Studebaker tailgate bench build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker tailgate bench build

I have been working on building a Studebaker tailgate bench. It is going to be a present for my girlfriend when I propose.

I know some people may not be happy that the gate was welded in or that I used a nice studebaker tailgate but it is something I will have for the rest of my life so i wanted to make it sturdy so it will last.

Below are a few pictures of the progress.. I also plan to fill in the divided sections on the sitting area with wood. It will all sit flush. I have alot of finish work to do but it's a good start. I have about 7 hours into it so far and I'm sure alot more to come as I'm learning as I go.

I think it rocks...and that only took you 7 hrs...would have taken me 7 days. cool! junior
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I think I have seen that tail gate before.
      Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

What's the seat bottom going to be, a truck seat? Looks good but might be a little heavy to move around.
        sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Maybe some Lark bumper ends for arm rest. And a Studebaker color you like for paint.
          101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Cool. How about another STUDEBAKER on the flip side?

Comment

Good Work.....Looks Great.
              Jack White
              Charlotte,NC
              North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

Thanks for the replys everyone..

Thanks again Bob. The tailgate is perfect and just what I had been searching for. I really like it and I think the girlfriend will too!

The metal is pretty thick and the bench is turning out to be pretty heavy but it's not too bad for 2 people to move around. It definitely shouldn't break!

As for the seat area I plan to do wood slats in the 3 open spaces so it sits flush with the metal cross sections. Then I was debating making a small leather cushion to set on it incase it's to hard for some to sit on..

I plan to paint the bench a black rustoleum so it survives outside, and I'm debating a studebaker green, or avanti turquoise If I can find something close to match for the tailgate. Then I will outline the letters in white.

Comment

63avanti,

The Chrysler engine green looks very close to the Studebaker turquoise. I used it on my engine. Only a Studebaker person might see the difference upon close inspection.
                  1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Great use of a tailgate. If I tried to put that in my domicile, Judy would give me "The Look" and tell me where to put it. It would end up in the pole barn anyhow.

Looks like you made an excellent choice on the bench and girlfriend. Nicely done.

Bob

Comment

THAT IS FREAKING AWSOME! Can I copy your idea for one of my own??

Comment

Originally posted by AKAchamptrucking View Post
                        THAT IS FREAKING AWSOME! Can I copy your idea for one of my own??
                        Thanks! And definitely. Go for it! I'm just glad people are liking it. Should make for great conversation pieces as well.

Comment

Nice project, my wife has been after me for years to make a bench out of a tailgate (I have two extras). I needed to see one complete... Thanks for showing the pictures of yours!!!
                          sigpic
                          Jim

Comment

Now all you need is a table made out of an engine to go with it.

Comment

You might want to slant the rear legs backwards just a bit to increase the foot print. The way they are now, if you lean back in the seat, it and you might fall over backwards.
                              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                              X