Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a good intake?

I have been watching this intake on ebay for a while now:

I guess I would like to know if this is an actual Studebaker part or just another Cadillac intake being passed off as Studebaker? Also is it worth the asking price? The carbs are both locked up and would need rebuilding.

Has anyone ran a setup like this on a Hawk? I think it would be cool to give my Hawk dual deuces, but heard of how difficult it can be to synchronize them. Also, I am not sure the hood will clear them.

Let me know your experiences with similar setups.

Thanks,
    Sam

All of those manifolds were made for the early engines. That is to say, the manifold ports are smaller than the ports in your heads. If your car is more of a crusier thAn a racer, you'll be fine. There is a couple of those dual two barrel brands around, all simillar in design. One even has the carburetors turned sideways (yours..I can't view the pictures).

There are a few ways to sync. the carburetors. It's NOT a difficult task.
    The cheap tool is the "Uni-Syn". This tool has been around since the earth was mostly water..! The other way is to get a motorcycle tool. It's more accurate, but also more expensive. Either tool will work fine.
    As to the final outcome, that's up to you. What "you" consider good enough..!
    Oh yea...in case anyone says to the contrary....the linkage...this is NOT a progressive assembly. Both carburetors need to open the same amount, at the same time.

Again, all of these twin two barrel manifolds are more of a cruiser setup, but will do just fine in that roll.

Have fun...

Mike

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.

I think since I am leaning more towards performance, this is probably not the intake for me. It would look pretty cool, but I also would like the car to be fun and quick. I am thinking stock intake and a afb 4 barrel might be the better route for me.

Thanks again!
      Sam

Comment

Yes, it's a genuine made-for-'51 Studebaker 232" V8s intake and it did clear the '51-54 hoods.

No, as Mike says, it's not a 289" performance intake.

Maybe, pass on bidding so someone who just wants the bling can get a deal on it.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

In that case...yes.
          The Edelbrock 500cfm carb. is the way to go. No need to go any larger. Just a waste of cfm.
          Note, even with the AFB intake, I "think" you'll need a 1/2" spacer for linkage clearance. The square (WCFB) bolt pattern works also, you just need to do some grinding of the plenum area and get a 1/2" spacer/adapter for the correct bolt pattern. Otherwise they are pretty much the same, except the WCFB pattern is much easier to find.

Mike

Comment

Well I already have an intake that used to be for a two barrel carb but was modified to work with newer 4 barrel carburetors. I also have an old Carter AFB that came off a Chevy (I think) that I could use. I dont know what CFM it is though and it probably needs a rebuild as it has been sitting for a long time. I know it has electric choke, would this mean I can bypass all the heat riser stuff if I were to use it?

Comment

I know it has electric choke, would this mean I can bypass all the heat riser stuff if I were to use it?
              Yes. You could even use the R-series intake gaskets which just have a small hole to let the crossover passage breath.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

Thanks again Jack! I really appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                X