Lark 454 Project Back to work Change to Front Steer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lark 454 Project Back to work Change to Front Steer

Building a R3Lark for my son James White to drive.
    Jack White
    Charlotte,NC
    North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

What is that kit designed for? Unless your changing the front suspension those steering arms shown wouldn't work. You may be able to use the Stude suspension in a front steer setup by switching the knuckles from one side to another. I've never tried it but it may work.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

74 Nova front clip...

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
      What is that kit designed for? Unless your changing the front suspension those steering arms shown wouldn't work. You may be able to use the Stude suspension in a front steer setup by switching the knuckles from one side to another. I've never tried it but it may work.
      Jack White
      Charlotte,NC

Comment

Looks like you have a '69 or earlier Camaro or a '74 or earlier Nova front suspension. Is that what the front steer steering components designed for?
        Y'all are gonna have a hell-of-a nice hot rod there. Can't wait to see the finished product. Can I ride in it?

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
        Jerry Forrester
        Forrester's Chrome
        Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Weird since the 1968-74 Nova and relatives had a rear steer design from GM. All Chevelles, etc. were front steer.
          --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
            Weird since the 1968-74 Nova and relatives had a rear steer design from GM. All Chevelles, etc. were front steer.
            i believe Jack is converting to front steer to gain clearance for the big block Chevy.
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
            Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Yes this kit changes the rear steer box to a rack front steer to give us more room for the big block and headers.

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
              Looks like you have a '69 or earlier Camaro or a '74 or earlier Nova front suspension. Is that what the front steer steering components designed for?
              Y'all are gonna have a hell-of-a nice hot rod there. Can't wait to see the finished product. Can I ride in it?
              Jack White
              Charlotte,NC

Comment

We have started -stopped on this project several times...........James is getting married. So the 454 project is second on his mind.
                Thanks for all the encouragement..............
                Jack White
                Charlotte,NC

Comment

Working...
                X