Looking for suggestions on starting and maintaining a registry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for suggestions on starting and maintaining a registry

I've been toying with the idea of starting and maintaining a couple of registries. One for 1950 Land Cruiser owners, and one for 1935 owners--all lines. The reasons are obvious if you look at my avatar and my signature photo. Any thoughts or suggestions about how to do this? I have a good amount of spare time these days, so that's not really an issue. Thanks.

Since the Land Cruisers were Commanders, how about including them. See MY avatar. I think this is a good idea since I find nothing like it on the SDC club website.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Have thought about the same thing myself (Champ pick-ups) and always think about the number of Studebaker people who do not involve themselves with the internet (or computers in general)...so to some degree it might involve a bit of paper and envelope type activity. There are so many resources on the web, it seems like it might be easy to find a form that could be adopted to use for people to simply type in the information and submit it. Good luck.

By the way - love your quote in your sig - need to put that one on my "to view" list.

Comment

If you PM me with your email address I will forward you a copy of the '66 Daytona registry that I keep.
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Maintaining a registry is fun. It's like collecting, you get to collect cars and see where the survivors fall amongst all that were made.
          I'm sure its most fun if you are dealing with a smaller sample set, with a high rate of survival. The 56 golden hawk registry is a perfect example of that. It's able to stay active and provides a gathering point for the owners of those cars.

In my case I wanted to do a build report online anyway, so while I was at it i advertised to find other 52 hardtops that might be out there. That was back in 98, before I had ever heard the word "blog". If I had time, I would still enjoy working on the registry today. But I don't, and barely can check in on the forum anymore. So the registry suffers. It's still online but stagnant.

If it's something you want to do and you have the time, you will enjoy it. You'll touch base with some cool people and spread the word about some cool cars.

Comment

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

2R5: PM sent.

If I do this, and I probably will, I was thinking of contacting all the chapter newsletter editors to include it in their newsletter and/or mention it at their meetings. Was also wondering if there was a way to get an announcement published in TW? And there's always word of mouth. This would be one or two ways to reach the non-computer group.

Yes, Commander Eddie, I could include all '50 Commanders since we share the same mechanical specs and a large number of body parts. And '50 Commanders are little more scarce than '50 Champions, which would make it more manageable to maintain. '50 Champions are a dime a dozen compared to Commanders, which is why we like them, right Commander Eddie? Before I get accused of bashing '50 Champions, I used to own a '50 Champion Custom 4 door. I just traded up. Another option would be to make it for all 47-52 Land Cruisers. But Dan makes a good point about dealing with a small sample set. I have to draw the line somewhere. The question is where should that line be drawn? Gotta think about that one for awhile. Maybe I can do '50 Land Cruisers and Commander Eddie can create a registry for all other '50 Commanders.

More thoughts and suggestions welcomed!

Comment

I wonder if SDC could create a spot on their web space to contain a registry for all studebakers where we could all go and update what we have?????? This way the registry's would all be in one spot and individuals would not get tired of maintaining them.
              Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
              1961 Hawk 4-speed
              1967 Avanti
              1961 Lark 2 door
              1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

You might want to look into a way of blocking the hackers. Mike Williams had a Packard Hawk registry but after 3 times being attcked by some good for nothing hackers he shut it down. Kinda sad that talented people have nothing better to do
                sigpic

Packardbakerly,
                J.D.

Comment

Would some knowledgeable webmaster ,who knows how to block these hackers
                  please republish the Packard Hawk website with Mike's approval?
                  If so I will contact Mike Williams.
                  There is so much valuable info there!

Comment

Originally posted by southbend View Post
                    I've been toying with the idea of starting and maintaining a couple of registries. One for 1950 Land Cruiser owners, and one for 1935 owners--all lines. The reasons are obvious if you look at my avatar and my signature photo. Any thoughts or suggestions about how to do this? I have a good amount of spare time these days, so that's not really an issue. Thanks.
                    I have never created/managed a vehicle registry but here are a couple of thoughts:

Let Google be your partner. Google offers a great number of free tools that can help you collect, store, manage and distribute data such as a registry. Did I mention that it is FREE?

Google Forms - Use this to make it easy for owners to submit their info online. Here's an info link:

Google Spreadsheet - pretty much like MS excel but free. You can set it up so your submitted forms will go right into the spreadsheet instantly. Here's an info link:

Google Sites - lets you set up a free website explaining your registry. You'd embed the link to your form in the web page, include photos, etc. here's the info link:
                    Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what you're looking for.

Yes, do write up a description of your registry and send it to Ann Turner for Turning Wheels. Be sure to list what specific info you want submitted. Include your mailing address, email addy, and the link to the online form so no one will be excluded from participating.

The thought to send the article to chapter newsletter editors is also good. I may be able to assist you is reaching chapter editors so PM me when you are ready with your article.

You should also think about a "privacy policy" delineating clearly what you will and will not do with info received. I personally believe this is important as some owners may not want some or all of their personal info made available on a distributed list.

Good luck with your endeavor.
                    sigpic
                    Bob Shaw
                    Rush City, Minnesota
                    1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
                    "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

And be sure to contact Frank Ambrogio who developed and maintains the Golden Hawk Registry. He has everything down pat and is a wsealth of knowledge.

Stu Chapman

Comment

I hope you go ahead with this; a registry is a great aid to members who are researching a car they just bought. I think a registry is like a history book and it should be available to researchers.

I do have to say that regisrties are often hidden away privately; as an example there was much effort put into the SPEEDSTER registry but its not available to see or use in any way. What this lack of trancparancy means is that when the registry person gets sick or just drops out of the forum then all is lost. IMHO Studebaker registry stuff should be a line-item or sticky on our Forum for viewing only. The maker would control additions etc.
                        Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

rkapteyn, I'm in the process of buying a PH. I think I could help get Mike Williams' site reposted w/o threat from hackers. let me know.
                          1951 Custom
                          1958 Packard Hawk < resto project
                          1962 Champ
                          1963 Standard R1 4 speed
                          1963 Avanti R1
                          1963 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
                          2006 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by unclemiltie View Post
                            I wonder if SDC could create a spot on their web space to contain a registry for all studebakers where we could all go and update what we have?????? This way the registry's would all be in one spot and individuals would not get tired of maintaining them.
                            SDC does have registries on the web site. Click on "Resources" and then "Other Valuable Links" and there they are.

Stu Chapman

Comment

I emailed Mike Williams and hopefully he will respond.
                              did anyone download his site?

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Working...
                              X