Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Accuracy of Studebaker Production order?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accuracy of Studebaker Production order?

Has anyone had any problems with information on Studebaker car production order information-Final assembly line?
    (line setting file copy)
    The reason I ask is I purchased one in years past from Newman & Altman Inc. for my 54 15G K5 after providing the body serial #.The information for the engine number only has 6 digits and does not match my engine #.Everthing else looks correct(body number,colors, options etc.)My Studebaker chassis manual shows a 7 digit # in the range that my engine in the car is numbered.-which I believe is the original engine.How was the information recorded and then passed on to customers that purchased this information from Newman Altman or the Studebaker National museum?I'd buy a new one if I knew it was correct but don't want another incorrect one.I'm guessing that it was mis-typed or human error?Does this make any sense as to my dilemma description?
    If it was close I would guess that the engine had been changed,but this is a factory engine number that is roughly one million digits too low on a factory document or information?

Newman and Altman retyped the data manually from the original copy, and sometimes not even using the same form. Typos happened. A friend's '65 Commander was shown as being assembled on 12/24/65. It would have been 12/24/64, for example.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Comment

The production order for my '54 Starliner Commander recently arrived. Ordering that was pretty much a waste of money, in my opinion. Most of the available spots on the sheet are blank. Most disappointing, it does not include any shipping, dealer, or destination information, and it does not mention most options or details. It confirms that Studebaker built the car in South Bend and the original color; I knew those things before paying nearly $50.

Comment

That makes more sense now. i just couldn't much sense of what i was seeing,but if it was retyped by someone I can see it happening.I just couldn't believe that Studebaker's records were that screwed up,especially engine serial numbers as some states used them for licensing.
        Does the Studebaker National museum have a better system or setup?

Comment

How does one go about finding shipping,dealer or destination information?Was your engine # correct?

Comment

I purchased my production order from Richard Quinn of our forum. Studebaker wheel
            Was very complete with engine number, color codes for trim and body, all options ordered, shipping and
            dealer info.
            Reach out to Richard and see what he says.
            sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
            Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
            "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Not sure about the engine number as the car now has a 259 block in it.

I had hoped to find out about the original shipping destination as that would give a starting point for the car's service history. When I bought it, the car came with a Florida title. Papers found in the trunk suggest that it may have come from central South Carolina before that. If it was a southern car from the beginning, that would explain its relatively rust free condition. But more information, such as delivery information, would be helpful.

57pack, thanks for the suggestion about Richard Quinn. That might be worth a try.

Comment

Newman & Altman generally did a better job of the 1959-66 production orders as these were copied directly from hard copies. The later orders also have some added documents covering dealer and shipping info.

Pre-1959 is on microfiche and I remember looking at the fine text and scatchy background wondering how anyone could accurately read it!

Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by stude dude View Post
                  Newman & Altman generally did a better job of the 1959-66 production orders as these were copied directly from hard copies.
                  It may have been a bit more legible, but while N&A were doing transcriptions of production orders, they did make a few errors. And many production orders often had handwritten notes added after, which was lost in a transcripted copy. I find I prefer a photocopy over one that was transcripted. As for destination, most I have seen have has some sort of destination on them:

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by northern View Post
                    The production order for my '54 Starliner Commander recently arrived. Ordering that was pretty much a waste of money, in my opinion. Most of the available spots on the sheet are blank. Most disappointing, it does not include any shipping, dealer, or destination information, and it does not mention most options or details. It confirms that Studebaker built the car in South Bend and the original color; I knew those things before paying nearly $50.
                    Same with my '53 production order.

Comment

For those who have problems with their orders, please contact Andy Beckman at the Studebaker National Museum through the link on the Forum web site.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Mine shows my '53 going to Redwood Falls, MONT..... no such town in Montana... However there is a Redwood Falls, Minnesota (25 miles from where I bought the car in 1963). I got that from NA and one time while there, they let me look at the original microfilm & it did indeed say MONT for the state.
                        So much for transposing outside of the factory.

Comment

I got a bld. sheet from SI /SNM. It gives the name of transprtr. to destination. Numbers were correct but not much info as to accessories. Come to find some access. were dealer installed. You did not mention what yr/mod you have. Sure someone out there could decipher #'s. I am curious as to who/where my 61' Hawk went from dealer in Berwyn IL, Schroeder Motors?

Comment

Originally posted by northern View Post
                            Many cars were built for Studebaker Corp. stock and shipped to a storage lot. The build sheet would not include any shipping, dealer or destination information in those cases. Build sheets for cars already sold to a customer or ordered for dealer stock would have more information.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                            X