Some Conestoga Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Conestoga Progress

I finally got back to work on my Conestoga after a break to change spindles on my red car and take a couple trips. This project was repairing the rusted front passenger side body corner. Here are a few pictures taken during the process. More details can be scene following the link in my signature. I will preface by saying that I had never done anything like this before, so feeling my way along with advice from more knowledgeable folks. I am developing my welding skills too and usually weld for 5 minutes then grind for 10. I am confident in the structural integrity of my repair, but also glad it will be hidden when I am done, LOL.

Here is the rust damage as found

First I cut away the rusted metal

I then formed a curved piece to match the contour of the outer edge and welded it in place, then cut and bent a piece to fill the flat portion.

Here is the repair, close to finished. After welding the curved piece in place, I then spot welded the bent portion and stitch welded the inside corner along the curve and the top and bottom edges. Then I cut the excess curved pice off with a cutoff wheel and used a grinder to remove the remaining excess metal.

And finally painted with self etching primer. It will eventually get painted when I do the firewall and door jams.

Next project is the drivers side floor.
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Neat!
    Only thing I can come to think opf is that big over-laps was because the factoryworkers were in a hurry so if you only use as much as you need for the weld there'll be les room for future rust.
    At the moment I'm doing the rear corner inside the fender on my wifes daily driver -70 Citroen DSuper & even thou I've got NOS stuff I cut away quite some...
    For the rest I think it couldn't look much better what you're doing!

Comment

Glad you are making progress. I would like to finish my wagon. I am going to Hospital Thursday for surgery and they said it would be 5 weeks before I could do any thing. We will see. I will go nuts in 5 weeks with nothing to do.
      Last edited by Carl Purdy; 03-10-2014, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ST2DE5 View Post
        Glad you are making progress. I would like to finish my wagon. I am going to Hospital Thursday for surgery and they said it would be 5 weeks before I could do ant thing. We will see. I will go nuts in 5 weeks with nothing to do.
        Don't feel bad, I had emergency surgery Sept 18th for a burst small bowel.
        Just going off disability March 19th. Talk about going steer crazy!
        sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
        Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
        "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Looking good! These are the parts I'm not looking forward to when I work on my commander...

Comment

As always, Pat, nice work!!
            sigpic
            Dave Lester

Comment

Pat, I'm very impressed with the welding, seriously! Also, the lift is great.
              Perry
              \'50 Business Champion
              \'50 Starlight Champion
              \'60 Lark Convertible,
              \'63 GT R1,
              \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

'Lookin' good, Pat; 'glad to see the progress. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Hope you folks that are ailing are able to heal well and quickly. Cruisin' season is right around the corner, get well soon. Thanks all for the kind words.
                  Pat Dilling
                  Olivehurst, CA
                  Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Good to see you back on the project.
                    61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

This is father inspirational, as I plan to tackle some floor pans next week. Keep up the good work its been fun to watch!

Comment

Working...
                      X