofr loads of stuff that'll end up on our local scrap yard scales.
    Anyway, there ya have it. We (Ken Pyle and I) are trying to get this 64 R1 Hawk ready for ebay. It's gonna be there eventually. Beyond that - who knows. Like ol' "what-should-I-be-a-member-for?" Sal - I'll hang out here now and then. But my days with SDC are closing down.
    Last edited by Roscomacaw; 05-04-2014, 12:45 PM.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Very sorry to hear that Bob, this is a bit of a shock to me, because it is one thing to decide that the Forum is not where you want to spend your time, but SDC and Studebakers too?

That's a real shocker alright! After being so involved for so many years, it is hard to believe you would sell the '60 Convertible and the '57 Pres. 2 door Sedan and just "go away".
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The truth is every thing runs it's course,and here You are - I will simply wish You WELL
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I'm glad I know you, Bob. (and not just for the pomelos )

I'm also happy you are keeping the Provincial. It is one of my favorite Studes of all time.

When Lisa retires, come on up for a visit. It's your turn.
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I only know you through the forum (I think) but I know I'll miss you and that others have the same feeling. This said, you have to go with your heart.

If, after a bit of a time out you get the itch again, you'll always be welcome in Studedom.

Take care and look for that fun.
          Dave Nevin
          Corvallis, OR
          1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
          Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Sometimes too, it's relaxing to just be peripheral.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Sorry to hear that, Bob. I will always treasure you as a friend. Don't be a stranger; pop in here from time to time, and keep us posted on your exploits. People do care about you, you know.
              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Bob, you were one of the first guys to reach out and help me when I first came into the club. Barney probably wouldn't be running so nice right now if it wasn't for you. You and Pete hold a fond place in my heart, and I'm going to miss you around here.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Quite probably member number 2, 3, 4 or 5 of the forum back when it started in 2005. Member number 2, 3, 4 or 5 of the left coast chapter when it started in the last century?
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Sometimes you just need a break from things. We can get so completely absorbed by our hobbies that we can forget about other priorities in life.

Chris.

Comment

Bob you have to do what you want to really do, so good luck to you and what ever, hope to see you around now and then at something, your friend Bob (candbstudebakers)
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

See ya Biggs.
                        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                        Romans 15:13
                        Deuteronomy 31:6
                        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Wish you well kind sir!

Comment

I don't know you personally, have only had dealings with you through the forum and through the mail.
                            I found you to be honest in your dealings and a great value to the forum, helpful and knowledgeable.
                            I joined the forum when "BIGGS" was still around.
                            I wish you well and thank you.
                            South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

God speed Roscow.......just for a chew: I recently dropped out of another hobby that brought loads of fun for me.... on a regular basis. As my interest dwindled, I began to think about being sure not to burn any bridges while heading for the exit. I expect to return to that hobby fun sometime in the future...... GL

Comment

Working...
                              X