looking for trans cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: looking for trans cooler

Looking for a oil cooler for my flight-0-matic auto trans. This was a factory 259 with auto. My tranny cooler has been leaking on it's seam. I have been loosing water and been trying to figure out where it has been going. I tried to fix leak by using JB Weld but it did not hold. This cooler is flat and attaches beside the trans. Anyone have a spare they can do without? This is on a '57 Transtar with 259 and factory auto trans.

Found the part # 1686093. Has anyone tried to weld or braise one of these? Might be the way to go here.
    Last edited by doublepaddle; 03-10-2014, 01:56 PM.

This is what it looks like (a little big)

Comment

I've never seen one of them.... didn't even know they were available..... R U sure they're a Studebaker product?
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Trans coolers are available from any auto parts store, there are myriad different sizes. These have fins, mount at the front of the radiator, are far more efficient than the factory types.

Comment

An Air to Oil cooler would be much safer for the Trans. than one with Water in it, and you are not going to find a replacement for that rare 1686093 option anywhere unless S.I. still has some left in South Bend.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If you mount the cooler in front of the radiator it will serve to induce/conduct heat to the radiator possibly causing engine overheating under certain circumstances. I've been there. Mount you Auto Zone cooler xactly where yours is now. I once had a 64 Cadu that had a power steering fluid fin type cooler mounted by the factory on the fender apron. cheers jimmijim
            Originally posted by WinM1895 View Post
            Trans coolers are available from any auto parts store, there are myriad different sizes. These have fins, mount at the front of the radiator, are far more efficient than the factory types.
            Last edited by jimmijim8; 03-13-2014, 05:12 AM.
            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Cannot put a cooler in front of the radiator as I have a A/C condenser in front of it now. I also have fog lights and blinker lights in between the slots of my grill piece. If I was to do with an air cooled model I would have to do something with the input/output water lines.

Comment

Part number came from the parts book for this model. What is everyone using for their auto trans?

Comment

Maybe plug-em

123423456wertydfgxcvbn
                  Originally posted by doublepaddle View Post
                  Cannot put a cooler in front of the radiator as I have a A/C condenser in front of it now. I also have fog lights and blinker lights in between the slots of my grill piece. If I was to do with an air cooled model I would have to do something with the input/output water lines.
                  sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Originally posted by doublepaddle View Post
                    Part number came from the parts book for this model. What is everyone using for their auto trans?
                    I think you could just about count the Automatic Trucks left in the U.S. that run, on two hands!
                    I have to wonder if the Parts Catalog shows that Cooler as Standard equipment or as an Accessory?
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The purpose of having the heat exchanger water-to-oil for a trans cooler is to maintain the right operating temperature of the trans. If you run just an oil to air cooler it may never reach the correct operating temperature and always be cold. You might consider taking your radiator into a shop and have a heat exchanger put in the bottom tank.

Comment

What's the temp

What might be the proper operating temperature of a transmissions/ fluid.?[My Hawk and 55 Pres are air cooled without a finned flow thru heat exhanger/ cooler for the fluid

QUOTE=brian6373;829806]The purpose of having the heat exchanger water-to-oil for a trans cooler is to maintain the right operating temperature of the trans. If you run just an oil to air cooler it may never reach the correct operating temperature and always be cold. You might consider taking your radiator into a shop and have a heat exchanger put in the bottom tank.[/QUOTE]
                        Last edited by jimmijim8; 03-14-2014, 03:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                          And you are not going to find a replacement for that rare 1686093 option anywhere unless S.I. still has some left in South Bend.
                          Two similar coolers were used on 1953/56 F100/350's with Ford-O-Matic, which like the Flightomatic, is a Borg-Warner trans.

So, I wouldn't be surprised if PAD-7870-A or B6D-7870-A is the same as Studebaker 1686093

I searched for both these FoMoCo coolers: No Ford dealer or obsolete parts vendor has any NOS / AFAIK, not reproduced.
                          Last edited by WinM1895; 03-14-2014, 10:10 AM.

Comment

I had a NOS one of those coolers that I got from a dealer inventory. I may still have it - have to do some looking in my really obscure parts inventory.

Comment

Well after 2 days calling every vender I could I was about to give up. At 4:30 today MY last chance was Myers Studebaker. He thought he had one that has been on the shelf for 20 plus years. He is recovering from hip surgery ( been there gone that twice) and would send his wife to go look. They call me back and have a NOS one he acquired from an old Stude dealer. It did not have a tag on it and since he did not know what it went to he had just put it in the shelf Done deal!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X