No announcement yet.

Later model powershift on a 55 259?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Later model powershift on a 55 259?

Has anybody replaced a DG automatic with a powershift? I have that option open to me. The DG is column shift PNDLR, while the Powershift was console shift PRND1. If I can make the Powershift work with column shift, I can replace the plastic insert on the column. I have a one piece drive shaft from a T10 I could use. The Powershift comes with bell housing and torque converter. I'm hoping to get some more power out of the 259 and install 3:73 gears TT. Better brakes, too!
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Cant see why not. Jeep in the 60's even had a shift quadrant whose bezel was the same as Studebaker used & had the prndl type shift pattern. I've tried to find out to see if any of the Jeep people made a repop of that lens but so far have come up empty. A great candidate for one of those 3-D printer machines!
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thank you, Warren. Car is still under snow and I'm itching to make it go faster (lol). Lots of Jeeps in bone yards up here. I'll have to keep an eye out!

Comment

You might check with Chuck Collins at Studebaker parts.com. They have done repops of clear plastic lenses for dashboard gauges, and have this: 801216 SHIFT INDICATOR DIAL INSERT
        REPRODUCTION SHIFTER DIAL ONLY
        MAYBE you could have them shift the letters around and make one for your application?
        sigpic
        JohnP, driving & reviving
        60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

If that is also the one that Stude Int'l sells, I have it. I could re-arrange a few letters. Still wondering about a few side issues for this swap: Would my 6V starter from a 55 Automatic fit with a Powershift bellhousing? Will I have hump clearance issues with the one piece drive shaft, and how have people addressed that? Thanks for the help.

Comment

I'm hoping you are not expecting more power from a "Power Shift" transmission..

The internals are quite similar between PNDLR and PRND21 as is the 1-2-3 ratios. Power Shifts still start in 2nd gear when in 'D'.
            Nice about them is the ability to start in 1st by selection and then moving up the "Column."

If you are looking for better ratios and such, and are spending time and money on this swap, think about a 200r4 swap.

The swap will give you good rabbit starts and HW cruise if you go with 3:73s.

A 200r4 running wit 4:11 will give you a great rabbit start and will net you about the same engine speed at 75mph as your stock gears with the Borg.

Also you will be dropping +20Lb off your car with the 200r4 between loosing the cast iron the bell housing and the Borg..

Comment

No, but I want to put more power into it )) The Powershift is still all Stude. I didn't think the 200r4 was factory Stude, but I've been wrong before. Trying to keep it Studebaker or the same manufacturer as Stude used to comply with the rules. Thanks for the suggestion. The Dana 3:73 will be OK. I believe a cam, lifters and better valve springs can be swapped in as long as they're aren't rollers. Gonna drill some baffle holes inside my aircleaner and try to get some cold air in there, as well. ...maybe an ice cube holder

Comment

Dave, You are going way beyond the rules if you install a powershift, as they were not available in 1955. Stick with the Detroit Gear transmission if you want to continue to race the car at that event.

Allen
                1964 GT Hawk
                PSMCDR 2014
                Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                PSMCDR 2013
                Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
                  I believe a cam, lifters and better valve springs can be swapped in as long as they're aren't rollers.
                  You've officially gone past the point of no return on the slippery slope of Racing Studebakers.

FWIW, if one were to install, say an R1 cam and springs (lifters are all the same, so you could just have yours refinished), in a 259", the additional duration will make it slower off the line and up to 3500 RPMs. Recommend milling the head and block/thin headgasket to raise the compression to at least 9.5.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

Thank you, Allen. I am receiving competing info from another PSMCDR participant. I need some input, here. And thank you, Jack. I knew a taller cam would make a smaller engined car slower off the line..but was hoping the 3:73 compared to the 3:31 rear gears would offset that and I might squeeze some more power out of the 259. And higher compression ratio would be necessary to get any advantage out of a better cam,too. Don't want any advantage that others don't have, but I've heard what sounds like a radical cam in some supposedly stock cars at the races. I'd like to go as far as I can and still be legal.

Comment

Dave also keep in mind if you change your transmission to either of the ones talked about then you would need a cooling line set up for them either in the radiator or one of it's own both would show and not be stock.
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

Thanks, Bob. Lots of encouragement, but I want to stay with the rules. I'll upgrade to the DG250 for the DG200, go with 3:73 gears and a 6V tach...and lots of practice runs. Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                        X